[CM 11]. Chessmaster opponent (2900+) in Chess Burgers tournament (1000 - 1200).

Hello!

I have a problem with my Chessmaster Grandmaster Edition game. In a tournament called "Chess Burgers" with rating limit 1000 - 1200 there always appeares the strongest opponent in the game - Chessmaster. What the heck?! I tried creating new accounts and re-launching the tournament but nothing helps: Chessmaster is always there. Can I solve this problem somehow?

Very strange... I created a tournament with the same rating limit (1000 - 1200) and I ended up with 12 opponents... the Chessmaster was not among them.

Can you give some more details about the tournament you created (Round Robin or Swiss, Time Controls, etc.)?

Originally Posted by KHollister Go to original post
    Very strange... I created a tournament with the same rating limit (1000 - 1200) and I ended up with 12 opponents... the Chessmaster was not among them.

Can you give some more details about the tournament you created (Round Robin or Swiss, Time Controls, etc.)?
    I did not create any tournaments. "Chess Burgers" is a default tournament in Chessmaster GE. And Chessmaster always appeares in this tournament among 1000 -1200 players.

Sorry... I didn't see it at first.

Anyway, when I start this tournament, I see 11 other players:

1. Marius
    2, Lucy
    3. Thorian
    4. Willow
    5. Christian
    6. Josh (Age 6)
    7. Berry
    8. Raj
    9. Mark
    10. Jeff
    11. Joey

I'm the twelfth (and last) player. The Chessmaster isn't part of the tournament.

It seems smth is wrong with my copy of the game. I run a licenced Chessmaster. The version is 1.20 (Russian localization by Akella).

I also have Chessmaster 10. And you know what...

There is no Willow in this list and Chessmaster replaces her. I looked at her in "Ranked play" and her rating is 1201 How come?!

I've found a solution.

It is written in CM manual that AI rating depends on your system performance. There is basic rating of AI and if your PC's RAM and processor are good enough AI rating would increase (and so is vice versa).

I decided to decrease AI rating by lauching some resources concuming program like video converter and then launching CM. As a result of this sequence of moves AI rating decreased (I launched CM when processor usage was 80-90% lol). For example Willow's rating decreased from 1201 to 1886. I then launched the "Chess Burgers" tournament and instead of Chessmaster there appeared Willow as it should be!

For anyone who's still running into this issue, I have another solution.

In your Chessmaster installation folder, there is a subdirectory path Data/Personalities. In here, there are hundreds of files, each clearly named and representing one of the A.I. personalities. My solution was to temporarily remove all of the personalities except the ones you expect to see in the tournament.

So, if KHollister's earlier list is assumed to be correct, these 11 should be:

Berry
    Christian
    Jeff
    Joey
    Josh (Age 6)
    Lucy
    Marius
    Mark
    Raj
    Thorian
    Willow

I simply created a subfolder in this directory and moved every other personality into there, leaving just these 11 in their original place. Restart the game (if you still had it open, just in case it keeps the previously loaded personalities in memory) and hey-presto, only these personalities appear in the tournament. You can then revert your changes once you've played through the tournament and you can move onto the next ones as normal.

One other thing to note is that simply moving the Chessmaster personality alone out does not seem to have the desired effect - another very strong opponent may be selected instead (in my case it was Alekhine). Similarly, just renaming the personality file doesn't seem to work, either - I tried renaming Chessmaster to Willow, and Willow to Chessmaster - but Chessmaster still appeared (at full strength), so I guess the game makes its selections by looking inside the files rather than reading the filenames.

Hope that helps someone.
     1 people found this helpful