Enumerating downloadable content?

I guess I'm beating a long dead horse here, but this has always been my only major "gripe" with the game. I feel like I have to turn the game on and walk away for half an hour before I can even start playing. This is something that the biggest supporters of the game (the ones with the most DLC) have come to accept, but is it really "just the way it is?" Is there never going to be a way to improve on the current method or programming? That's pretty disheartening. It wouldn't even be so bad if you could play the on-disc songs or the DLC it manages to load in while you wait. You sometimes can, but the interface becomes slow, buggy and more prone to freezing. Plus the enumerating seems to take even longer, so I've learned to just leave it alone and let it do its thing.

I'm assuming it's checking to verify that the content is indeed owned and licensed to the account you're using, but I don't get why the loading time is so monumental compared to games where you maybe have up to 50 GB worth of DLC and patches (like a typical Bethesda game) that is ready to use instantly upon booting the game. It is like defragmenting a PC, scanning for viruses or malware.. like doing a byte by byte analysis. Then as you pile on more DLC and watch the loading times grow, it becomes almost as bad as queueing and downloading every individual file all over again. I just don't understand why a simple verification protocol doesn't suffice?

Has anyone figured out a way to speed things up a little? I've tried clearing cache or re-installing files but there doesn't seem to be much relief.
     3 people found this helpful

rcole_sooner's Avatar Moderator
    What platform?

Does this belong in support?

I don't have this problem on my PC.

toymachinesh's Avatar Senior Member
    Did you have any improvements regarding enumeration with the Remastered Upgrade?

Gold_Jim's Avatar Senior Member
    I'm on PS4, and it does seem to take a long time. What I also found is that there is still a glitch where I can be in one instrument (lead guitar) and songs exist, but I switch to rhythm and they are gone. Goi to bass, and they're back again. Another thing that's new since the release of Remastered is that I will have a song title available, click on it, and it disappears. The only fix is to restart the app and wait until the renumeration is complete before touching any controls.I meant to take a video of it and upload. Yes, I can repeat the trouble and I have rebuilt my database.

Madi-Lakk's Avatar Member
    I have all DLC for PS3/PS4 and Steam except for the old Holiday pack (!@#$). Steam takes about 30 seconds to enumerate, PS4 takes about a minute, PS3 is more on the order of 5-10 minutes and the game is so sluggish as to be completely unusable during that time except I can hear my bass and do warm-up exercises while I wait. Unfortunately for me, my PS3 is the only one connected to the TV and stereo in the dungeon with all my gear. It has gotten so bad since I've gone DLC-crazy that I never power it off anymore just to avoid the wait. But I still have to restart the game three or four times a week because it (gasp) crashes pretty regularly, usually right before or right after playing a song, and for new DLC on Tuesdays. The "enumerating downloadable content" message is easily my least favorite part of the game.

UPDATE: Double-checked my facts last night and I was wrong about how much time is spent enumerating DLC on PS4, which I haven't really used for RS since a couple of months before I finished filling out my DLC library on PSN. When I started it up last night, it took 8 minutes to enumerate, pretty much in line with what I observe on PS3.
     3 people found this helpful

rcole_sooner's Avatar Moderator
    I was wondering if the OP was on PS3, and if the enumeration had ever improved on that platform.

Sounds like the PS3 enumeration is still very slow.

TuftyMcTavish's Avatar Member
    This.

This is THE single most irritating feature about Rocksmith for me. This affects me on my Xbone. It was much, much faster on Xbox360 before I upgraded to Xbone. I've whined about this a lot. And I'm a generally positive type, I think/hope!, so forgive me this. I had a friend over to play multiplayer RS. We had a bit of time at the end of the evening but we waited some 30minutes "enumerating downloadable content" and it STILL had not loaded all my DLC.

The UI is practically unusable until it finishes because it's very unresponsive (lots of blank screens and waiting around for anything to happen). I had become so irritated at the wait that I tried one last attempt to get a song selected that we could play. That was when I noted that despite the wait it had loaded very little of my DLC. At this point we gave up and he left. I ranted on twitter after that because I was super annoyed.

This is NOT the first time this extended wait has happened. The week before the above a bassist friend of mine was over and it did the same thing when I tried to demo RS to him. It's very embarrassing when I have to cover the wait and apologise for the game. But I've learned over the years it's best just to leave it alone while it's enumerating. So it's a game that takes several minutes to start. I fire up RS, press a button to start the enumerating, ... and walk away. This strikes me as a very poor experience, especially for newbies to see.

Back in the early days of Xbone RS2014 it was taking many minutes to enumerate, just like it is today. I had much less DLC back then too. After an Xbone dashboard update it went down to a wait of 1.5minutes each time I start RS, and I was most pleased. Now, I can't be sure when it got slow again, but we're nowadays back up to 6minutes on a good day. I imagine there are folks with a lot longer loading times.

Can we please do something about this? I get told, "doesn't happen to me on Steam" and I have no response other than, "well it sucks on Xbone." I'm far too invested on Xbox - to the tune of hundreds of UKP - to change over.
     2 people found this helpful

Originally Posted by rcole_sooner Go to original post
    What platform?

Does this belong in support?

I don't have this problem on my PC.
    This is on Xbox One, sorry. I also had the same issue on my 360 before making the switch when the Xbox One version first became available. I haven't noticed an improvement with the Remastered update, although the navigation is much nicer and I'm saving time not having to manually level things up now. I even bought a digital copy (no more pesky disc switching!) but it's very much the same.

I contemplated if I should post this in support, but really, it's not a "bug" by definition. I recall Dan once saying it was "the nature of the beast" basically, and that the more DLC you own, the slower your waiting time is going to be. But I'm not entirely sure what it's even doing during this time or why it warrants taking such a long time for so many people across virtually all platforms.

I'm guessing those with a faster Internet connection may suffer less. Currently I'm using a wired ethernet connection but my speeds are just average, like 25 mb/s.

Femacejo's Avatar Member
    I have both the Xbox 360 and XBone, and both have the enhanced version.

I get the same enumeration message but it is only there bout about 5 minutes then it goes away. Maybe it take 8 minutes on the 360. And this is consistently.

For the record, as per my stats, I own 581 songs. (Wow, I cant believe I've spent over $1,500 in DLCs .... in my opinion, money well spent!).

I think I own around 700 songs or something. When the One version first came out, I was having Enumerating take 15-30 minutes, if I tried to do anything with the game while I was waiting, you could pretty much double that.

It's gradually improved whether through Rocksmith updates or Xbox OS updates, but now it's down to around 5 minutes, which I can live with.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... Last ►►