🛈 Announcement
Greetings! The Division forums are now archived and accessible in read-only mode, please go to the new platform to discuss the game
    Ubi_Yannick's Avatar Senior Community Developer

Health changes explained

Hi there,

There's been a lot of discussion and confusion regarding the changes we did with Armor and Health with this PTS, so we've put together a FAQ that should help you better understand our intentions.

Q: Why was Armor changed to Health?
    A: In 1.4 and 1.5, Armor was perceived as the best in slot bonus for gear. It made the game stale and choices in how to customize your character very narrow. Much of this was because Armor is a non-linear stat. 1% of it when you are at 50% mitigation is better than 1% when you were at 30% mitigation in that it will result in more damage resisted. So the more you invested, the better it got. Furthermore, Armor only mitigates bullet damage; even with a high toughness, players had low health pools “behind the scenes”. This meant that explosions, fire and other hazards did large amounts of damage even when your toughness looked high. It also meant that healing skills had very little Health to have an impact on, meaning we did not have any room for them to be more or less efficient depending on your Skill Power.

Q: Will I be squishier now with less Armor?
    A: Toughness is a value that combines Armor and Health to show you the amount of bullet damage it takes to kill you. Basically every bullet is reduced in damage according to your Armor. 50% mitigation would reduce the bullets damage by 50% et.c. This means that if you have less Armor, but more health, the bullet will do more damage, but on a larger health pool, which means it will still take the same amount of bullets to kill you. The bigger health pool also means you can take more of a beating from explosions, fire and the like, so in a sense you are less squishy than before.

Q: Why won’t +Health become “must-pick”?
    A: A couple of reasons. Firstly, it is linear. It does not get better the more you stack it. That means you are freer to pick it up to a point you are comfortable with and then pick some other major bonuses up. Secondly, we have reduced the size of this bonus to make it a little less enticing to pick against other stats. Lastly, we buffed or introduced other stats in the major slots to compete with +Health for interesting choices.

Q: But if you reduced the +Health major bonus, wont I be squishier?
    A: We also introduced an amount of “free” Base health that derives from your level and which World Tier you are in. This means that everyone gets more survivability but the max you can reach is a little lower. Only very tanky players should feel the difference.

Q: I am a tank and invested everything into toughness stats. Won’t I be squishier than before?
    A: You are a bit. However, the tools of a tank - like the ballistic shield and to a lesser degree mobile cover - as well as the healing of your support players, have improved.

Q: Did you change how much stamina is worth too?
    A: Yes. As part of moving some of the “must-pick” health into the new free health pool, we adjusted the value of stamina at end game. It used to be 30 health per stamina, and is now 15. This is compensated by the free base health.

Q: Will Skill power and Electronics be the only viable builds now?
    A: The goal of all these changes is to make a large variety of builds viable. Currently on the test servers, we are seeing very good efficiency for support players, while we see DPS and tank builds struggling to compete. We will be adjusting both the efficiency of the skill builds at the top end as well as improving the utilities of skills for DPS and tank players so that they can compete.

I will give 1.6 exactly 2 days, and if during that 2 days I am squishy in the least, kiss my *** goodbye. Over 2000 hours in this game and here you are breaking it, again. JUst when this game was getting back on its feet too. You guys have to have amnesia.

markvrk's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by cocor3000 Go to original post
    I will give 1.6 exactly 2 days, and if during that 2 days I am squishy in the least, kiss my *** goodbye. Over 2000 hours in this game and here you are breaking it, again. JUst when this game was getting back on its feet too. You guys have to have amnesia.
    So if in 2 days if you can't face-tank, use the same game-style as in 1.5, ignore everything that's been said about focusing more on cover (etc.), think before acting, trying different approachs/play-styles....you'll quit?

Wow...such a potential loss...another "If I don't get things my way, I'm leaving" type of player gone...what will the rest of us do....

sandpants's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by Vrx Go to original post
    So if in 2 days if you can't face-tank, use the same game-style as in 1.5, ignore everything that's been said about focusing more on cover (etc.), think before acting, trying different approachs/play-styles....you'll quit?

Wow...such a potential loss...another "If I don't get things my way, I'm leaving" type of player gone...what will the rest of us do....
    Play a dead game apparently.
    Cos God knows garbage people rule the world.

Just stop trying to balance the game and focus on fixing the bugs.
    Sorry to say but you proved that you are not able to balance the game.
    You just ruining the game.

So what is the plan for improving firearms or is everyone still in denial of the issue with that?

" 30 health per stamina, and is now 15 "
    " nerf medikit "
    " No sprint while reloading "
    these things kill all shotguns. However DZ07-09 have many indoor spaces, shotguns are worthless.

I like shotguns, but in PTS, they're all craps in fact.

Armor was obviously a huge issue but what they changed it to made armor more pointless than when we had to get just enough armor to hit armor cap. Now that everyone has same armor it really means nothing. They could toss it OR change all their ADR stuff to armor and perhaps lower the armor cap. would make EAD more interesting.

They should also add a base EDR to players to better balance exotic damage in pvp and pve. that way pve players do not have to see a huge drop in effectiveness with exotic damage but pvp players do not have to deal with their excessive effectiveness. would need to see base edr effectiveness before improving edr on gear.

Change stamina back to 30 and remove the free health. then make change FA math to raise the upper limit and lower the lower limit or Firearms effectiveness while keeping the mid FA the same. This would lower the damage of stamina stackers and electronic stackers thus making actual dps builds worth while and actually be usable to fight against tanks and healers.

could also try a drastically slowed reload when sprinting, perhaps just for some weapon while leaving other ones at cant reload while sprinting.

CHC and CHD needs some work too.

STAT CLARITY, NO ONE KNOWS WHAT EVERYTHING DOES WELL ENOUGH. also please make patch notes more complete.

It is a PTS, please consider these changes for at least one week. could even create a second PTS for radical ideas.

In all the communication I read or listen to I never saw "we felt that the game was too easy so we decided to make it harder". Be fair and say it that way. Even if the challenge difficulty is soloable, it's a bit harder, and I'm not sure that the majority who loved 1.4/1.5 will be pleased by such changed.