🛈 Announcement
Greetings! The Division forums are now archived and accessible in read-only mode, please go to the new platform to discuss the game

Weapon balance in update 1.3

Hello Agents,

The weapon Meta has been a huge topic of discussion within the community. Using statistical data and community feedback, we looked at what needed to be changed to help bring more variety to weapons. As the release of Update 1.3 inches towards us we want to share some more details with you.

AN UNBALANCED META

Selecting a strong weapon loadout is crucial to your overall effectiveness when dealing with enemies. Currently, this often revolves around the combination of an SMG with a Marksman Rifle, specifically the Aug/Vector paired with an M1A. With SMGs yielding the highest DPS at close range, and the Marksman Rifle’s power at long range, this pairing has become a staple in the current Meta. As the only two weapon families with unique bonuses, they are the most sought-after and used weapons. This has led to an unequal spread of weapon usage among players.

From this you can see that SMGs, Marksman Rifles, and Assault Rifles are the clear favorites, with LMGs and Shotguns very far behind. Assault Rifles have a higher optimal range with higher base headshot damage, making them still effective. However it’s clear that LMGs and Shotguns need some love.

Within the SMG weapon family, we have also seen a large disparity in weapons used.

This difference stems from both availability and power. The AUG, Vector, and MP5 can be acquired through blueprints in the Dark Zone, making their availability much greater than others, which is one cause of the large difference. In addition, the AUG and Vector are simply the most powerful SMGs based on their stats. This is why this large descrepency exists.

To address the current domination of the SMGs and Marksman Rifles and bring a better balance between all the weapon families, we are going to make the following changes:

• Add unique bonuses to each weapon family
    • Increase Shotgun damage output
    • Decrease the damage of the AUG and Vector
    • Make adjustments to the M1A
    • Introduce new weapons
    • Add the ability to reroll talents on weapons
    • Make changes to Special Ammo
    • Below we will detail exactly how we are going to achieve better weapon balance.

GIVING YOU MORE CHOICES

New Weapon Bonuses

Your choice of weapon has a huge impact on your playstyle. To bring more variety, we are adding unique bonuses to the weapon families that do not have them and changing the bonus on SMGs. The new bonuses are:

• SMGs now have a crit hit damage bonus rather than crit hit chance. It is much harder to reach a higher critical hit chance now, and you will have to make more stat choices when selecting gear in order to take advantage of the new bonus.
    • LMGs receive a bonus that increases their damage to targets out of cover by about 25%. The design of LMGs is to force people into cover and control areas with their large magazine sizes.
    • Shotguns receive a stagger bonus against NPC. When shooting targets, you have a high chance of causing them to stumble and lose their balance. This will not affect other players, however. Shotguns are also receiving a buff to their base damage that scales with the weapon’s level and up to a maximum of 30%.
    • Assault Rifles receive a bonus to enemy armor damage. This allows Assault Rifles to be a powerful weapon in PVE situations.
    • No changes were made to the bonus on Marksman Rifles

Each bonus provides an impact in a variety of situations and playstyles. Additionally, bringing up the damage on Shotguns up allows them to reach a level that is more on par with other weapons while they are in their optimal range. These changes allow you to now select your weapon loadout around your preferred playstyle rather than their DPS value.

The AUG and Vector

It’s clear that the AUG and Vector are two of the most sought-after weapons in the game. With a higher max damage than Assault Rifles, this desire is understandable. To address their damage level we are making the following change:

• Reduce the damage done by the AUG and Vector by 10%.

SMGs are meant to be close-quarter combat weapons that gain more from critical strikes and therefore rely on hitting the target with as many bullets as possible.

M1A

With the current Meta many players are using an M1A together with an SMG. Due to its power level and its usage level relative to other Marksman Rifles, we are making the following change:

• Increase the minimum accuracy cap on the M1A. When you shoot consistently, the cross hair will grow to a much larger size than it previously did.

The change allows for a slower and more controlled playstyle that is better suited to how Marksman Rifles should be used.

New Weapons

With Underground we are also introducing a few new weapon types. Each one will have its own balancing relative to its weapon family as well as a unique talent. The new weapons and their talents are as following:

Named Shotgun: Showstopper (This is a fully automatic shotgun)
    Showstopper: The emptier the clip, the better the accuracy.

Assault Rifle: G36
    Focused: When no skills are on cooldown you weapon damage is increased by X%.

Marksman Rifle: SVD
    Decisive: Killing a target will make your next shot with the weapon be an automatic critical hit.

SMG: PP-19
    Hurried: Each critical hit reduces your next reload time with X% to a minimum of Y seconds.

Changes to Weapon Talents

Weapon talents are a crucial aspects of your weapon and often the deciding factor in making a weapon powerful or not. To make the process of finding weapons a bit less reliant on RNG, we are making it possible to recalibrate a talent on your weapon. In order to do so you have to collect a new currency called Weapon Kit that can be obtained through crafting, enemy drops, and crates in the Underground. Spend them in combination some Phoenix Credits at the Recalibration bench to be able to recalibrate a talent on your weapon. All talents can be recalibrated and it works in the same way gear rerolling does.

These changes allow you to adjust your weapon talents rather than forcing you to use a specific weapon type because of the talents it has on it.

Special Ammo

With a few new gear sets focused on consumables we’ve taken the opportunity to adjust them overall.

Explosive ammo provides a huge amount of burst damage that would very often be the deciding factor in a Dark Zone fight. While it should still provide a boost in damage, we are going to significantly reduce the burst damage that players are currently experiencing in Update 1.3. The ammo will now scale linearly with the damage of the bullet. If you hit for 10,000 damage, the explosion will do the same.

Similarly, we’ve also taken a look at Incendiary Bullets. Currently they set you on fire for a longer duration than Incendiary Grenades. With that, their duration has been reduced from a 10 seconds to 3 seconds. This change should better reflect their power.

All in all these changes should bring more playstyle options for you to choose from. Adjusting certain weapons, adding bonuses to all weapon families, introducing new weapons and talents, and allowing a weapon talent to be recalibrated will open doors to a large variety of new play styles and allow you to further customize your loadout.

Your feedback is invaluable to us. We can’t wait to see how you guys do with the new changes and what new weapon metas are formed. As always, make sure you keep the feedback coming!

- The Division Dev Team

While I am really glad to see these changes, I can clearly see the focus on symptoms, not the source of the issue.
    I'm looking forward to see how the weapon category buffs will affect the meta, but it will hardly affect per-category balance, as there are many more things that need to be taken into consideration.

The best thing I can suggest is to make certain statistics dynamically scale with weapon mods and to establish balancing scheme across all weapons so certain weapons or weapon classes don't make other options irrelevant.

On the subject of SMGs, the most sought-after SMG now will most likely be MP7 that is remarkably rare while outclassing both Vector and AUG in terms of damage output.
    I wish I had access to all the mechanics behind these guns (mostly spread values), but I can make certain suggestions instead.

Effective range has to be tied with firerate, weapons with high firerate are naturally bound to be effective up close, hence their recoil, accuracy and spread should prevent them from reliably engaging targets outside their effective range, that means weapons like:

MP7, SMG-9 and Vector are bound to have very short effective range, due to their firerate and/or damage.
    MP5 should have better range than all of these, due to its lower damage profile, coupled with respectable firerate however.
    T821 should have effective range and accuracy comparable to an assault rifle, thanks to its low firerate and average damage.

This way, MP7, SMG-9 and Vector outdamage MP5 and T821 up close, but as the range increases, so does their effective damage output.

Same should apply for every other weapon category, as e.g. in the case of ARs, both P416 and Mk16 are made close to irrelevant due to M4 variants (mainly LVOA-C) and AKs that offer much better output overall.

I really do suggest looking at BF4 CTE's spread changes that took place in the past.

Additionally, with the M1A nerf, people will only gravitate towards M44 and maybe SRS, the only way to salvage SCAR-H and Mks would be to either turn them into high-power ARs with great accuracy but even greater recoil or to greatly increase their spread decrease and ammo pools, so they can benefit from increased magazine sizes.

I also ask to take a look at these threads:
    Rebalancing gear sets, in response to the latest State of the Game stream that caused quite an uproar and Balancing PvP in the Division, an issue that has been present since the game's inception.

/shameless self promotion.

So is the battle rifle coming without the talent distractive or is that a weapon and talent combo?

Stupid

If your goal is to kill the player base, you're doing one hell of a job at it. Congrats on that. Because it's working. I'm running into the same players everyday now. That's saying something. I used to be able to see different players with a 1 in a million chances of running into my friends or people I've seen before. I had really high hopes for this game but with every update, it's just making more and more people leave. Half my friends list doesn't even come online anymore.

The AUG and the Vector are the most used guns in the game because it's the only ones we can craft and the only ones that drop with decent talents. No kidding no one will use a Midas because the same talents always get rolled with that trash of a gun. I wouldn't mind using an MP7 but I can never find a good one. Nerfing the AUG and Vector is stupid. All this nerfing and not enough buffing on the weapons that are complete trash like the LMG. The only use for the LMG right now is suppressing the NPCs. I'm sick and tired of grinding for stuff and in the end, it gets nerfed. I worked so hard to finally get all 240s on 4 sentry pieces. Then that got nerfed to semi-automatic weapons. Then I worked on 3 strikers and 3 Sentry and now soon it will be useless. I'm sick and tired of this. If you want the other gear sets to be used, then make useful attributes on them. Lone Star is trash. Final Measure is only useful with 2 pieces. Who the hell uses Nomad these days when Scavenging is BROKEN and has been broken since the game started. Making someone bleed isn't a big deal when you can just pop a heal.

If you want other gears to be used, then make some of the stupid talents work in PVP and not just PVE

And I see all these nerfs but nothing towards a "Tank-tician". There is nothing that is armor piercing. I'm going to start considering that build since pretty much it's the only build worth running now. You nerfed explosive rounds and fire bullets which is great but now there's seriously nothing to stop a Tactician player. 4 piece tactician and 2 piece final measure and you're pretty much a God.

Good job ubisoft. Another game where the consumer gets screwed again and where everything at E3 will 99% of the time now be in the final piece of the game.

Originally Posted by WoNDeRAiM Go to original post
    where everything at E3 will 99% of the time now be in the final piece of the game.
    *EDIT* will NOT BE in the final piece.

Stupid NERF !!

Why u all keep NERF that ...
    NERF AUG . Vector , M1A ...
    NERF Sentry Call and Striker Set .. What the hell is this ..
    You suppose to balance it NOT NERF
    Management are start killing this game...
    IS SUCKS !!

Totally agree what u said ..

If your goal is to kill the player base, you're doing one hell of a job at it. Congrats on that. Because it's working. I'm running into the same players everyday now. That's saying something. I used to be able to see different players with a 1 in a million chances of running into my friends or people I've seen before. I had really high hopes for this game but with every update, it's just making more and more people leave. Half my friends list doesn't even come online anymore.

The AUG and the Vector are the most used guns in the game because it's the only ones we can craft and the only ones that drop with decent talents. No kidding no one will use a Midas because the same talents always get rolled with that trash of a gun. I wouldn't mind using an MP7 but I can never find a good one. Nerfing the AUG and Vector is stupid. All this nerfing and not enough buffing on the weapons that are complete trash like the LMG. The only use for the LMG right now is suppressing the NPCs. I'm sick and tired of grinding for stuff and in the end, it gets nerfed. I worked so hard to finally get all 240s on 4 sentry pieces. Then that got nerfed to semi-automatic weapons. Then I worked on 3 strikers and 3 Sentry and now soon it will be useless. I'm sick and tired of this. If you want the other gear sets to be used, then make useful attributes on them. Lone Star is trash. Final Measure is only useful with 2 pieces. Who the hell uses Nomad these days when Scavenging is BROKEN and has been broken since the game started. Making someone bleed isn't a big deal when you can just pop a heal.

If you want other gears to be used, then make some of the stupid talents work in PVP and not just PVE

And I see all these nerfs but nothing towards a "Tank-tician". There is nothing that is armor piercing. I'm going to start considering that build since pretty much it's the only build worth running now. You nerfed explosive rounds and fire bullets which is great but now there's seriously nothing to stop a Tactician player. 4 piece tactician and 2 piece final measure and you're pretty much a God.

Good job ubisoft. Another game where the consumer gets screwed again and where everything at E3 will 99% of the time now be in the final piece of the game.
    They are start to killing this game!
    This is not call BALANCE is NERF ... UBISOFT is SUCKS!

1+ on this. And i thinks almost everyone in The community is Thinking The same.

Originally Posted by Natchai_Ubisoft Go to original post
    Hello Agents,

"The weapon Meta has been a huge topic of discussion within the community. Using statistical data and community feedback, we looked at what needed to be changed to help bring more variety to weapons. As the release of Update 1.3 inches towards us we want to share some more details with you."

"The AUG and Vector"

It’s clear that the AUG and Vector are two of the most sought-after weapons in the game. With a higher max damage than Assault Rifles, this desire is understandable. To address their damage level we are making the following change:

Reduce the damage done by the AUG and Vector by 10 %.

Your feedback is invaluable to us. We can’t wait to see how you guys do with the new changes and what new weapon metas are formed. As always, make sure you keep the feedback coming!

- The Division Dev Team
    Okey, You cant Even stop lying in an post TO The community..

You guy's stated here that community feedback is invaluable to you and You have used it to make The changes in weapon balancing.

NO ONE in this community have EVER stated that The Vector and AUG where OP! This is entierly YOUR decision and then You guy's blame it on community feedback.

Same with The striker/sentry nerf. NO ONE except YOU guy's is saying it's OP.

You nerf these things because it's popular, what Kind of bs is that?
    The only reason They Are popular is because there Are no other weapons and Gearsets thats worth having! Insteed of nerfing The only viable options thats in The game You should buff The ones thats actually useless!
    The only thing You will accomplish with these nerfs is angry players that will leave The game.
    You Are maiking it even Harder to kill an npc and players in DZ with these nerfs, AS They wherent hard enough before!

The only OP thing in this game as it stands now is The "Tank-Tician" builds, and by nerfing The only options that can take One down You Are making it Even more OP.

Get your heads out of eachothers asses and actually start to listen to The community and stop lying! Dont You understand that The only things You ever will accomplish with these Kind of changes is players leaving?

Dont nerf

Simple. Dont nurf things buff thoes that are lacking and create gear and weapons people will use. This way people dont feel cheated after spending days farming for gear to have it nurfed.

Whats the point in continuing playing this game when you keep fcuking it up with nerfs .
    Relly wish i never bothered with the season pass as the game looked so promising ,Last time i pre-order a game with season pass included or a game even .
    Just balance the game so when we're in the DZ everyone can compete with each other when players go rogue ,get rid of xp / dz funds lost on death that way it'll be so much fun and not a pain getting back your rank and dz credits .

Massive you need to start listening to the player base like bungie did ,game is so boring now as player above said same people in same server ganking every fcuker with lower gear and rank .

Page 1 of 11 123 ... Last ►►