For honor customization fails the most basic point.

I really like the customizations direction but honestly ubi, u fail me from the fundamentals.

Main complaint. ubisoft dev - "Lets have profiles be shield paints. Now lets put in the work to allow the paint on ur chest." what about the damned shield? why not the most obvious placement? dont say because all characters dont have shields, thats lazy.

Secondary suspected complaint. Not sure about this 1 but beta wouldnt allow it.. choosing gender only works for some classes.. but not the warlord... lets allow a giant raider women but not allow a shield maiden as historically depicted.

I have many complaints but these i definately need an answer for T.T

I have not looked at the characters but I am fairly certain that Samurais historically did not use shields.

Watched a video on this, according to the Metatron they did use shields in there earlier history but since they favor 2handed weapons the shields evolved to shoulder pads and stationary arrow protection.

Heres the video,

I want to be able to take off the pommel and throw it at people!

Kind of off topic to the thread but rel event to the second guy. Samurai did use shields, especially the foot soldiers. The porcupine formation used by the Greek and Romans were also used by the Japanese. The biggest influence was their heavy use of horses. Shield formations like that were good against foot soldiers and archers and weak against cavalry who could plow through them. Longer pike weapons would discourage the horses but they required two hands which meant they couldn't be used with a shield, leaving them vulnerable to archers. The japanese had a similar situation. They like two handed weapons to deal with the heavy use of horses but they also had a heavy use of yumi archers. The macedonians, for example, bypassed this by having the shields hang from their necks like a sling. The Samurai response was to have designated shield bearers carry large two-handed shields and the guys beside/behind them would carry pikes. The shield bearers still carried other weapons but their first duty was to hold the shield, much like how modern ballistic shields are held by one person and his comrades would shoot from behind him. They had also used a similar tactic during the advent of the firearm. Compared to the European style firing line, they would have sturdy shields held by designated holders, designated shooters, and designated reloaders.

To add what the thrid guy said, there is even a part two to the video, a collab with anthony cummins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0C19fMHVW-w

so off point guys.. wtf. make ur own post about the saurai shield issue (although i agree it was a silly thing to have but not my major buzzkill). Can i at least hear some form of feedback on my points..

Originally Posted by Sky-Sweeper Go to original post
    I think the more basic thing that's messed up is we can't even set our own color palettes. We get a bunch of pre sets that we have to unlock as we progress, which feels lazy to me, like they couldn't make enough other customization options so they're locking off colors to give a false sense of more content. A lot of games now a days Let you set your colors how you like from a color scale. Even for teams. This is my biggest gripe with the customising system. That and the lack of lower-armor varieties. In that there are none.
    ^ Agreed. I had that complaint with AC Syndicate. Color should not be "content." You should be able to color as you like - especially as there is no character creation system. There should then be more armor variation, because that's actual content and customization to be excited about working towards - not a color palette.

I also had a complaint about the palettes in AC Syndicate in that they applied color the way they wanted to, and oft times you could not get the color you wanted on the part you wanted. Just do away with palettes and go with a color management system so the game feels like it has some customization/creation that is open to you. Too late to suggest that for this game though.

As for the emblems, I had assumed that they go on the chest for anyone who does not have a shield, but were also applied on the shield for anyone who has a shield. Would be a bit disappointing if this is not the case, since the shield is where you put something like that, at least for traditional shield bearers.
     1 people found this helpful

Dez_troi_aR's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by Yuulaw Go to original post
    I really like the customizations direction but honestly ubi, u fail me from the fundamentals.

Main complaint. ubisoft dev - "Lets have profiles be shield paints. Now lets put in the work to allow the paint on ur chest." what about the damned shield? why not the most obvious placement? dont say because all characters dont have shields, thats lazy.

Secondary suspected complaint. Not sure about this 1 but beta wouldnt allow it.. choosing gender only works for some classes.. but not the warlord... lets allow a giant raider women but not allow a shield maiden as historically depicted.

1. So you are saying that ubisoft "failed" because they let us create Emblems in shield form even though not all of them can be put on shield because some of the heroes dont have shields ? Did i understand that correctly? That is why their customisation system "fails" ? Would you rather have only 2 different charcters, so you can put emblems on shields only instead of shoulderplates, armor, cloth etc ?

2. Also, i guess you think shield maidens are a historical fact because you've seen them on the vikings-tv show. While there were some documentations of female warriors, the whole thing is more a male fantasy based on myth than a actual cultural pattern, according to a scandinavistic professor of mine.

Originally Posted by Dez_troi_aR Go to original post
    1. So you are saying that ubisoft "failed" because they let us create Emblems in shield form even though not all of them can be put on shield because some of the heroes dont have shields ? Did i understand that correctly? That is why their customisation system "fails" ? Would you rather have only 2 different charcters, so you can put emblems on shields only instead of shoulderplates, armor, cloth etc ?

2. Also, i guess you think shield maidens are a historical fact because you've seen them on the vikings-tv show. While there were some documentations of female warriors, the whole thing is more a male fantasy based on myth than a actual cultural pattern, according to a scandinavistic professor of mine.
    1. No you didnt understand that correctly. As i wrote they "failed me". It seems my sense of logic is not coherent with you. I will explain. It seemed a logical thing to me that if you make a shield emblem you should be able to have it on your shield. But they put in the work to allow it on your chest yet wont put in the work to allow it on your shield. To me their emblem creator is the only dynamic customization feature that isnt a "premade selection" which to my standard is not a customization. to further complain those warriors with shields will constantly cover their bodies and the emblem wont see the light of day. You kinda want them to see your emblem and remember it with fear, no?

1.5 "Would you rather have only 2 different charcters, so you can put emblems on shields only instead of shoulderplates, armor, cloth etc ? "
    No idea what your on about here.

2. You can presume what you want about me, i dont care and wont correct you. But i will have you know that historically correct "free women" had equal rights to men which included the occupation of "Viking" (it's a job description not a people or name for the nordic soldiers).

Originally Posted by Yuulaw Go to original post

I kind of agree with your first point and see where you are coming from, but totally agree with your second point.

I was looking forward to playing a Male Peacekeeper and apparently 'she' is Gender-Locked...

Ubisoft, if you are reading this, please don't kill my dreams...

Now I'll either have to be a Warden playing an Assassin's role, or an Orochi pretending to be a Knight (or in the Knight Order, which would be pretty cool actually but still).