Myst IV: Revelation and Windows 10

I recently got rid of my old laptop which I had kept for so long only for old games like Myst, and put everything I needed onto my other PC (Win10).

Myst 4 unfortunately doesn't run at all.

I installed the 1.03 patch, but this didn't help much, I just don't get an error this time.

After installing the patch Myst simply crashes upon startup (Myst 4.exe has stopped working) as soon as it tries to start.

I have run this in Admin, used compatibility modes (95, 98, 2000, xp, vista, 7), and nothing works.

Any ideas?

Welcome to the Forums!

In general,
    -- a. Install Revelation to your C: drive.
    ----- 1. If you have a very small C: that's reserved for system files only, install Revelation to D:.
    ----- 2. Do NOT install the game to an external drive, either USB or E-SATA.
    -- b. Start Revelation from a fresh boot.
    ----- 1. Disable all anti-virus/spyware/adware/pop-up programs running in the background.
    ----- 2. If you have only a software firewall (ZoneAlarm, for example), do NOT disable it!
    ----- 3. Do NOT run any other programs before starting Revelation.
    -- c. Do NOT boot up with a CD or DVD in any drive.
    -- d. If the Revelation disc autostarts when you insert it into the drive, cancel back to the Desktop.
    -- e. Start the game using the Revelation icon on the Desktop, NOT the menu item on the Revelation disc.

Suggestions:

1. I recommend applying the 1.02 patch and then the 1.03 patch. The 1.0 to 1.02 patch is 41.1 MB, while the 1.0 to 1.03 patch is only 15.4 MB, which may mean there's "good stuff" included in 1.02 that isn't included in 1.03. Download the Revelation patches here.
    -- a. Reboot after applying each patch.
    -- b. Start Revelation from a fresh boot.

2. Run Revelation specifically as an Administrator again, per the following.
    -- a. Go to Run as Administrator in Windows 10.
    -- b. Scroll down to CONTENTS:.
    -- c. Choose an option.
    -- d. Start Revelation.

3. Try all of the various manual Compatibility Mode settings again, per the following. Combinations of settings for the same attempt will probably be necessary. Also run Compatibility Troubleshooter.
    -- a. Go to How to Change Compatibility Mode Settings for Apps in Windows 10.
    -- b. Scroll down to CONTENTS:.
    -- c. Choose Option One.
    -- d. Try the various settings.
    ----- 1. See the Settings -- Description table for setting options.

4. Instead of clicking on the Desktop Revelation start icon, try going to the Program Files Revelation directory and clicking on the Myst4.exe file to start the game.

Also, take a look at the following:

-- Is Windows 10 Backwards Compatible With Your Existing Software?

-- How to Make Old Programs Work on Windows 10

-- How to play SafeDisc and Securom DRM games in Windows 10 (Revelation uses SafeDisc 3 DRM)

Struggled about a day on this but found the solution to my Windows 10 64-bit issue

I'm on Windows 10 64-bit using a Surface Pro 3. I found that this solution worked for me to get the game to work finally (the steps provided above especially with the patches I'm sure helps too): http://www.mystcommunity.com/board/i...s-10-solution/. It is relating to disabling "HID-compliant ___" devices in "Device Manager > Human Interface Devices" to narrow down the culprit. Best of luck.

1.03 patch

The link has patches for 1.0, 1.02 and 1.03. The patch for 1.03 does not have myst4.exe file. It has rvl-m43c.nfo instead. I have patched to 1.02 which fixed the no dvd file but now it has an error on startup that says Unable to create directory C:.../.../.../myst4-revelationsavegames.