1. #71
    Originally Posted by Chad_Muska Go to original post
    Wasn't that Staind - It's been awhile?!
    I stand corrected
     1 people found this helpful
    Share this post

  2. #72
    Originally Posted by DanAmrich Go to original post
    Well, see, that's the thing -- it's not a guessing thread. Guesses are never confirmed, per the mini-FAQ -- but suggested solutions where people show how they reached that conclusion are what actually gets a response. "What band am I thinking of" is a lousy experience, but "what do these clues mean" is a lot more fun -- and a lot more structured. And if you are tracking the clues and someone just tells you what they mean, that's less fun. Maybe that person was late to the thread because they had to work, or they had a screaming kid that morning, or they are in a different time zone. I want to include as many people as possible, not just the first four people who see the thread. Spoiler tags help accommodate that.

    I appreciate you tolerating the spoiler tags so that other people can have fun at their own pace.
    For your first point, you're replying to a post that is using"guesses" in the same context as you're using "suggested solutions ...that conclusion." Sure, it's not a guessing thread and pure guesses are annoying. But, that's a bit of a straw man argument when you look at the context you're replying to. They're calling the things behind spoiler tags guesses,which they essentially are regardless of thought involved.

    For your second point, you're operating in a vacuum. Your idea works great in theory. But, take a look through several threads and you'll see the practice doesn't apply as you describe. Pretty much the entire "suggested solution" is hidden behind the spoiler tag. In order to follow along at all, one must expose the entire post to see a part of it. Really,this is functionally no different than scrolling a web browser. In that end, you make it less for everyone (poster and late reader alike) by simply incorporating a scroll bar. That's been done. Any additional steps are over engineering something that has a simple solution.

    Does clicking ~30 extra posts prevent me from following along? No. But, neither would avoiding that. I typically fall into the category that reads the thread after work once the puzzle has been solved. I've been able to go at my own pace for a few years now with and without the tags.
     1 people found this helpful
    Share this post

  3. #73
    Originally Posted by natasftw Go to original post
    For your first point, you're replying to a post that is using"guesses" in the same context as you're using "suggested solutions ...that conclusion." Sure, it's not a guessing thread and pure guesses are annoying. But, that's a bit of a straw man argument when you look at the context you're replying to. They're calling the things behind spoiler tags guesses,which they essentially are regardless of thought involved.

    For your second point, you're operating in a vacuum. Your idea works great in theory. But, take a look through several threads and you'll see the practice doesn't apply as you describe. Pretty much the entire "suggested solution" is hidden behind the spoiler tag. In order to follow along at all, one must expose the entire post to see a part of it. Really,this is functionally no different than scrolling a web browser. In that end, you make it less for everyone (poster and late reader alike) by simply incorporating a scroll bar. That's been done. Any additional steps are over engineering something that has a simple solution.

    Does clicking ~30 extra posts prevent me from following along? No. But, neither would avoiding that. I typically fall into the category that reads the thread after work once the puzzle has been solved. I've been able to go at my own pace for a few years now with and without the tags.

    Let's check my handy User's Guide to the Internet here. Okay, says here I need to answer the following 3 questions -

    Is the poster upset that the world doesn't conform to his/her view of what's convenient for him/her?
    Yes

    Did the poster use over 200 words to needlessly continue the discussion of a completely banal topic? (Extra points if on a music, books, art or video game forum)
    Yes.

    Did the poster incorrectly use terminology relating to a logical fallacy in said post? (extra points for 'begs the question', 'ad hominem attack' or 'straw man argument')
    Yes.

    Ok, it says here you should log off and maybe spend some time outside.
     4 people found this helpful
    Share this post

  4. #74
    The_Working_Man's Avatar Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Kansas City, USA
    Posts
    3,836
    Well, I did find this (but I don't want people viewing on the mobile-friendly page to know about it):
    Spoiler:  Show
    You're viewing on the desktop page, right?
    Spoiler:  Show
    Are you sure you want to see this?
    Spoiler:  Show
    It might ruin the surprise
    Spoiler:  Show
    Don't blame me if this spoils it for you
    Spoiler:  Show
    Don't you want to try to guess what it is first?
    Spoiler:  Show
    I don't know, maybe I shouldn't say
    Spoiler:  Show
    Geez, you're very persistent!
    Spoiler:  Show
    I guess that means you really want to see what's in here
    Spoiler:  Show
    Okay, here goes....
    Spoiler:  Show
    Grover is the Monster at the End of the Book.

     15 people found this helpful
    Share this post

  5. #75
    toymachinesh's Avatar Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Toronto, ON
    Posts
    8,126
    rofl
     2 people found this helpful
    Share this post

  6. #76
    BazzTard61's Avatar Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Adelaide, South_Australia
    Posts
    4,696
    Originally Posted by The_Working_Man Go to original post
    Well, I did find this (but I don't want people viewing on the mobile-friendly page to know about it):
    Spoiler:  Show
    You're viewing on the desktop page, right?
    Spoiler:  Show
    Are you sure you want to see this?
    Spoiler:  Show
    It might ruin the surprise
    Spoiler:  Show
    Don't blame me if this spoils it for you
    Spoiler:  Show
    Don't you want to try to guess what it is first?
    Spoiler:  Show
    I don't know, maybe I shouldn't say
    Spoiler:  Show
    Geez, you're very persistent!
    Spoiler:  Show
    I guess that means you really want to see what's in here
    Spoiler:  Show
    Okay, here goes....
    Spoiler:  Show
    Grover is the Monster at the End of the Book.


    That was so funny it was worth the effort to login just to say ROTFL
     2 people found this helpful
    Share this post

  7. #77
    Yerbatera's Avatar Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    591
     3 people found this helpful
    Share this post

  8. #78
    Originally Posted by rhyspinot Go to original post
    Let's check my handy User's Guide to the Internet here. Okay, says here I need to answer the following 3 questions -

    Is the poster upset that the world doesn't conform to his/her view of what's convenient for him/her?
    Yes

    Did the poster use over 200 words to needlessly continue the discussion of a completely banal topic? (Extra points if on a music, books, art or video game forum)
    Yes.

    Did the poster incorrectly use terminology relating to a logical fallacy in said post? (extra points for 'begs the question', 'ad hominem attack' or 'straw man argument')
    Yes.

    Ok, it says here you should log off and maybe spend some time outside.

    Sure thing. Let me pull out my handy "User's Guide to Common Sense"

    1) Read the last paragraph. I stated it doesn't prevent me from doing anything and that both ways work identically, for the most part. If that's your definition of "upset," I'm sorry. I'd hate to have such a poor understanding of the topic =(

    2) Pot, meet kettle

    3) I take it you don't understand what the straw man is. In this case, he argued against something that wasn't there contextually. Taking things out of context, he argued a point that wasn't being made. He built up the straw man and tore it down. Was that a far reach?

    Interesting. I take forever to reply. You reply quickly. You're right. I'm the one that needs time away. I'll get back to doing that.
    Share this post

Page 8 of 8 ◄◄  First ... 678