1. #1

    Customisation in AC Empire

    Having participated in the For Honor Alpha,i fell in love with the deep and vast customisation available for both weapons and armor.Do you guys think it is possible to see a similar one in AC Empire?
    Share this post

  2. #2
    SixKeys's Avatar Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    11,777
    Armor/outfits: yes, though I'd argue AC already had an extremely robust customization system in Unity, which was sadly massively pared down for Syndicate. I would love for them to bring back Unity's depth. I don't see the point in weapon customization TBH.
    Share this post

  3. #3
    BananaBlighter's Avatar Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Banana Land
    Posts
    987
    Agree with SixKeys. I'd like something along the lines of Unity's customization, which is very similar to how For Honor did it except that there wasn't weapon customization, just weapon choice, which TBH I think I'd prefer.

    The only other difference is that in For Honor you could apply the cosmetic of one piece of gear onto another piece of gear of the same type, a mechanic which I would welcome, as many had issues with trying to find gear that both looked good and had decent stats in Unity.

    However it can look a bit silly if apply the cosmetic of a very thin garment onto gear which has very high defense stats, so maybe in this case it wouldn't be such a good idea. In AC there is more variance in playstyle (going from complete stealth to complete tank) and so the gear is more varied in both stats and hence appearance. Within each class in For Honor, the stats barely differ due to each hero having their own unique playstyle, and so gear style doesn't need to either.

    I was very sad that Syndicate got rid of Unity's customization. That and the coop.
    Share this post

  4. #4
    Fatal-Feit's Avatar Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    5,676
    Originally Posted by BananaBlighter Go to original post
    Agree with SixKeys. I'd like something along the lines of Unity's customization, which is very similar to how For Honor did it except that there wasn't weapon customization, just weapon choice, which TBH I think I'd prefer.
    I agree with you both; Unity's customization was already robust. For Honor's weapon customization doesn't need to exist since AC offers a variety of the same weapon. lol

    Something that I'd like to see is some kind of crafting and loot system be implemented somehow. I wouldn't mind a lack of equipment variety if the game was a bit like Diablo and made me want to grind certain missions or side quests for specific materials or gear to create the best set for myself, kind of like in FH.

    The only other difference is that in For Honor you could apply the cosmetic of one piece of gear onto another piece of gear of the same type, a mechanic which I would welcome, as many had issues with trying to find gear that both looked good and had decent stats in Unity.
    I think my craft/loot system would work well with this. You can essentially have the lowest tier-looking item have the best stat or something.

    However it can look a bit silly if apply the cosmetic of a very thin garment onto gear which has very high defense stats, so maybe in this case it wouldn't be such a good idea.
    I mean, it's a video game. You don't need that level of realism if it impacts gameplay in such a way.

    In AC there is more variance in playstyle (going from complete stealth to complete tank) and so the gear is more varied in both stats and hence appearance. Within each class in For Honor, the stats barely differ due to each hero having their own unique playstyle, and so gear style doesn't need to either.
    I've put about 100 hours into For Honor and I've seen a variety of sets, so I disagree with this. Each hero has their own unique playstyle and moveset, but there isn't only one way to play them. For example, you can have a Berserker that focuses more on throw distance since his deflect and throw is very good for ledges and walling. Or, you can have a Berserker that's made for tanking more damage to take advantage of the immunity of their risk/reward high stance heavy attacks. Both are very viable and different methods of playing them. Another example would be the Orochi. One player could focus solely on beefing their attack damage and become offensive, or they can focus on a build that fills their Revenge meter quicker and focus on being defensive and countering with Revenge mode instead. There are also the matter of feats that changes the way you play Dominion. My Warden has two different sets for feats. The first one is for solely handling zone B, where the armies are. My build is focused on reducing feat cooldown and I have feats that boost the minions attack and defense and gives me regeneration when killing enemy soldiers. Another build is for taking care of the other zones like an Assassin hero, which I equip myself with self healing, grenades, and such.

    I don't think it's lacking variance at all, it's just more detailed and intricate due to focusing solely on the combat system.
    Share this post

  5. #5
    LoyalACFan's Avatar Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    8,490
    Was going to post in here earlier but my "I" key wasn't working and it was too much of a hassle to deal with

    Now that I've dusted out my keyboard... For Honor also needs a deeper customization system to differentiate between players otherwise everyone ends up appearing the same and it gets confusing. AC doesn't have that problem so much so it's all just for aesthetics.
    Share this post

  6. #6
    Unity had a great variety of weapons but most of them felt useless after some playtime because of their bad stats.Personally i only bought and used like 20% of the available weapons because the other 80% either didnt look good to me or were not worth the extra money since their stats were barely good.I would prefer to have a few basic weapon types with upgradeable stats(by upgrading for example the material from an iron sword to a steel one)and more customisation options in colous,hilts and other cosmetics.
    Share this post

  7. #7
    m4r-k7's Avatar Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    2,357
    If Empire is a reboot type game and it takes influence from open world RPG's such as The Witcher etc, I would expect it to have Unity type customisation.

    For me personally, I don't mind as long as there is a good amount of outfits to choose from
    Share this post

  8. #8
    cawatrooper9's Avatar AC Forum Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    A Bathtub with Caterina Sforza
    Posts
    5,917
    Originally Posted by ladosefan Go to original post
    Unity had a great variety of weapons but most of them felt useless after some playtime because of their bad stats.Personally i only bought and used like 20% of the available weapons because the other 80% either didnt look good to me or were not worth the extra money since their stats were barely good.I would prefer to have a few basic weapon types with upgradeable stats(by upgrading for example the material from an iron sword to a steel one)and more customisation options in colous,hilts and other cosmetics.

    Yeah, Unity (and Syndicate) had the issue with weapons in that some were objectively better than the rest- and among the higher tier weapons, there was little variety.

    For instance, once you have enough money to buy a weapon that costs 25,000, there's no reason to ever purchase any other weapon that's cheaper. There is almost no advantage that they'd offer- even though weapons had some stat bars, weapons of a higher tier were typically just better across the board. Then, weapons on the same tier were practically identical, with cosmetic differences only.

    Gear had better customization, for sure.
    Share this post

  9. #9
    D.I.D.'s Avatar Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    3,170
    Originally Posted by ladosefan Go to original post
    Unity had a great variety of weapons but most of them felt useless after some playtime because of their bad stats.Personally i only bought and used like 20% of the available weapons because the other 80% either didnt look good to me or were not worth the extra money since their stats were barely good.I would prefer to have a few basic weapon types with upgradeable stats(by upgrading for example the material from an iron sword to a steel one)and more customisation options in colous,hilts and other cosmetics.
    Very hard to get a range of stats into AC weapons that you can actually feel. Combat is either a long slog or you're going through the enemy like a knife through butter. It's hard to feel the gradations in between.

    Gun games are easier because you get a straight mathematic response: first shot with the old gun might have taken off the enemy's helmet, then taken two shots to put the enemy down. Next gun takes just two headshots. Next, only one headshot. A later gun might kill with a single shot to any body location. AC's combat is about how long enemies take to kill, with a little extra variety about some weapons having unblockable attacks.
     2 people found this helpful
    Share this post

  10. #10
    m4r-k7's Avatar Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    2,357
    Originally Posted by cawatrooper9 Go to original post
    Yeah, Unity (and Syndicate) had the issue with weapons in that some were objectively better than the rest- and among the higher tier weapons, there was little variety.

    For instance, once you have enough money to buy a weapon that costs 25,000, there's no reason to ever purchase any other weapon that's cheaper. There is almost no advantage that they'd offer- even though weapons had some stat bars, weapons of a higher tier were typically just better across the board. Then, weapons on the same tier were practically identical, with cosmetic differences only.

    Gear had better customization, for sure.
    Yeah, the problem with buying good weapons is that it makes the game WAY too easy. I mean if we use Unity as a clear example, when you have the sword of eden (I think thats what its called) you can kill enemies in literally one or two hits, whereas when you start out with a normal weapon you actually have to use skill to defeat enemies. IMO, it should always be a challenge to kill enemies, even when you have a good weapon. Rather than weapons dealing more damage, they should only be better at defending and speed etc. Still to this day I think on the whole AC 1 has had the best combat system for this reason. I mean you do get better weapons that (granted) kill the basic enemies very easily, but the harder enemy types (especially the Templars) always take longer to kill whereas in AC 3 - Syndicate, the hardest enemies always have one (and easy) way to kill them. In AC 1 you had counter, dodge, defend, different striking patterns that did different things etc and it all made the combat much more believable.
    Share this post