handheld brando's Avatar Senior Member

Hall of Heroes Advanced mechanics: The Warden

Hello and welcome to the first installment of the Hall of Heroes Advanced Mechanics series where I will be taking you through some of the advanced mechanics that I know and have learned throughout all of the playtests and some of the things the developers have taught me both from the alphas and from my visit to Montreal.

Today we will be focusing on the Warden and what the Warden can do for Advanced players who wish to learn a bit more about their favorite hero and who seek to become the absolute best with said hero.

Before that for some of you who don't know who I am.

I am HandheldBrando the current Admin for the Hall of Heroes Discord and also one of your moderators for the For Honor Subreddit. I am also an Ubisoft Star player for 2016 and was chosen to attend E3 with Ubisoft to meet the developers, test their new games, give my feedback directly and to share my experience with For Honor and my other fellow Star Players. I am also one of your community ambassadors and was invited to Montreal to share your concerns directly with the developers in their home office. I learned a lot that day and as soon as I am able I will share everything that I am capable of sharing with everyone in the community. To show my experience I have been apart of every Alpha test available to the public (and some that weren't) and most of what I have learned I have learned through the developers and through practice through the several weeks of testing I have been apart of.

For those of you who are just coming to the forums and the subreddit I highly recommend reading our other guides which can be found in the links below and I highly recommend starting with the Warden since this guide will be pertaining to his advanced mechanics.

Guide to the Warden

Guide to Feints

Guide to the Kensei

Guide to the Orochi

Guide to the Raider

Also check out our buddies over at the FHL with their berserker guide

Here is a another community guide by the community member MercuryX2 based on the Conqueror

The Warden

The Warden is your average all-around good hero. Wardens are good at everything but master of none. They wield some of the most devastating and easy to use combos in the game but trade that for inflexibility with those combos. This guide will assume you have read our Hall of Heroes Warden guide which is linked above so I will skip the simple stuff and go right into the advanced mechanics.

Pandaego special (AKA Shoulder Charge Combo)

Most people by now know about the Wardens shoulder charge but for those of you who don't let's take a look at it so I can explain what makes this part advanced. I have also slowed the GIF down intentionally for clarity.

So for the people who are unaware of the Warden's Shoulder charge combo it consists of the Warden's special ability "the Shoulder Charge" which then leads into a double side light attack (Which is done by pressing the light attack button a second time after the first light attack connects) and then following this up with another Shoulder Charge and then another double light attack. You do this repeatedly which is simple to do.

Now let's get to the advanced part.

A few weeks ago I asked people in the Hall of Heroes discord if they knew how to deal with the Shoulder charge combo and most people seemed to agree that you dodge to either side to counter it and to counter strike. They are not wrong; however, a good Warden player will punish you for this. Take a look at the gif above again and notice that WillaGuy (my favorite practice partner and one of the best defensive players I know) tries to dash to the side to avoid getting hit by the Shoulder Charge combo a third time but instead of getting away he instead gets caught in a guard break. This is what makes it advanced in that it in the spur of the moment you can force the opponent out of your shoulder charge combo and directly into a guard break to either repeat the combo or to finish the combo off with a side heavy.

To put into perspective how effective this combo is.

Of all the people who went to the UBI HQ in Montreal only 2 other people in that office besides myself were able to effectively deal with this combo and they were both developers and they were both some of the better players on the For Honor Development team. There was also some people who said it might even be considered slightly OP until I and another developer explained to them how to properly deal with it.

Here is another example of the Shoulder charge into Guard Break to counter a dash

Some of you are probably wondering why he doesn't simply counter guard break and the reason is that he can't. We tested this thoroughly and I also spoke to some of the Devs about it as well and see the thing about guard breaks is that you can't dash out of them. The only way to stop a guard break is to either light attack or to do a counter guard break in response. If you try and dash out of a guard break you will instead guarantee their guard break connects and is uncounterable.
    What I mean by that is when you dash to the side to escape a guard break you instead lock yourself in a dash animation and since you can take no other action during a dash, when their guard break hits you it means that there is effectively zero ways to counter it so you get caught in a guard break mid-dash and you can't stop it.

How do you counter this you ask?

Instead of dashing to the side you HAVE to dash backward. The good thing about the enemy dashing backward is that they have less opportunity to punish you for missing your shoulder charge or missing the guard break. If you know the enemy is going to dash backward then you can also charge the Wardens Shoulder Charge and when charged it not only gains the uninterruptible status but also flies farther and faster and also shoves the enemy farther away. This is perfect for when an enemy has their back near a wall or ledge and you want to shove them off or into a wall to end the fight or begin a new combo.

However, dashing backward does not always counter the Wardens Shoulder charge and if you are too close to the Warden or you dash too early the Warden can and will catch you with the end of the Shoulder Charge. Also, (thanks to Kahlus) for reminding me) classes such as the Kensei or Orochi or Berserker who can do a side dashing attack will be able to counter this if they do the side dashing attack when the Warden attempts to do a guard break.

The Feinting Game

The Feinting Game (or so I have dubbed it) is when a Warden does a top heavy and feints it to bait the opponent into responding to a parry. If the enemy does respond to and you can then catch out their heavy attack with a Crushing Counter which is one of the Wardens special and hardest hitting moves. When fighting a Warden the number 1 rule you must know is that if it can be helped then you should never EVER attack a Warden in the top stance. Crushing Counter does far too much damage to risk getting hit by it and this is where the Feinting game comes in.

It is a little hard to tell in this GIF (especially since WillaGuy and I know the Feinting game very well) but basically he throws out a top heavy and in response I throw a top heavy but he then feints his top heavy and so in response I feint mine but he didn't catch my feint quick enough and instead attempted to do the Wardens Crushing counter (done by pressing the light attack button in the top stance during a parry timing) and instead he gets caught in my Crushing Counter.

Mind you this is all split-second decision making so it's very hard to get that timing down properly because if you respond to early you get caught like WillaGuy did and if you respond too late you could wind up getting hit mid animation.

Let's take a look at how this can be used to combo into the Shoulder Charge combo

In this Gif I throw out a top heavy at the exact moment the enemy berserker launches his dashing heavy attack. I feint my Top heavy and catch the Berserker in the Crushing Counter and then combo that Crushing Counter into a Shoulder Charge combo for the kill. Crushing Counter is not only your hardest hitting move but also makes attacking a Warden in the top stance especially dangerous which is why you as a Warden player want to force the enemy to respond to you and bait them into that Crushing Counter.

Warden Top heavy explanation

Some of you are probably looking at that title and scratching your head.

"What do you mean? The Top heavy on the Warden is a Top heavy what's to explain?"

First off let me start with by saying that the some of you might have noticed that the Wardens Top heavy has inconsistent speed. I am here to tell you that you are not imagining this and the Warden's Top heavy does actually have 2 different versions with differing speeds.

So the recurring problem I had during most of the alphas was that I could never figure out why the Wardens top heavy was so inconsistent on a wall stun. Usually, most wall stuns allow almost all characters to land at least one single heavy attack for free. The Warden, however, always seemed to struggle with landing top heavy attacks after a wall stun whereas the Kensei was able to land a full unblockable attack which was both longer in animation and did more damage than the Wardens top heavy.

I turned to one of the Developers and asked them why I was struggling with it and he finally explained to me that the Warden has not 1 but 2 versions of the top-heavy attack.

Let's take a look at them now.

As you can tell from the GIF above I successfully throw the opponent into the wall and immediately initiate a top-heavy attack. However, the top-heavy attack fails to connect with the enemy and is instead blocked. For the longest time, this was an issue for me and I couldn't figure out why but once it was explained to me what was different I began to notice it as well.

Now lets take a look at the second version of the Top Heavy

Here you can see as before I successfully land a guard break and throw the enemy into the wall and initiate a top-heavy attack. However, this time the attack successfully goes through.

Some of you with discerning eyes might have noticed but for those of you who haven't noticed. The difference is in the stance I START IN. It doesn't matter that I landed the enemy into the wall and then initiated a top attack because in the first gif I initiated the top-heavy attack from the right stance and in the second gif I initiated the top heavy from the top stance. This was utterly game changing for me as I had no idea what I was doing wrong and upon discovery and being told what the difference was everything changed. I still made mistakes during combat where I was initiating a top heavy from a side stance and not landing them but now I wasn't frustrated about it and understood that I was making a mistake.

The trick is that there is less animation time between the top-heavy from a top stance and a top heavy from a side stance. Regardless, the top heavy is in my opinion too risky to use when the opponent is not wall stunned because it's so long, but from a wall stun, as long as you are already in the top stance, you should be easily able to land a top heavy otherwise you are better off doing a side heavy attack instead.

A good rule of thumb for those who want to take their Warden skills to a higher tier is to remember to attack an opponent who is in a wall stun on the same side that their stance is in. This will not only make sure the attack lands but also minimize the chance that the opponent has the possibility to retaliate in case you throw it out too late on accident.

Now that we have an even deeper understanding of the Warden, it is time to sharpen your blades and steel yourselves for battle warriors, for soon we will find ourselves on the field once again.

Thank you very much for reading our guide. For more guides and info on upcoming tests or changes then please feel free to check out the Hall of Heroes Discord by clicking the logo below.

14 people found this helpful

Two different top heavy attacks...who knew.
     2 people found this helpful

Great guide. Thank you.
     1 people found this helpful

Dez_troi_aR's Avatar Senior Member
    Thank you for that post.

In these times of news drought, i appreciate these details a lot. (Though it's a little cruel that some people are already considering "advanced" tactics before i even laid hands on the game )

Thanks for the great guide. Best guide to me, because it contains so many information I didn't know about, like the two different top heavy attacks.

Originally Posted by Dez_troi_aR Go to original post
    Thank you for that post.

In these times of news drought, i appreciate these details a lot. (Though it's a little cruel that some people are already considering "advanced" tactics before i even laid hands on the game )
    What region are you in man?

MisterWillow's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by handheld brando Go to original post
    What region are you in man?
    pssssst... it says 'Germany' under his profile pic...

Somehow I feel the advanced tricks should remain obscured.

It kind of looks like he is playing with M+K?

Originally Posted by IntCel Go to original post
    Somehow I feel the advanced tricks should remain obscured.
    I didn't give all the advanced tricks as there is a few more that will take practice and I couldn't explain them well enough even if I tried.

As for your other post I was using the XBOX Elite controller.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... Last ►►