What is the deal with dodge?

I see other people fidgeting my attacks, but whenever I duck left or right I'm still getting hit and I'm tired of it. What gives? Are you supposed to let go of lock-on when dodging or something?

Originally Posted by verifun Go to original post
    I see other people fidgeting my attacks, but whenever I duck left or right I'm still getting hit and I'm tired of it. What gives? Are you supposed to let go of lock-on when dodging or something?
    Most attacks have certain ability to track you, so dodging needs to be timed right to work, also dodge is different for each hero so you need to learn their timings as well. Just run a custom duel with you favorite hero and practice only dodging for awhile.

Part of it is just that you have to memorize which attacks are best to dodge and which are best to block/parry.

As the previous poster said, timing is key and some abilities track better than others.

The ones that track well are better off just being blocked or better yet parried.

Then once you figure out which ones are best dodged you can then figure out if it is better to dodge or dodge attack.

Before long you have a pile of free damage on your hands from free dodge attacks and parries followed up with GBs.

That's the basis of the defensive meta we find ourselves in.

Once you figure out all the right defensive options and convert them into retaliation damage you find that you really don't have to do a lot of offense.

I'm gonna add a little something : it is best to dodge in the direction of the attack. If it's well timed (like a parry), you will dodge through the attack just fine.

Dodging away from the attack (i.e. you have an incoming attack to the left and you dodge to the right) is more risky : some attacks have a very wide arc and are very long (Raider, LB, Shugoki), so there is a good chance (especially if you did it early) that the attack catches up to you even after your dodge is finished.

From my experience:

Top attacks seem to track about 90% of the time. Dodging to either side or back will most likely end with you getting hit.

Heavy side attacks are difficult to dodge, as you have to wait longer to dodge than you do for a light, if not it will track you. It is fun to watch a Hero attack then rotate 90+ degrees to hit you. Be careful with dodging heavies though if they feint and go light you will get hit, even if you dodge expecting the heavy the light will track.

Also remember that GB always tracks. Even if you dodge in response to the GB.

Originally Posted by verifun Go to original post
    Some attacks track you (for example the orochi overhead and side dash attack) and you cannot dodge them. I advise you to not dodge against Orochi and every hero with a side dash attack, since they sometimes track you. If you dodge towards the attack you are less likely to be hit than dodging away from the attack (there are ofcourse exeptions). You can go throught the Raider zone attack if you dodge towards it (atleast with PK you can). If you are playing against a high tier player, you shouldn't dodge a lot, since they can feint and parry you, only use it if you have few/no other choice(s). Also timing is really important and a Shugoki can charge his attack and it can really mess your timing up, so yet again look who you are fighting!

Thank you

Thanks for the tips: I don't know why I was thinking in this era a dodge wouldn't have something to do with timing. I guess I'll try some practice mode(yuk) and see what that timing is, but in the meantime just be glad you can't hear what I'm saying to the screen!

Some find it easier than others or have experience with similar games. I have played three versions of monster hunter, so dodging in the direction the attack is coming from at the last split second, pointing at an example above, is pretty much ingrained into me at this point which was why I started with the peacekeeper. But as was also said, in general you need to know the different characters and which attacks are best to dodge or do something else against.

DFQN1's Avatar Senior Member
    I dodge right before the parry timing. Works for me.

Also dodge towards side attacks not away from them. If they attack from your left you have to dodge to the left, if you dodge to the right it will track.
     1 people found this helpful