HOWTO: Move uPlay and games to a new drive

Posting this as a service to the community. By googling I found many posts on the topic, but nothing comprehensive to all of uPlay, nor simple and straightforward. I suggest stickying it or moving it to an appropriate "tutorials / HOWTO subforum" if such a thing exists.

MOTIVATION:

I am fairly paranoid about being able to recover against crashes. So I run only Windows on a C: SSD (with automatic backups to another drive so that I can quickly restore C: by replacing the drive and restoring) and put all of my software and data on a D: drivepool (using Stablebit's software, so that if a drive goes bad I simply remove it and keep on working until I buy the replacement for the broken drive).

But being aware that games run much better on an SSD and I just got a 2nd SSD, I set it up as E:. That way I get the performance gains, and if E: crashes I can always reinstall the games themselves. Or later with a 3rd SSD I could even setup E: as a drivepool.

OBJECTIVE
    :

1) Move my games to E:

2) Move the save data folder back in D: so that they will be backed up automatically and I won't lose them if E: crashes.

3) Move any large and frequently changing folders (screenshots, video recordings, etc) to D: so that I don't constantly bang on the SSD thus reducing its lifespan.

STEPS:

1) If any of your Ubi games are installed from Steam, move Steam to E: first. I won't describe this as you can google and find reliable instructions for it easily.

2) With uPlay closed (not running), move your uPlay folder to the new drive. If you are paranoid (like me) first copy it, then rename the old one (for example add BAK to the folder name).

If you used custom folder names, make sure you don't forget to:

- Move the Ubisoft Game Launcher folder.
    - Move each individual game folder.

For me (I had put it all under a uPlay folder in D it was just one folder to move.

3) If you use a shortcut to launch uPlay, make sure to update it so that it is pointing to uplay.exe in your new drive and that it has the correct new folder path. Otherwise, just launch uplay.exe.

4) Repeat the following for each game, inside uPlay:

- Select the game.

- The button that normally says "Play" will show as "Download". That's OK, hit it.

- Next change the target folder to the location where the game is in your new drive.

- Proceed with the "download". The process with start with a check of files... and - so long as you had played it recently - go straight to "Download Complete" and give you a Play button. At this point you are done with the specific game. If you had not applied some patch, the game will proceed to apply any patches

5) At some point the old original folder might show up again, but it will contain no files. It should be OK to delete it. If it persists in coming back you can ignore it (as it uses no space) but if it does persist in coming back... it would be nice if anyone could provide insight on how to get rid of it permanently.

6) Next comes moving saved games and folders of large and frequently changing stuff back on the regular D: drive. The best way for this is to move those folders and then create a Windows Hard Symbolic Link that makes it appear as if it was on the the SSD (E drive. This is a standard feature of Windows that is somehow not very well known. Luckily it is very well documented if you google for it. I've used this tutorial with great success in the past: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/16226...dows-or-linux/

I hope you guys find this useful. Be safe. Have fun. Enjoy.
     4 people found this helpful

Thanks

Thank you so much for this tuto. Did all you said with great result. Now its from my 1 tb HD to my 500GB SSD, only for UPLAY games that is. Again thanks for helping out.
     1 people found this helpful

Thank you

Excellent post. Thank you for the tut, just grabbed an additional ssd to put my games on and this was quite useful.

Symbolic Link

I did not try it, but probably you can use a symlink - example:

mklink /J "C:\Link To Folder" "C:\Users\Name\Original Folder"

So what you need to do is:
    1. Move the folder from the old destination folder to the new.
    2. Make the link so that the old destination folder points to the new destination folder.

Link to guide:
    https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/1622...dows-or-linux/

Not tested!
     1 people found this helpful

UbiMorning's Avatar Community Representative
    Hi there! We often recommend manually backing up your save data, and doing a uninstall reinstall instead, but thanks for the other suggestions!

Originally Posted by UbiSailorScout Go to original post
    Hi there! We often recommend manually backing up your save data, and doing a uninstall reinstall instead, but thanks for the other suggestions!
    I would recommend to add a simple option in Uplay so players can change the installation folder of their games. First manually move files to other location and then update target folder in Uplay. How difficult can it be. Having to download and install 50GB+ all over again is kind of stupid when you have the game installed already on disc.
     3 people found this helpful

Yeah, I have Destiny 2 and have not played it ever because I would have to download it in pieces across 2 or 3 months. Darn US data caps.

I was just thinking about moving some of my Ubisoft games to make room so google brought me here. I'm just going to move them to a folder and let them sit in the fridge for a bit. They're just games I wouldn't play for a bit anyway. I don't want to move all of my Ubisoft games along with the launcher.

Originally Posted by echolecter Go to original post
    I would recommend to add a simple option in Uplay so players can change the installation folder of their games. First manually move files to other location and then update target folder in Uplay. How difficult can it be. Having to download and install 50GB+ all over again is kind of stupid when you have the game installed already on disc.
    But you can do that without any problem.
    You move the game and then if Uplay doesnt detect your game - you have button "Locate installed game" below "Install" button.
    You point it to new directory where game was moved and it checks if files are ok.
    Done.

Absolutely! with a little patience this "move" should be a piece of cake and definitely not having to re-download 50+GB of data, that's just silly especially with people with slower or capped data usage on their isp account. +1

UbiMorning's Avatar Community Representative
    Thanks for the suggestion guys! I will pass it on to the proper team for review. I appreciate your input!