P40 is my favourite plane. Awesome firepower, great manueverability, good armour and fearsome to look at with the sharkmouth. Weaknesses are climb rate and low top speed. How do you gentlemen fight with this bird?

P40 is my favourite plane. Awesome firepower, great manueverability, good armour and fearsome to look at with the sharkmouth. Weaknesses are climb rate and low top speed. How do you gentlemen fight with this bird?

In very simple terms I try to* do what Chernault and Co did back in China: Make sure you have superior height. Dive down on your enemy, shoot him up as badly as you can in one pas, dive past and try to use your extra speed to get up where he can't reach you and repeat the process. It's not particularly manly, but it's effective, and the P-40 not being an overly agile bird, is about the only way to fight a Zero.

* ... and usually blunder it up.

Fly friendly!

Petter Bøckman
    Norway

p1ngu666's Avatar Senior Member
    u can actully mix it up abit with zero's... well i do

against 109's u can tnb also

<123_GWood_JG123> NO SPAM!

PBNA-Boosher's Avatar Senior Member
    a repost of some tactics of mine against Zeros:

It's my main plane. With the dive and speed advantage, you can easily control the fight any time, anywhere. Also it isn't necessary to get everyone on the first pass. Climb up to a good altitude, say about 4000-5000 meters, dive on your targets, especially online, diving down with that much speed will not give your opponents in the zero a chance. Then, once you run through the formation of Zeros, just keep extending away from them. Once you're a good ways away, say about 3.5-5 kilometers, start climbing up again. Attack when they least expect it, and it's always a good idea to work with a partner, or 2, or 3. With the 6 .50's all you need is a short burst, so you can easily take out 2-3 zeros in 1 pass. The more friends flying with you, the more you can take down. If the zeros start to climb toward you to fire, keep shooting at them, and just before you get into combat range, barrel roll, break loose from their grip, extend away 5 kilometers, and then attack when they least expect it again...

If you find yourself with Zeros diving down on you, don't turn to fight them. Get close to the deck and pick up as much speed as possible and extend away. Remember you have a good high speed roll rate and the roll on the Zero suks, so you have the maneuvering advantage in this case. Use light maneuvers so that the Zero constantly has to bleed off his speed, while you gain speed in yours. Then just get out of the combat zone leaving the zeros in the dust.

Keep to those tactics and you'll win every time. Trust me.

Boosher

Copperhead310th's Avatar Banned
    Another thing to remember is that the P-40 is a very well modeled aircraft in this sim. It's also one of the most forgiving. you can learn where the edge of the envolope is in this plane in no time. While you can with time & practice do very well on with this plane in open DF servers. ( all era planes avalible) it's best to fly the p-40's in thier natrual inviroment. in servers up to 1943. After that... if your good you can hold your own with a wingman. but all alone those 190-A6's & 109G-6AS's will eat you alive. Altitude is as other said a key factor to winning in the warhawk. Speed is another. but don't be afraid to turn and burn if you have to. the p-40 can hold it's own here too...but a long drawn out turn fight is not recomended. If it comes down to a 109F/190A-5 and a P-40 each flown by equal pilots....the p-40 will win 8 of 10 times.

310th FS & 380th BG website

karost's Avatar Senior Member
    Hi

I respect p-40 one thing that is DM , I can shoot p-40 easy with 20mm MG 151/20 same as I looking at wwii gun cam.

when I stay on bf109F2 or F4 and I found P-40 below 1000m. along that is my break fast

after p-40 got new .50 seem more challenging to me much , I have to stop using climb turn rope drop tactic , that not work so have to use hi-speed drive (740 km/h) advantage and hi-speed zoom climb bring him over 3000m then manage my batter energy to apply vertical turn to stay over his head 500-700m then roll down make nice deflection shoot to download grade his manuever so most good p-40 pilot will roll out-down when I get close so I not play with that , that is old tactic , I pull up reserv my energer and look his next action and if he still stay along with no one help then I keep ping him with mg or 20mm until he can not manage hi-manuever so I get close and commit him with 20mm at 70meter.

but if I bad luck let p-40 comming on my tail .... no way to dance with him ( mostly I avoid flying lower then 3000m ) roll 180 degree apply negative-g drive close radiator and drive like hell at 750 km/h , yes he will keep spray .50 around me ( just 5-10 round of .50 will make me like a pig flying ) heading to air base and give a secreat code to my friends : "HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP"

S!

Use more rudder than you would with other aircraft in the game.

F19_Ob's Avatar Senior Member
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Hookiey:
    P40 is my favourite plane. Awesome firepower, great manueverability, good armour and fearsome to look at with the sharkmouth. Weaknesses are climb rate and low top speed. How do you gentlemen fight with this bird?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

As mentioned, altitude is important, especially when fighting 109's.
    Be careful( light on the stick) in slowspeed engagements and avoid using rudder in hard turns.
    If u have eneded up on low alt try to get out of the battlearea before climbing to altitude, because 109's love slow, climbing targets.

As stated by F19_Ob the P-40 does not like rudder during edge of wing stall turns. No matter how strong the desire is to step on the rudder don't do it, you'll instantly find yourself inverted or worse in a spin and an easy target.

At higher airspeeds the P-40 can easily TnB the 109s but as the speed drops the 109 amuzingly becomes the better turner, around stall speed the 109 is so much more insanely stable than the P-40 that you can yank back real quick and pop the nose up for shots that no other aircraft can't meet wihtout entering a spin.

So once you've lost your airspeed break into a scissors with a bit of a barrel roll to them and you can use your superior rollrate against the 109.

Historical or not in game a 109G2/6/6AS/10 is going to get the better of the P-40 at a near stall speed circle if their both at 25% fuel.