As I understand it, when you leave your base, you will automatically get underway to your assigned patrol zone, have no control of your u-boat and cannot enter the bridge while going to your zone unless you have a random encounter with a unit(s). Are you allowed to have control of your u-boat when you reach your patrol zone? I hope that they do away with those silly and unrealistic primary tonnage objectives for the missions. We shouldn't be made to play a mission over again just because we didn't "sink 10,000 tons of enemy shipping". Play the same mission, with random elements or not, because we sunk 9,000 tons instead of 10,000 tons? It's silly. Let us progress in the campaign even if we arrive back at base with no sinkings but alive and safe. If the AI is up to snuff, then just surviving an attack and getting back to base will be accomplishment enough to continue. Tonnage requirements should be secondary and apply to promotions, medals, etc., which is why we all play, and historically accurate. If Silent Hunter 3 is being billed as a "simulation", then let's "simulate" how an actual war patrol would be conducted.

-Thunderhorse28-

As I understand it, when you leave your base, you will automatically get underway to your assigned patrol zone, have no control of your u-boat and cannot enter the bridge while going to your zone unless you have a random encounter with a unit(s). Are you allowed to have control of your u-boat when you reach your patrol zone? I hope that they do away with those silly and unrealistic primary tonnage objectives for the missions. We shouldn't be made to play a mission over again just because we didn't "sink 10,000 tons of enemy shipping". Play the same mission, with random elements or not, because we sunk 9,000 tons instead of 10,000 tons? It's silly. Let us progress in the campaign even if we arrive back at base with no sinkings but alive and safe. If the AI is up to snuff, then just surviving an attack and getting back to base will be accomplishment enough to continue. Tonnage requirements should be secondary and apply to promotions, medals, etc., which is why we all play, and historically accurate. If Silent Hunter 3 is being billed as a "simulation", then let's "simulate" how an actual war patrol would be conducted.

-Thunderhorse28-

Parsec's Avatar Junior Member
    good posting!!!

I agree completely. Failure happens in war.

Suppose I'm in a Type II in 1939, and I fire off all 5 torpedoes - two of them miss, and the other three are all duds. (Realistic torpedoes selected.) I'm out of torpedoes, and can only return to base. Now as a U-boat commander, it's not my fault the torpedoes are unreliable - why should I be punished for it by having to replay the same mission again just because I didn't sink anything?

Even if I'm sunk, I should be either killed, captured or rescued by friendly craft (if near enough to home) and return to duty. But the latter case, the date should still advance, and I should be allowed to play the next mission.

In the game I'd rather get a reprimand than be forced to replay the mission. If I get too many reprimands I can be relieved of command, career over. That's fine.

But I should only have to replay the mission if I quit without saving or start a new career.

You three have already said it well enough, so there's nothing I can add but my agreement. I will say this though-the other thing I loved about AOD and SHI that got left out of SHII was the ability to start the new career later in the war, instead of always at the beginning. In the earlier two sims I started several careers at the beginning and ran them side-by-side. If one captain died or retired, I would start a new one to take his place. That's also part of a dynamic campaign.

Taxes are never levied for the benefit of the taxed.

in sh1 i would always start careers 6 months apart. and then play 5 patrols with each career. i liked to watch my list of commanders and their medals grow.

and I named them all after Dallas Cowboys.

in sh1 there was never enough time between missions. you usually left port a week or so after you arrived.

i never played aod, but someone said sometimes its 6 months between missions.

Patrols in AOD weren't six months apart, more over like 3-4 weeks maximum. But you are right about SH1 the patrols were a bit close together.

Very good posts and I just can say I fully support it. I dont want to play another "Simulation" where I can progress in the CG only if I fullfill some set requirements other than returning alive, thats utterly stupid. Regardless of the Graphics, I will stand aways from such a game.
    Not to be able to jump onto the bridge anytime is also very annoying, for me at last. I red in offical statement, "the player would nothing see than open sea anyway", well for me that would be enough. If I have other things to do I love to watch this useless shiping through open seas...
    The graphics of this game are always put on the front (and rightfully so cause they are really exceptionally) and the emphasis a lot the realistic weather, even in the FAQ it says "expect to meet Icebergs" - what good are these effects for if I cant watch them? Or does that mean i will engage a convoy bypassing an Iceberg? I hope not.

I sincerly hope the rethink somethings I would love to add this game to those I own.

Cheers all
    Blood_Claw

[This message was edited by Blood_Claw on Fri May 14 2004 at 04:45 AM.]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I will say this though-the other thing I loved about AOD and SHI that got left out of SHII was the ability to start the new career later in the war, instead of always at the beginning. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Steve,
    It's actually very easy in SH2 with Fletcher's mode.
    Just use Ctrl-Alt-~ if you want skip a mission and start campaign sometime in the middle of the war.
    Should you want specifics, meet you on Subsim.com, mate.

Bruno Lotse
    U45

Sorry,
    double post