Firsty I must confess that I'm new on these forums so I don't know if there has already been conversation on this topic.

The thing is about the E3 demo video which I just saw. There the U-boat fires a single torpedo on King George V Battleship sinking it in less than two minutes. This doesn't give a good impression on SH3's realism.

King George V class had a displacement of 35 000 tonnes and a crew of 1500 men. To see it sunk so fast by a single torpedo feels as realistic as having Mickey Mouse as the Chief Engineer. So, was this sinking scene made just for the demo to look cool or will the game have battleships made out of plastic?

Firsty I must confess that I'm new on these forums so I don't know if there has already been conversation on this topic.

The thing is about the E3 demo video which I just saw. There the U-boat fires a single torpedo on King George V Battleship sinking it in less than two minutes. This doesn't give a good impression on SH3's realism.

King George V class had a displacement of 35 000 tonnes and a crew of 1500 men. To see it sunk so fast by a single torpedo feels as realistic as having Mickey Mouse as the Chief Engineer. So, was this sinking scene made just for the demo to look cool or will the game have battleships made out of plastic?

Taulusieni Hi good to see a new person in SHIII How you doing?

The Hood had a same fate when the Bismark hit the Hood's never fired magazines. Maybe it hit the ammo stores. Secondary explosions our dev team says is factored in the sim/game. They do mention ships will sink various ways. Some will sink fast and some slow.

Keep on Smiling'

RedTerex's Avatar Senior Member
    Hi Taulusieni, welcome to SH3 forums.

As far as we can deduce, the Battleship in the video sinking in miliseconds was 'staged' for the demo.

Initialy ships will sink faster or slower depending on where they are hit by the torpedo.

RedTerex

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>The Hood had a same fate when the Bismark hit the Hood's never fired magazines. Maybe it hit the ammo stores. Secondary explosions our dev team says is factored in the sim/game. They do mention ships will sink various ways. Some will sink fast and some slow.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Yes that's true, critical hits are always possible. But still a battleship simply can't sink that fast. I just hope that it was staged for the demo, as RedTerex said.

S` Guys... Welcome to the Good forums Taulusieni.

I'm certain I read that this fast sinking is apparently not staged in this case but that it is supposedly a reality setting within the game.
    So the ships (critical hits aside) will in fact take some time to sink. This would make sense too given the level of actual reality we keep seeing in every other aspect of this simulation.

This quick sink may either be a "critical hit" or more than likely just the simple non realistic setting for some fast action & eye candy in the demo m8.

Thats my understanding.

Cheers

WTE_Sikshoota
    Kapitan U-55

"Oberflache das Boot!"

RedTerex's Avatar Senior Member
    Also alongside different modelled areas for torpedo hits and the damaged sustained from hitting a ship in a certain area, this will aslo be true when the deck gun comes into action.

If a shell from your deck gun hits the bridge of a ship it will not be able to navigate. or a hit on the cargo will blow it up or a hit on the ships guns will knock them out.

Hence a lot of programming has actualy gone into 'hit areas' of ships. I know this because the devteam has actualy stated it.

If a ship is hit in its ammo magazine area it will blow the ship in half and sink in seconds.

we have a lot of excitement to look forward to.

RedTerex

In the E3 demo, they targetted the engine room of the King George ship, I suppose if you hit all that fuel, it's bound to explode. I always loved the abiliy to target subsystems in ST Bridge Commadner (forgive me, but I only just got SHII and its my 1st subsim) and if you destroyed certain parts of the ship, they would not be able to do certain things, eg disable impulse engines and it can't move and if you destroy the warp core, well thats it for the poor ship.

Torpedo incoming off the port bow!
    We want a demo!!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by U-551 Kapitan:
    In the E3 demo, they targetted the engine room of the King George ship, I suppose if you hit all that fuel, it's bound to explode.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Yes, true, but the waterline of Battleships should be pretty heavily armoured because of torpedoe threat. Also the fuel/ammo storages are often in separate, armoured compartements and this is why critical hits are most likely to occur when a large gunshell or an armor piercing bomb penetrate the outermost armor plates of the ship.

RedTerex: Yes, the simulation of hit areas is a good thing, I just hope they don't overdo it and forget that not every hit is a critical one :/

Gouldjg's Avatar Senior Member
    I think we all could do with this subject clarrifying once and for all.

Too many theories are starting to pop up.