Zoro's Avatar Community Representative

R6 Community Discusses: Bartlett University

This weeks discussion will focus on the map Bartlett University. This series has been added to the R6 forums to facilitate discussions among the community involving map tips and strategy that often get buried or lost in the abundance of others posts that flood the forums.

The goal of this series is to not only give new players a primer on a specific map, but also for mid-level or competitive players a chance to share the knowledge that they have accrued in their experiences and maybe let people know something that they did not know before.

Today's map is Bartlett University!

Link to R6 Mid-season Reinforcements Notes HERE
    Bartlett U Video Guide

Below are some discussion points we would like to see from community members that decide to respond. Feel free to discuss other information that may be helpful to the community about this map. Posts that do not contribute to the healthy discussion of this thread will be removed.

1) In your opinion, what is the best area of the map for defenders/attackers?
    2) Which Operators shine on this map? Which operators have you struggled with here?
    3) The camera placement, how well is the map covered by defender cameras?
    4) Objective placements, which is your favorite location? Least favorite?
    5) Which game modes do you prefer on this map?
    6) Spawn locations. yay or nay on the current locations?
    7) Has this map made you play the game differently?
    8) Map layout, what do you think of the design of this map?
    9) What is something that a new player should know when playing this map?
    10) What is your overall opinion of this map? Where would you rank it among the other maps in the game?

Link to last week's discussion on Tachanka: http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php...usses-Tachanka

Thanks for the responses @Insevin!

What would you say holds Bartlett U back the most as a PvP map?

My personal favorite room to attack and dfend is the stairwell area on Secure Area. It provides a nice change of having to Defend/Attack on multiple elevations in order to succeed.

2) Which Operators shine on this map? Which operators have you struggled with here?

I have been having a tremendous amount of success with Kapkan on this map, but that may be due to people being unfamiliar with the layout. The best Attacker here is Fuze IMOjust because there are SO many places he can use his traps.

Castle however has some big issues on this map due to some of the defense points having more entry points than he can secure. Which means you have to take a wild guess on which way they are gonna come from and just hope you are correct.

Camera placement is spot on in my opinion. No complaints from me there.

As I said I love the stairwell. Not a fan of the Model room (I forget its actual name) its SO wide open and there are like 7 different ways in. Its easy to get overrun and rushed.

I prefer Secure the Area but that is also my favorite mod in general.

As of right now very much Yay. The courtyard especially is a great spawn point as there are almost no ways to get spawn killed or harassed from that spot. A safe spawn is a good spawn.

Its combination of long hallways, tight corners and big rooms puts me on edge, but in a good way. It provides a remarkable amount of versatility to both Defenders and Attackers due to the geometry of the rooms. The big rooms can be hard to sweep safely for an Attacker, but at the same time if a Defender gets caught out of position the Attacker doesn't have to worry about the Defender getting away as the Defender has to cover a decent bit of ground before getting to safety. On other maps its fairly easy to get away if you get caught in a bad spot.

I love the how open the level is. It feels huge without actually BEING huge. As of right now its my second favorite map behind Kafe Dostoyevsky

That you need to be hugging a wall at all times. The open rooms can be deadly if you get caught in the middle and the long hallways can be equally as bad if you get caught.

10) What is your overall opinion of this map? Where would you rank it among the other maps in the game?

I like it alot. Its easily the best DLC map that has been released along with Skyscraper. As I said its my second favorite map overall and Skyscraper is my 3rd favorite. You guys are killing it with these last two maps.
     1 people found this helpful

Biggest problem I have are the two south festival spawns being death traps as defenders can literally trap the attackers in their spawn if they use the classroom or other round office windows and shoot across the festival. Honestly surprised how little this is being abused but I'm sure it'll ramp up over time.
    Past that compliant, from my experience on the map so far, defenders consistently lose the classroom and lounge objectives, while adept defending teams can consistently win the library and model room objectives. Also, interestingly, attackers evidently not needing as much of thermite or hibana to capture objectives due to the many entry points into the objective rooms.
    Fuze seems do to better on this map than any other.

Second floor is definitely the best area for defenders.
    Attackers must enter through 2nd floor no matter where the objectives are. Attackers are too easily flanked if entered from 1st floor.

Any 3 speed ops, great map to flank around for cav and jagger.
    Ash and capitao are great choices as always. Attackers must move in coordinately and swiftly as map is too big.

Nothing particular.

I recommend only 1 objective location on 2nd floor, other locations must be on 1st floor or a mix of 1st & 2nd floor for bomb.

Does not matter.

nay, spawn kills from everywhere. There are too many windows to cover.

Yes. Attackers must cover a wide range of angle when entering and approaching objectives.

The map is badly designed for PVP.
    1. Map is way too big
    2. Very boring color and layout (Just a bunch of square class rooms)
    3. Need more furniture and objects.
    4. Heavily 1 sided map for defenders. Attackers can rarely win a round.

Do not spend you time wandering outside. The earliest you can enter the building the better.

I would rate it one of the worst maps in R6.
    The worst maps in R6 right now is: House, Fevela, Bartlett University.

Problem of this map: NOT Balanced at all. This is a defending-favored map. Attackers have a very hard time to approach the objectives

danh.'s Avatar Banned
    My 2 cents (xbox player)

Defenders: definitely classroom/upper library just for the fact that there is no entrance from bellow. Attackers have to pretty much rappel to get in or enter from the other side (Trophy Room, Top Hatch, Piano Room).
    Attackers: Kitchen/Piano Room pretty much both bombsites at ground floor level.
    The problem with this map in my opinion is there are alot of windows and only very few are accessible. There are very few entrance points for the attackers.
    Skylight, Lobby can be easily secured by the defenders. Top Hatch can be secured with a c4 and Pulse. It is very hard for the attackers to find a solit entrance point.
    There needs to be atleast 1 more balcony entrance on the festival side either into classroom or upper library. Somewhere near that area is what I would suggest.

There could be a 3rd camera outside between festival and courtyard. I would suggest moving the current cam infront of kitchen window into the corner and put a 3rd cam outside as said earlier.

I think Pulse is a huge gamechanger in this map for defenders and for attackers I'd say definitely Hibana.

Bomb & Defuse (I generally prefer Bomb & Defuse)

No idea how to answer that. I am declined to say yes I think all of them are great, none is exposed to spawn killing to much, except Main Gate.
    Main Gate is a bit too open for spawn peeks.
    Other than that you can climb on top of the Festival Tents except for the big one right at the Festival Spawn (haven't found a way to get on that one yet)

In a way yes. But I wouldn't say that's positive and has alot to do with the things I said at point 1)

I like it just for the fact that there are alot of far angles. I don't know why consoles players got a problem with far angles, I love them tbh. I like Clubhouse for the same reason.

If you get peeked from top windows (classroom, upper library for example) get on top of the tents to get an elevated position on the spawn peekers.

I like it alot just because of the far angles you can take. Map has good potential but needs to have more access points for attackers.

Thanks for the responses guys!

Glad to hear the map is a favorite for some! We appreciate all this feedback.

Originally Posted by Ubi-Zoro Go to original post
    This weeks discussion will focus on the map Bartlett University. This series has been added to the R6 forums to facilitate discussions among the community involving map tips and strategy that often get buried or lost in the abundance of others posts that flood the forums.

The goal of this series is to not only give new players a primer on a specific map, but also for mid-level or competitive players a chance to share the knowledge that they have accrued in their experiences and maybe let people know something that they did not know before.

Today's map is Bartlett University!

Link to R6 Mid-season Reinforcements Notes HERE
    Bartlett U Video Guide

Below are some discussion points we would like to see from community members that decide to respond. Feel free to discuss other information that may be helpful to the community about this map. Posts that do not contribute to the healthy discussion of this thread will be removed.

Link to last week's discussion on Tachanka: http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php...usses-Tachanka
    1. Best area for attackers: 2nd-1st floor right side of the map from the front door. Best area for defenders: Left side 1-2nd floor including the center area
    2. Operators that have claymores at least. IQ seems to do well for me in this map I don't know why. Hibana is the one that I have been struggling with a little bit because of the corridors and narrow places. Twitch seems a good choice in this map for my style. I think it all depends on where you enter if you are attacking in order to make the operators work. For defense, I am thinking this is a defender map, all defenders seem to do well here..
    3. I would say there are little camera placements and they are not that ideal either, especially the one in the main hall where the fire place is. But hey... if there are no good cameras, then I just adapt to it.
    4. Favourite would be the hall on the left from the front door. Fair place, lots of room to attack and lots of space for defenders to defend. Least favourite: Kitchen. Too dark and sometimes too harrd for attackers to see the defenders. But advantage to defenders...
    5. Anything but secure area.
    6. Courtyard is my favourite spawn, avoids spawnkilling and peekers but the other spawns are just bad... Especially the one at the right side of the map from the front door.
    7. Nope. But it highly depends on what operator I am using. If I am using Hibana I will most likely enter the university from the furthest part of it. Like if it's in trophy room, I will most likely enter from the left side and make my way through. For defense, neither. Still using the roaming and sometimes stealth roaming.
    8. I would say 7/10 as my lowest score everytime. Lack of windows on the left side and right side of the map especially the back even though there is a skylight and a hatch on the roof. What is even worse are the narrow corridors.
    9. Do not go inside the university alone unless you know the map and you have claymores to protect from roamers. Always do the spawnkill counter "ADS, prone, scan the whole area"
    10. This is one of the most boring and worst maps in the game along with Hereford base and House. No variations, just a university with long corridors, narrow areas, lots of corridors that lead to close quarter encounter rooms, lack of windows for attackers, dangerous spawns. This map is easy for defenders if you are good in roaming. I, for instance, got a lot of 4'S with Frost by killing attackers from behind, just waiting for the correct moment to attack attackers, and you got them. If the attackers don't have claymores they can be in huge trouble. I remember my claymores killing lots of roamers in this map, more than any other map which surprised me and I continued to take them regardless if I need breach charges because it's too risky to stay by windows too long. For attackers, I suggest going inside as a whole rather than staying outside, unless at the roof because it's quite difficult to attack on your own and do not stay by the windows too long. For defenders, if you know how to roam properly, this is one map where you can cause problems for attackers especially if you are good in stealth roaming: using silenced weapons and timing your attack towards the attackers perfectly. It's on my list of maps that I do not want to play along with House and Hereford Base mainly because it lacks variation and everytime I play it just gets me bored after 2 rounds or maybe non at all.

WBBCoop's Avatar Senior Member
    I'm not sure how much I'll be able to contribute considering I haven't played it very much, or explored it in custom matches. This map, along with Red Crow, are the only ones I have intentionally not exploited in custom games. By exploited I mean grabbing Sledge and destroying as much as I can and angle all the cams..repeatedly. But I'll do my best..

As far as the best locations to defend or attack..I have no clue yet. So far I'm digging the mid stair biohaz location and overall game mode. Being able to secure the top floor while taking pot shots and Montagne below is always a good time. I prefer biohaz in general over the others because..well..I don't really know were the hell their coming from, you can use any operator (Fuse) and biohaz is quick. I could easily change my mind though..we shall see.

Being as it is so large, I would tend to think Glaz and his new upgrade would come in handy as well as Sledges ability to open side rooms for drones. Speaking of..Twitch has come in handy dandy a few times. But honestly, the approaches or defenses you could use opens up the entire roster. Obviously acogs are a plus on the attacking team and drone play is extremely helpful as well..especially when everything has been blown up.

The tense feeling of a new map is always the greatest time and personally I love the more open maps, so Bartlett is right up my alley. I find myself slowing down when it pops up, not only because I don't really know the layout yet, but there are so many places around each objective that you can hide/find traps. Be it Frosties, Kaps or killholes..the lighting is perfect in some areas. I also find myself using my backup drone on this bad boy due to this more than other map.

Thus far there hasn't been a significant number of spawn killing so I'm gonna give the green light on spawn locations.

All and all I'm feeling really good about Bartlet. I think it could promote the type of teamwork that is associated with the game. I don't currently have a 5 man crew, but I'll bet it would be fun.

NATural22cHANce's Avatar Senior Member
    1. Defending anywhere on 2nd floor seems to be the easiest. Attacking is pretty hard on this map IMO, but I can normally at least get in the building on the north side and go from there.

2. Roamers in general on Def., and Kapkan and Frost are doing well, which is probably just because people are unfamiliar with the map. Twitch does well at least for me here. As far as who struggles, I would say Mute, Thermite, Thatcher, and Hibana. Jamming and breaching are unnecessary.

3. It's Ok. The cam in the skylight room could probably be moved to a higher traffic area but that's about it.

4. I like the Secure Area location that has 1st and 2nd floor access just for how unique it is. I'm not a huge fan of Kitchen. It's too dark and doesn't have a lot of options for attackers to enter the room.

5. Can't say. Only played Hostage one time, rest has been S.A.

6. I think they're balanced. North spawn is a lot safer but has less options to enter the building, while the other 2 have some risk of window peeking but allow for faster entry.

7. It has made me worry a lot less about breaching as an attacker and more about droning and room clearing. As a defender I focus on roaming and the occasional window peek a lot more than I normally would.

8. I like it. It has a lot of hatches for flanks but overall a lot less destructability than most maps. 3 sets of stairs is good as well, as it's hard for either team to cover all 3. Also the larger, more open rooms are a nice change of pace.

9. Bring claymores as an attacker and get inside the building AWAY from the obj. Sweep and clear. As a defender watch out for those claymores and try to "pinch" the attackers. Flanking by yourself can be tricky as most players are very aware of how much it happens here.

10. It's above average but not my favorite. To be fair I haven't played it much. 7 of 10.