Why you should use a VPN when you play For Honor.

I met players the other day, complaining about other players who were disconnecting them from the session. I was curious about that, since For Honor relies on Peer-to-Peer connection.

Then, I was browsing the forum when I found this video from another member of the community: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAU5bIalbnc&t=605s

I downloaded the software from the video, NetLimiter 4. With that, I can have the IP addresses of everyone in the session. I can also KILL THE CONNECTION OF ANYBODY IN THE SESSION.

Yes, you read right.

BE CAREFUL EVERYONE!

There's a petition out there, asking Ubisoft to get Dedicated servers. This will prevent hackers from getting your IP address... I don't really know much about hacking but if I can get my hands on free software like this, everybody can so everybody can be a threat.

Petition link: https://www.change.org/p/ubisoft-for...edium=copylink

Play safe everyone.
     19 people found this helpful

I agree
     1 people found this helpful

I'm bumping my thread because I think it is something really important that player should know about. We're talking about security issues, not only connectivity.

Please Ubisoft, do something about it.

Ryuichir0's Avatar Member
    Bump so more people learn about the security risk.

As a programmer I can't really believe that this has to be pointed out by the community. I shudder when I consider that I can get hands on the IP of 7 people every ~1 minute and how often gamers open random ports in their firewalls, so their games work in the first place.
    And that from the same game that suggests you disable your Bit Defender because it can interfere with the game...
     2 people found this helpful

Didn't realize this, thanks for bringing it up. Really hard to believe that a full priced AAA title with microtransactions would forego dedicated servers.

phLOxRSA's Avatar Member
    Not sure that this is related, but during Beta I were in a match that started bad, but our team (4v4) was making a comeback. During the final decider match, with 2v1 in our favor, the match abruptly disconnected everyone. At that moment, it felt a lot like being booted on purpose and it took me back to being "nuked" in IRC. Suspicious at the least. Dedicated servers could be a plus.

Because of their somewhat "special" way to host games blocking someones packages and DDoSiNg them can bring different results in a match. I'm not quite sure about the system myself, but from what I understood the host still handles Invites AND HANDSHAKES which should have the following consequences.

• When the host blocks the IP of a client this client should just get dropped.
    • When a client blocks the host he will just disconnect himself from the match.
    • When a client blocks the IP of another client the host should try to reconnect both of them which fails again and again.
      After a while something has to happen, maybe he just drops one of both players or both, in the worst case he will kill the whole match.
    • Successful DDoSiNg would in all cases drop the targeted player, BUT the average "Script kiddie" doesn't have access to a bot network with the capability to do this and the times where you could DDoS someone just by yourself are over.

I don't know a way to tell who is the host of a match so blocking someone is somewhat of a coin flip.
    But if someone knows he is the host he can just drop everyone as he likes.

Besides all this, the main problem here aren't the consequences in For Honor but the security of your Local Network in general.

PS: If I misunderstood something about this system please tell me!

I think a forum poll would do better than Change.org. Just saying.

i did not know that.
    and im even more appalled about this situation.

how many other Ubi games work via P2P.
    Rainbow?
    AC Multiplayer?
    Wildlands?

i dont know, but thinking about it is really scary.

Daily Bump, because it's an important issue.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... Last ►►