Warfutt's Avatar Junior Member
    Originally Posted by Wyked_Beth Go to original post
    I have followed every suggestion to a T in regards to getting the ps4 camera to work. I find that it works so much better with certain songs than it does with others. The camera will detect me for the first few moves and then it's as if I disappear and all I see is a blank box with an X inside. I don't know if my camera is faulty, but this is incredibly frustrating for me.
    That sounds like it's more of a hardware error, did you buy your camera new or used??
    And also your room must have something to do with it. Most of the time I've been approached by other users who have this kind of issue, it's because of conditions of their house. If you could describe (or post a photo) of your room at every possible aspect, I'd be glad to help.

Wow, Warfutt, you were hitting amazing scores on my screen on the WDF tonight. Did you do that with the PS4 camera? Because if so, it would be encouraging and may help motivate me knowing that it's possible.

I've split my time between the PS4 camera and Xbox Kinect so far with JD 2019. I have much, much more experience with Xbox. My personal best scores are better on most of the extremes using PS4, which is encouraging and surprising. For most of the 52 dances, the difference between my PS4 and Xbox scores is a few hundred points or less, and it's almost a coin toss as to which platform will be better for me. However, I have more 13's with Xbox. The main problem is that there are a couple of dances where I consistently do 1000 points better with Xbox. In fact, both dances came up on my first classic tournament with PS4 (a nice welcome!); I could have done 2000 points better (39 instead of nearly 37 thousand), simply by switching platforms.

I feel like I'm much more consistent with Xbox. I almost never take an X (and when there is a rare stubborn move, I can always find the cause and correct it; not necessarily to perfect, but it's usually pretty reasonable to avoid X's), and almost never miss the gold moves (once I examine the move closely enough and figure out what I'm missing). My scores are pretty consistent with Xbox, too, unless I forget a dance or pull an uh-oh.

With the PS4 camera, I feel like on any dance at any time on any move, there is a chance that I could suddenly take an X, no matter how well I've done the dance in the past. There are a couple of so-called "easy" dances that are giving me trouble with the PS4 camera, giving me X's consistently (even though I hit perfects on the same moves on Xbox and perfects/supers on the same moves on Switch). Fortunately, I hit perfects on some moves on the PS4 that are causing me trouble on Xbox and Switch (but in the case of Xbox, my troublesome moves are often Good, not X's).

I've learned a lot about dancing to the PS4 camera in the past six months. There is one part of the body that seems to matter much more for Kinect than PS4, but another part of the body that seems to matter much more to PS4 than Kinect. (Not going to say which.) There are a few types of motion that the PS4 seems more sensitive too, and similarly with Kinect. I'm guessing that Kinect can detect certain things better than PS4, and that this is the reason for the difference in how the dances seem to be scored (I guess it's a fair compensation, in principle, though in practice Xbox seems so much easier to get to work well). I suppose there may also be the experience factor. Although I have a lot of experience with Kinect, I don't have much experience with PS4, and hopefully I will improve in time. It's not easy to switch between platforms (at least not for me).

The PS4 camera can be frustrating at times. When I miss a move, it's easy to want to blame the camera. But there are some moves that I used to miss, which I now hit perfects on, where I realized the PS4 camera was able to detect what seemed like a subtle detail, and I just hadn't realized that the technology was that good. But is that the reason I'm still missing certain moves, or does that camera have some limitations? If you were dancing with the PS4 camera tonight, I suppose that answers my question. I've come to trust Kinect so that when it gives me an OK or good, I "know" I messed up. I hope to reach that level of confidence with the PS4.

What bothers me most is that there are a few Gold Moves giving me trouble with the PS4 camera. I thought I had worked some of these out, but tonight it seemed like if I had ever missed a Gold Move in the past, I was destined to miss it tonight (and for whatever reason, those dances seemed to be coming to me on the WDF like a magnet). The WDF likes to feed me my troublesome dances, even on the Xbox, and I know it's good for me in the long run, though it can seem a little frustrating at times. But it's the challenge that makes Just Dance so compelling. And dancing is fun. A tough time with dance scores is way better than a good day at work.

With Kinect, when I'm struggling with the same move consistently, it usually turns out to be a mistake in technique more than timing. I wonder if that will also be true with the PS4 camera. Thanks again for your post. Every time I see it, your post gives me renewed hope. Happy dancing!

Originally Posted by greekphysics Go to original post
    Wow, Warfutt, you were hitting amazing scores on my screen on the WDF tonight. Did you do that with the PS4 camera? Because if so, it would be encouraging and may help motivate me knowing that it's possible.

I've split my time between the PS4 camera and Xbox Kinect so far with JD 2019. I have much, much more experience with Xbox. My personal best scores are better on most of the extremes using PS4, which is encouraging and surprising. For most of the 52 dances, the difference between my PS4 and Xbox scores is a few hundred points or less, and it's almost a coin toss as to which platform will be better for me. However, I have more 13's with Xbox. The main problem is that there are a couple of dances where I consistently do 1000 points better with Xbox. In fact, both dances came up on my first classic tournament with PS4 (a nice welcome!); I could have done 2000 points better (39 instead of nearly 37 thousand), simply by switching platforms.

I feel like I'm much more consistent with Xbox. I almost never take an X (and when there is a rare stubborn move, I can always find the cause and correct it; not necessarily to perfect, but it's usually pretty reasonable to avoid X's), and almost never miss the gold moves (once I examine the move closely enough and figure out what I'm missing). My scores are pretty consistent with Xbox, too, unless I forget a dance or pull an uh-oh.

With the PS4 camera, I feel like on any dance at any time on any move, there is a chance that I could suddenly take an X, no matter how well I've done the dance in the past. There are a couple of so-called "easy" dances that are giving me trouble with the PS4 camera, giving me X's consistently (even though I hit perfects on the same moves on Xbox and perfects/supers on the same moves on Switch). Fortunately, I hit perfects on some moves on the PS4 that are causing me trouble on Xbox and Switch (but in the case of Xbox, my troublesome moves are often Good, not X's).

I've learned a lot about dancing to the PS4 camera in the past six months. There is one part of the body that seems to matter much more for Kinect than PS4, but another part of the body that seems to matter much more to PS4 than Kinect. (Not going to say which.) There are a few types of motion that the PS4 seems more sensitive too, and similarly with Kinect. I'm guessing that Kinect can detect certain things better than PS4, and that this is the reason for the difference in how the dances seem to be scored (I guess it's a fair compensation, in principle, though in practice Xbox seems so much easier to get to work well). I suppose there may also be the experience factor. Although I have a lot of experience with Kinect, I don't have much experience with PS4, and hopefully I will improve in time. It's not easy to switch between platforms (at least not for me).

The PS4 camera can be frustrating at times. When I miss a move, it's easy to want to blame the camera. But there are some moves that I used to miss, which I now hit perfects on, where I realized the PS4 camera was able to detect what seemed like a subtle detail, and I just hadn't realized that the technology was that good. But is that the reason I'm still missing certain moves, or does that camera have some limitations? If you were dancing with the PS4 camera tonight, I suppose that answers my question. I've come to trust Kinect so that when it gives me an OK or good, I "know" I messed up. I hope to reach that level of confidence with the PS4.

What bothers me most is that there are a few Gold Moves giving me trouble with the PS4 camera. I thought I had worked some of these out, but tonight it seemed like if I had ever missed a Gold Move in the past, I was destined to miss it tonight (and for whatever reason, those dances seemed to be coming to me on the WDF like a magnet). The WDF likes to feed me my troublesome dances, even on the Xbox, and I know it's good for me in the long run, though it can seem a little frustrating at times. But it's the challenge that makes Just Dance so compelling. And dancing is fun. A tough time with dance scores is way better than a good day at work.

With Kinect, when I'm struggling with the same move consistently, it usually turns out to be a mistake in technique more than timing. I wonder if that will also be true with the PS4 camera. Thanks again for your post. Every time I see it, your post gives me renewed hope. Happy dancing!
    Heh, sorry for the long time but I saw your post since that night, I remember it well, but sorry, half my scores were Camera and Move. You see, I'm mastering the Move controller first and I'll save the Camera for later.
    Of course being consistent with Xbox is easier due to its better detection, the randomness factor of the PS Cam is the frustrating part of it, don't worry. But true, experience with one can give you just a bit of experience for the other, they have some similarities but they will never be close to working the same.

Detail (move/timing) or limitation, it really depends on the song but it's hard to tell. It may never work the same one thing for another song from what I've seen in my experience.
    Good luck with these frustrations! hahaha.

Is the new camera better than the old one?

Is the new camera better than the old one?I'm thinking about buying a new camera.

Originally Posted by guest-rSDjqcJS Go to original post
    Is the new camera better than the old one?I'm thinking about buying a new camera.
    NO, They're the same.
    I haven't found any official sources confirming or saying otherwise but I've always heard there were no technical changes apart from the visual design since 2017.

According to this article, the specifications of both the old version and the new version are the same.

I visited this Reddit thread discussing personal comparisons about both, some say the old one is better but also others say that the new camera works better for others, in the end the only differences are contrast, color and detection, but they're not big changes.
    As I've seen in my personal experience, all cameras work slightly different depending on the setup, room and probably just super small differences because of the usage or age of the tech parts, I guess haha

I bought the old one because I found it cheaper than the new one.