jensenpark's Avatar Senior Member
    I'm in Ottawa...right now it's -29 Celcius/-43c with windchill(about -19f or -26f with wind chill).

My computer room is poorly insulated so I feel completely "immersed" in the winter part of a campaign right now...

"Death before unconsciousness" - Uncle Duke

I'm in Ottawa...right now it's -29 Celcius/-43c with windchill(about -19f or -26f with wind chill).

My computer room is poorly insulated so I feel completely "immersed" in the winter part of a campaign right now...

SkyChimp's Avatar Senior Member
    Wasn't it Leningrad that was freezing?

Regards,
    SkyChimp

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SkyChimp:
    Wasn't it Leningrad that was freezing?

_Regards,_
    _SkyChimp_
    http://members.cox.net/rowlandparks/skychimp.jpg <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Both. And the battle for Moscow. And a load of other battles in the east. Germans didn't seem to like the Russian winter.

haha Your not the only one. I'm in Grand Forks, North Dakota. Ive seen -60 Farenheit and I grew up on the east coast where it rarely got below freezing even on the coldest days. I know how the Germans must have felt!

I used to live in Dawson Creek BC several years ago. It would get to about -30c and stay there for a month or so.

Eventually I got used to it, anything above -20 felt like summer. I remember the snow was almost gone in may or something so I put my sports car back on the road and went driving a ways out of town on some backroad. Didn't take long to find a meter deep snow drift across the road and bury my poor car in it. Only looked about an inch deep at before I hit it.

It dipped down to -30 here in Prince George for 3 or 4 days and I felt like I was going to die, it been 4 years since i'd seen that kind of weather.

I remember flying a mission in the russian fighter campaign in the original IL2, it was early morning with soup like fog during the dead of winter. You could only see the moonlight and sunrise as sort of a blue/yellow haze and couldn't see the ground above 300 meters. That was the first time a game actually made it look bloody cold outside, All we need now is for the windows to be frosted/fogged up when you first get into the plane at the start of a mission. Add in some frozen fuel lines, carb heat (or lack of it) and wing icing effects and well, welcome to the eastern front. Can't forget the frozen hydraulics on the german equipment.

Mind boggling to think soldiers actually fought in this kind of cold...day after day...little shelter...next to no food.

Good point. It's hard to imagine how these guys survived, let alone took part in combat around the clock. And how about bomber air crew, who spent 8-10 hours at 25,000+ in unheated, unpressurized cabins (-30F to -60F). The cold was so severe they had to crack the ice from their oxygen tubes to keep them clear. Ambrose, the historian, wrote you could always tell aircrew; they were the guys who had frost bite around their eyes where the mask and helmet didn't cover their faces. They looked like racoons, he said.

Winning isn't everything;
    It's the only thing!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by darkhorizon11:
    I'm in Grand Forks, North Dakota. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Hello from Fargo, darkhorizon11!
    I'm accustomed to Minnesota winters, but there hasn't been a winter there in about 5 years. How long have you been in Grand Forks?

The German army is lucky they didn't have to start gelled-up Diesels when it was -20F out. Now that is fun!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jensenpark:
    Mind boggling to think soldiers actually fought in this kind of cold...day after day...little shelter...next to no food.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Read _The Forgotten Soldier_ (if you haven't already) and it captures the desperation and numbed state of being there.

---
    Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under - H. L. Mencken

Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last ►►