Ubi-BrokenNinja's Avatar Community Representative

R6 Community Discusses: Doc

This weeks discussion will focus on the operator Doc. This series has been added to the R6 forums to facilitate discussions amongst the community involving operator use, gadets and strategy that often get buried or lost in the abundance of others posts that flood the forums.

The goal of this series is to not only give new players a primer on a specific operator, but also for mid-level or competitive players a chance to share the knowledge that they have accrued in their experiences and maybe let people know something that they did not know before.

For the next week we will discuss Doc.

Link to R6 Operator Information Doc Info HERE
    Doc Wiki
    Rainbow Six Complete Guide

Below are some discussion points we would like to see from community members that decide to respond. Feel free to discuss other information that may be helpful to the community about this operator. Posts that do not contribute to the healthy discussion of this thread will be removed.

• 1) In your opinion, what is this operator’s primary or ideal role in the team?
    • 2) The operator’s gadget and how it will help the team achieve its goals. Please share any tidbits you may know to help expand discussion.
    • 3) The operator’s loadout, and how best to optimize it. This includes primaries, secondaries, and secondary gadgets.
    • 4) What maps and game modes does this operator do well on?
    • 5) What maps and game modes does this operator struggle on?
    • 6) What other operators synergize well with this operator being on their team?
    • 7) What opposing operators check or counter this operator?
    • 8) What strategies have you adopted while playing this operator and why?
    • 9) What is something that a new player should know when playing this operator, or what is something you know that would help a veteran player take that next step?
    • 10) What is your overall opinion of this operator? Where would you rank them among the other operators?

Link to past discussions that are still open for your posting pleasure:

Operators
    Tachanka

Maps
    Bartlett University

I don't play Doc much at all, but I've had plenty of casual experience with him or having him on the team. I love Rook and that means I can love Doc too.

1. Role: support and objective holding. Doc is supposed to be a central figure that can support teammates near the objective that are in a gunfight and may be downed. With heavy armor and a shield, Doc can stay in or near the objective and hold an angle quite well.
    2. Gadget: Revive/heal teammates and doesn't require much explaining. However, it requires LoS to a downed teammate which means he needs to follow the team around. Or teammates need to come back to OBJ if they have taken significant damage and need healing. It's up to him to support the team just as much as they should aid his task to support them.
    3. Doc has the same weapons as Rook, which makes him able to have MP5 with ACOG (a strong weapon combo). His shield/wire is useful to aid him in holding down the objective.
    4. Doc does well on maps that are smaller or have strong objective areas which can only be breached from one or two entrances. Club House, House, Hereford, and Bank come to mind.
    5. Doc struggles if the map calls for lots of roaming, has a difficult set of objectives to hold, or the team is likely to leave Doc alone. Favelas, Consulate, and Yacht
    6. Synergy Teammates: Teammates holding the OBJ or high armor teammates that don't wander too far take strong advantage of Doc. Pulse, Rook, Echo, Castle
    7. Counters: Ops that light the OBJ up and have area denial or hold angles well. Fuze, Capitao, Glaz, Blackbeard (and maybe Twitch for killing downed Ops)
    8. Strategies: Stay within LoS of teammates. If a teammate goes down, run to another teammate. If the teammate is in a firefight, shoot them with stim pistol. When you are alone, buff yourself in Obj and fight to the death. Your effectiveness is to be a fat doctor that follows people.
    9. No other tips, I play Doc on casual only. But you shouldn't play Doc unless you've had the moment of really wishing you had one (got hit by Fuze in obj or something, downed an opponent but also got injured, etc.)
    10. Doc is not a must pick but on particular maps he can be effective with a team that communicates and doesn't wander too far from Obj. However, this is somewhat counter to the meta of spawn killing and roaming.

DroNium.-LFT's Avatar Member
    I like Doc a lot now, the last buff really made him useful and very attractive operator to use.

1) In your opinion, what is this operator’s primary or ideal role in the team?
    He's a support role, he should not be roaming and should be always very close to objective or other teammates, when playing Doc you should make sure and look at other teammates health and try and heal them even if they don't ask for it.

2) The operator’s gadget and how it will help the team achieve its goals. Please share any tidbits you may know to help expand discussion.
    Healing operator, up to 120hp which is health of a 6th operator if you will, reviving operator is secondary objective as it doesn't happen as regularly. healing should be prime objective as well as not getting killed first. Not to mention he is armor 3 which makes him harder to kill

3) The operator’s loadout, and how best to optimize it. This includes primaries, secondaries, and secondary gadgets.
    In my opinion, this is the load out I found most useful for Doc's role.
    MP5 with ACOG and Flash Fire, LFP pistol and shield.

4) What maps and game modes does this operator do well on?
    Doesn't apply, he's good on all maps and all objectives, he is slightly more useful with hostages as he could revive from afar however this is very rare

5) What maps and game modes does this operator struggle on?
    He struggles in Close Quarter Combat, so I must say Favela, you may wish to pick shotgun on this map, reason he struggles is because rooms and map in general is small.

6) What other operators synergize well with this operator being on their team?
    This is going to be obvious, but Rook and that's because of the extra armor which makes Doc extra harder to kill

7) What opposing operators check or counter this operator?
    Capitao, Glaz, Fuze due to their gadgets and high DPS

8) What strategies have you adopted while playing this operator and why?
    Mainly when I play Doc I try to stay close to teammates and objective, I do not roam with this operator, always try and stay in cover and when peaking only for short while and leaving as small window as possible for enemies to hit me.

9) What is something that a new player should know when playing this operator, or what is something you know that would help a veteran player take that next step?
    As already mentioned, when choosing this operator you need to make sure that you are being active rather than re-active, by that I mean you should be on lookout for who needs a heal, who needs a revive, and if some operator needs healing and he's far away you could suggest a heal to him

10) What is your overall opinion of this operator? Where would you rank them among the other operators?
    He's definitely a very good operator, very supportive role so if you like someone on offence then this might not be the operator for you, he's not a necessity to be picked but having him on team will certainly give you the edge over enemies.

WBBCoop's Avatar Senior Member
    Ubi-BrokenNinja; Link to past discussions that are still open for your posting pleasure:
    You unlocked the Chanka thread..sweet! Can we post vids in there now..or should we stick to the bullet points? Anyways, on to Doc.

1) In your opinion, what is this operatorís primary or ideal role in the team?
    In a perfect world..Defend, Heal, Revive and Buff. But I've seen that this cat do all sorts of things since the upgrade. I would say the player needs to feel comfortable being a front line doc or stick to an Obj. M.A.S.H. unit where he can be more effective.

2) The operatorís gadget and how it will help the team achieve its goals. Please share any tidbits you may know to help expand discussion.
    He needs to be able to think on his feet when using his gad. I normally stay in a safe(ish) spot, intentionally down a friendly so I can get the full benefit of each stim, or I may have to quickly heal comrades on the go due to an aggressive team or an overzealous Twitch. As mentioned, watching other players health and making the decision on when and who gets healed can be a particularly intriguing choice...if we had an acog on his thingy it would help but more often it's first come first serve.

3) The operatorís loadout, and how best to optimize it. This includes primaries, secondaries, and secondary gadgets.
    I don't think its my place to consider an optimized loadout as it has a personal preference feeling to it. It would be nice if he had Rooks impacts to make him more mobile..but barbs are good for sealing off the healing room and the shield is great for windo...um j/k..those really cramped situations

For the T-Hunt fans out there he could actually come in handy..anyone want to do realistic? But really any map or mode he can slug through given his acog options.

I actually think the larger maps can be a real pita due to his slow speed. Ok..hostage too if he's feeling like roaming that day.

Aside from Rook and the hostage?..Anyone tea bagging you begging for a hit.

The only one that really stands out is Twitch. A good twitch can really hurt him early.

The only way I can play him is to hang back healing until I have no more left..then focus on the guys trying to take my head off.

9) What is something that a new player should know when playing this operator, or what is something you know that would help a veteran player take that next step?
    Remember, this thing is loud folks. We can hear you overheal in the closet. Those things work great in a pinch for heal-ups..but for the best results the dbno state is where its at.

10) What is your overall opinion of this operator? Where would you rank them among the other operators?
    He's a great concept, and in the right hands he's always had my back when it counted. I, however, am not the right hands and feel I can play a better part with another operator in all situations. Not that he is a bad pick, but I feel he is too slow to perform his duties proper..and lacks that certain something that really makes him shine.

Doc

I don't look at any operator as a 'support' or a 'carry' because they all have their primary guns that can deal damage to kill.

2) The operator’s gadget and how it will help the team achieve its goals. Please share any tidbits you may know to help expand discussion.
    Stay near teammates, but this can be a bad thing because you're forced to play this way even though there may be an opportunity to help the team do better.

3) The operator’s loadout, and how best to optimize it. This includes primaries, secondaries, and secondary gadgets.
    None

Neutral

Neutral

There's not a specific operator that makes the two a dynamic duo.

Neutral

None

For new players, Doc can give teammates more hp. For veteran players, nothing.

Doc's special gadget to heal with the stem gun is insignificant and having only three shots is not worth a pick. The main reason why I would pick him (which I rarely do) is because he can revive teammates from a distance, but let's be honest, it's not a sure bet that a teammate will be down everytime (most of the time killed) rendering Doc to be somewhat useless. I would rank Doc between somewhere near the bottom to average.

*Neutral - it just depends on the user

Obviously support and definitely not a roamer

I feel like his gadget still could be a bit stronger in terms of the healing though. Its nice to get people up and give them a temporary boost, but I feel like his role should be to help the team recoup after a failed attempt by the attacking team and get them ready for the next wave.

His loadout is perfect where it is. Doc and Rooks weapons are some of the most balanced in the game in my opinion.

His best mode is Hostage. If god forbid someone on your team downs the hostage Doc can get them up instantly. He is versatile enough to work well on any map.

His worst mode is Bomb defusal. He suffers when the team is spread out because it makes it alot harder to get them the support they need.

He works best with rook because between the two of them they give the defenders an increased ability to receive damage which in this game is a VERY big deal.

Fuze, Glaz and Capitao in my opinion counter him. Due to their gadgets and loadouts they very rarely leave people injured for long. Doc can't be effective if everyone dies instead of just going down.

I ALWAYS make sure there is something between me and the direction I am shooting so if I go down I have cover long enough to get myself back up. I also try my best to stay close to teammates so that I can instantly help them if they need it.

Doc is NOT meant to be a carry. His job is not to roam around and pick off attackers. his job is to provide back up to the other operators. He stays on or near the objective to provide as much support through healing, covering fire and shielding. The less selfish you are when you play Doc the more effective you are.

Doc right now is not a very effective pick and I very rarely see him used when I play ranked. The meta right now leans more towards roaming and speed rather than the wait and see playstyle that Doc utilizes. If more people stayed on the objective and actually defended it rather than going to hunt for kills then Doc would be far more useful, but that just isnt the case right now.

EDIT: Also like Kapkan and Frost Doc relies on the OTHER team making mistakes and being bad. He relies on the other teams inability to finish their kills before he can make the save. That makes him only as good as the other team is bad. So against a great team he is WAY less effective than other Operators with more useful gadgets like Mute, Pulse or Jager.

My Sugestions

Doc "Medic"

1. Give him 4 second healing over time... where he gets a maximum of 20 exstra health on at healing over time

2. 130 health on over heal or more. so he get Avaible to survive a granade or explosive for that matter.

3. give him 4 syringes.

4. and a 15%-25% chance of getting critt heal... where he might getting insted of 20 healing over time he gets then 10 exstra on healing over time, and 20 more on flat healing

you could also say that you could make it so doc, can only use 2 syringes on him self, and the 2 exstra has to be used on teammates.

Personally I think Doc is a very good and balanced operator. There is only one thing I would change about him and that is increase the maximum overheal potential.

With the current system the cap on the overheal is both too low and dies off way too fast which makes it very unusable. It is pretty much always better to just watch your angle rather than waste time healing (which is noisy as well) wheres it also saves your darts for later use. Making it a bit higher would require more thinking about how to use and manage them which would add more depth to the operator.

Originally Posted by UL_BULLET Go to original post
    I don't play Doc much at all, but I've had plenty of casual experience with him or having him on the team. I love Rook and that means I can love Doc too.

1. Role: support and objective holding. Doc is supposed to be a central figure that can support teammates near the objective that are in a gunfight and may be downed. With heavy armor and a shield, Doc can stay in or near the objective and hold an angle quite well.
    2. Gadget: Revive/heal teammates and doesn't require much explaining. However, it requires LoS to a downed teammate which means he needs to follow the team around. Or teammates need to come back to OBJ if they have taken significant damage and need healing. It's up to him to support the team just as much as they should aid his task to support them.
    3. Doc has the same weapons as Rook, which makes him able to have MP5 with ACOG (a strong weapon combo). His shield/wire is useful to aid him in holding down the objective.
    4. Doc does well on maps that are smaller or have strong objective areas which can only be breached from one or two entrances. Club House, House, Hereford, and Bank come to mind.
    5. Doc struggles if the map calls for lots of roaming, has a difficult set of objectives to hold, or the team is likely to leave Doc alone. Favelas, Consulate, and Yacht
    6. Synergy Teammates: Teammates holding the OBJ or high armor teammates that don't wander too far take strong advantage of Doc. Pulse, Rook, Echo, Castle
    7. Counters: Ops that light the OBJ up and have area denial or hold angles well. Fuze, Capitao, Glaz, Blackbeard (and maybe Twitch for killing downed Ops)
    8. Strategies: Stay within LoS of teammates. If a teammate goes down, run to another teammate. If the teammate is in a firefight, shoot them with stim pistol. When you are alone, buff yourself in Obj and fight to the death. Your effectiveness is to be a fat doctor that follows people.
    9. No other tips, I play Doc on casual only. But you shouldn't play Doc unless you've had the moment of really wishing you had one (got hit by Fuze in obj or something, downed an opponent but also got injured, etc.)
    10. Doc is not a must pick but on particular maps he can be effective with a team that communicates and doesn't wander too far from Obj. However, this is somewhat counter to the meta of spawn killing and roaming.
    Some great points in here @UL_BULLET

Is there a reason you choose not to use him in a competitive match? Is it just map selection or does Rook have your heart?

Originally Posted by Validus_DRO Go to original post
    I like Doc a lot now, the last buff really made him useful and very attractive operator to use.

He's a support role, he should not be roaming and should be always very close to objective or other teammates, when playing Doc you should make sure and look at other teammates health and try and heal them even if they don't ask for it.

Healing operator, up to 120hp which is health of a 6th operator if you will, reviving operator is secondary objective as it doesn't happen as regularly. healing should be prime objective as well as not getting killed first. Not to mention he is armor 3 which makes him harder to kill

In my opinion, this is the load out I found most useful for Doc's role.
    MP5 with ACOG and Flash Fire, LFP pistol and shield.

Doesn't apply, he's good on all maps and all objectives, he is slightly more useful with hostages as he could revive from afar however this is very rare

He struggles in Close Quarter Combat, so I must say Favela, you may wish to pick shotgun on this map, reason he struggles is because rooms and map in general is small.

This is going to be obvious, but Rook and that's because of the extra armor which makes Doc extra harder to kill

Capitao, Glaz, Fuze due to their gadgets and high DPS

Mainly when I play Doc I try to stay close to teammates and objective, I do not roam with this operator, always try and stay in cover and when peaking only for short while and leaving as small window as possible for enemies to hit me.

As already mentioned, when choosing this operator you need to make sure that you are being active rather than re-active, by that I mean you should be on lookout for who needs a heal, who needs a revive, and if some operator needs healing and he's far away you could suggest a heal to him

He's definitely a very good operator, very supportive role so if you like someone on offence then this might not be the operator for you, he's not a necessity to be picked but having him on team will certainly give you the edge over enemies.
    We can tell you love playing Doc @Validus_DRO

Some great starting parts in here, especially when discussing the loadout that is recommended. Is there a reason you feel this loadout makes the most sense?