Am I genuinely stupid or is this editor totally busted?

Hello everyone, first time posting on the Ubi forums! Quick background: I'm a longtime Trials Evo Gold player and a mapmaker on the side. I've spent a good deal of time working with the Evo Gold editor and, while it does have its shortcomings and bugs at times (multiple Undo, I'm looking at you), it's really powerful and generally pretty reliable.

All that said, I simply cannot use the editor in Trials Fusion for a number of reasons regarding both bugs and lack of feature-completeness. I'm here to ask if I'm just doing something wrong or if the functionality I seek has been moved or changed. There's a hell of a lot of fine creations on Trials Fusion's Track Central, and I'm not ready to believe that THIS was the editor used to make them, or even that this was used to make the Career mode tracks. There's just no way. It's just so busted.

• Drag-duplicate is completely gone, as is rotation snapping. These two bread-and-butter features were present in Evo Gold, and I used them the most (with "R to snap/rotate to driving line" in 3rd place). Without these essential functions, how can anything get done?
    • Oh, my bad. Mashing CTRL will rotate an object in snap degree increments on ONE AXIS. What the hell is this? Is this a bug? This can't be the actual method of doing this. It only seems to work on one axis in one direction, and Undoing reverts it all the way to before you started rotating.
    • More of a minor grievance, but was in necessary to make the Move and Rotate axis controls SO thin? They're just plain difficult to see.
    • Terrain modification scaling doesn't have a height axis handle... oh wait, yeah it does. It's just INVISIBLE! Additionally, none of the handles actually move to signify how far you've pulled them.
    • Some objects which should be scalable (specific example: Area Clear) aren't scalable at all. The object properties panel no longer has an option for radius, and the "Scale" mode on the interface is grayed out and inaccessible.
    • Somehow, the "multiple actions undone in one Undo" thing from Evo Gold (and I assume vanilla Evo as well) still exists.
    • Double clicking on an object no longer brings up its Properties menu. Granted, it's my fault for not just using "P" instead, and the double-click method often led to accidentally moving the object, but old habits die hard. :/
    • No personal experience with this one, but I've heard that the Editor tends to corrupt saved level files. Is this true, or is that an old, long-fixed bug?
    • The icing on the cake: the editor sometimes randomly crashes to desktop. Granted, the whole game has done that before as well, but it's especially disconcerting that the Editor would do that, especially since crash = progress since last Save lost. Evo Gold has crashed on me before, but only in the menus (usually related to Advanced Search), and never during gameplay. DEFINITELY not in the Editor.

Couple all of this with the fact that Fusion STILL runs like complete trash on PC (and maybe console? Does it? I'm curious), and you're left with a player utterly confounded that Fusion has so many more players and creators than Evo. It's a real shame, there's a lot of really cool track creation assets in Fusion that I'll probably never end up using. I HAD PLANS, I TELL YOU.

Firstly The game/editor runs fine on console unless if you go over the top with object count, physics or logic chains.

Secondly Get a controller for map building in Fusion. This editor was never meant to be used with a keyboard, as you can tell by all the bugs and missing features when using it with mouse and keyboard. Most of the things you've mentioned should be solved with a controller

Originally Posted by Nibor1hats Go to original post
    Firstly The game/editor runs fine on console unless if you go over the top with object count, physics or logic chains.

Secondly Get a controller for map building in Fusion. This editor was never meant to be used with a keyboard, as you can tell by all the bugs and missing features when using it with mouse and keyboard. Most of the things you've mentioned should be solved with a controller
    With all due respect: seriously? A controller? I can hardly imagine that being more efficient/easier, and it ceases to explain why the editor has all these problems on KBM in the first place. I'd argue that if I can make great levels just fine in Evo, it should be as easy (if not easier) in Fusion. It's the same game engine - besides the new editor pieces and event logic implementations, what really changed?

I appreciate your recommendation, but if the editor really is broken for KBM users then I'm afraid that simply won't do. If it worked in the previous game on the same engine, then there is no excuse for it to be this broken now, especially after the game has been out for... what? 2 years now?

I'd like to hear from someone at RedLynx on this topic, because it's absolutely baffling to me. I thought I was just dumb and was doing something wrong/not adapting well to a change in binds, etc., but wow. I feel like PC got an inferior version of this game all-around.

You are doing something wrong. You're using mouse and keyboard. As far as i heard in the editor streams even the devs are using the controller.

There's a hell of a lot of fine creations on Trials Fusion's Track Central, and I'm not ready to believe that THIS was the editor used to make them...
    So what you're basically saying is, that there is a huge conspiracy and everyone else who is building is using some super secret editor, except for you?
     1 people found this helpful