When should I start investing steel in my characters?

Pretty self- explanatory topic. A quick googling on this matter recommends you to not spend any steel\faction material on upgrading your character until at least lvl 20 (prestige 1), because really good items will only drop after that, and there is no point in upgrading garbage under- prestige 1 items.

Right now I'm a prestige - 1, lvl 10 warden, and I dunno wht to do with my resources. Lvls keep coming at a nice pace, so I will be prestige 2 rather fast. When is the sweetspot to start upgrading your characters? Resources are quite hard to get in this game...

P.S.

I'm aware that all progress will be reset upon release, and I'm not risking much by investing in my characters early. But still, I would like to learn upgrade strategy to use after full release.

Originally Posted by Capt.Butthurt Go to original post
    Pretty self- explanatory topic. A quick googling on this matter recommends you to not spend any steel\faction material on upgrading your character until at least lvl 20 (prestige 1), because really good items will only drop after that, and there is no point in upgrading garbage under- prestige 1 items.

Right now I'm a prestige - 1, lvl 10 warden, and I dunno wht to do with my resources. Lvls keep coming at a nice pace, so I will be prestige 2 rather fast. When is the sweetspot to start upgrading your characters? Resources are quite hard to get in this game...

P.S.

I'm aware that all progress will be reset upon release, and I'm not risking much by investing in my characters early. But still, I would like to learn upgrade strategy to use after full release.
    you gear rarity will go up with your level / reputation (the silver icon after you hit lvl 20 in a character) what i would do is recruit the people you like to play, invest a little steel into your main just for a slight buff at the start, then save your steel untill you hit presteige 1 lvl 15 or prestege 2 thats when very good rarity gear so when you buy crates that give you items with steal you can get lvl 5 + gear

Originally Posted by Capt.Butthurt Go to original post

P.S.

I heard you find good stuff like same stuff you would spend your points scavenging. You can buy ornaments for like 1000 and 3000 or finishers and emotes, id prob spend them on that honestly. As you find the same stuff you would scavenge. Also Rumor has it, like how ubisoft does with seige, you will be able to buy characters with ingame money. Now in Seige they are 25,000, so i assume they will be the same. You can just save up for that so you dont have to spend real monies on the season pass as all the maps are free.

I waited until prestige 3 this time before buying any scavenging crates. Ended up with gear score 89 off all legendary purple items.

Originally Posted by MidnightVanilla Go to original post
    I heard you find good stuff like same stuff you would spend your points scavenging. You can buy ornaments for like 1000 and 3000 or finishers and emotes, id prob spend them on that honestly. As you find the same stuff you would scavenge. Also Rumor has it, like how ubisoft does with seige, you will be able to buy characters with ingame money. Now in Seige they are 25,000, so i assume they will be the same. You can just save up for that so you dont have to spend real monies on the season pass as all the maps are free.
    Basically this. It's not a rumor though. Ubisoft themselves said DLC content would be available for free. Season pass just unlocks the new warriors and gives early access. If you don't care about cosmetics, saving your steel for DLC warriors should save you a lot of time. Farming times for DLC operators in Rainbow 6: Siege were in the 12-25 hours range.

That said, I don't think "upgrade" is the correct term here. They're more like sidegrades, dump stats not withstanding. The equipment bonuses aren't exactly bonuses, they just move stats around. As it is in beta, white and blue gear raises one stat, keeps one the same, and lowers the third. The purple gear raises 2 stats (one more than the other) and significantly lowers the third. I don't think the bars are scaled representations of the effects either. Doubling my throw stat was far from doubled distance, but lowering it by half made me fail to throw people off ledges that were only 3 feet away.

In terms of overall value for steel, I personally think DLC > champion status > equipment > cosmetics.

See video below for higher level gear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KW7-ZhkDpic