🛈 Announcement
Greetings! Anno forums are now archived and accessible in read-only mode, please go to the new platform to discuss the game
    Ubi-Cerisino's Avatar Community Representative

Your feedback to the ORBIT short story

Dear Anno Fans,

you can leave your feedback to the ORBIT short story here. The release of the DLC is not far away anymore and if you like background stories, you can shorten the waiting time a bit.

Your Anno Team

Writing itself seems solid. But there are related questions:

If it's already a short story, why tease it over the course of a month? Won't readers forget what happened prior each time a new part comes out? Seems to make more sense to release 4 shorter (but still complete) stories, or just release the whole thing the week before release to generate hype.

In any case, this is the first time I've seen a written story accompany an Anno game or DLC, how will you get this out to the players? The forums are probably only a tiny fraction of the playerbase. Would be cool to have like an audiobook-style track to listen to during gameplay (but possibly not a good investment to get voice actors for X different languages for a clip most players will only want to listen to once).

Story time

Commander Blue or Commander Byte? Which will you choose?

* While talking to Commander Byte, the leader of the Jupiter Expedition, a sudden and loud explosion interrupted us and short after, debris which appear to be part of a large transport ship, start falling on top of our colony.
    Commander Byte: Err its nothing.
    *Trying the best to lie me over the upcoming dangerous situation.
    Commander Byte: I...t mu...st be a meteor... that... our... missiles... managed to bring it down. Yes a meteor. Don't worry the colonies are built to resist. We have build a very good missile system to protect us against large asteroids such as this.
    *But that was only another lie. Few buildings around being quite damaged and for certain not by the current falling debris.
    Commander Byte: Err this building was hit by an explosion. Yes an explosion.
    *Byte trying again to lie me as much as possible while my eyes were laying over several more buildings around that had a similar fate so that couldn't be an coincidence at all.
    Me: What about these?
    *All of a sudden on the local TV a breaking news captured our attention.
    TV: Not long ago one of our largest and proudest transport spaceships called Aurora was destroyed upon re-entry in what looked like a massive explosion on board the ship. Hundreds of colonists died. More disturbing news is that the ship was supposed to bring us prov... *Seconds later the TV was laying on the floor, destroyed by Commander Byte in his desperate try to hide the upcoming disaster he was going to confront with.
    Commander Byte: Err it looks like I have a small little problem.
    *Of course the problem wasn't small at all but lets hear him out.
    Commander Byte: That shuttle was supposed to bring us... life sustaining products such as... water..., food... and lots of oxygen tanks for our explorers. Please take my rover and go salvage what you can. The next transport ship is due to arrival over 6 months. 6 MONTHS! Without those provisions we won't even last 3.
    *Minutes later, after some more debriefing of the upcoming disaster.
    Commander Byte: Few months ago we lost contact with one of our primary hubs. Maybe you can go throw a look to what happened to that colony as well. I will reward you greatly.
    Commander Byte: Another thing... one of our other colonies went rogue not long ago... and also become dark. And I have a feeling they were behind the Aurora Cargo Ship sabotage that end up in the total destruction of the ship. See if you can reason with them. We are not prepared for a war with our own people yet but if you don't manage to bring them to the negotiating table then we don't have a choice but eliminating them.
    Me in my mind: Maybe I should listen to Commander Blue and help him Terraform Mars. At least he was honest to me about dangers of Mars unlike Byte's lying that everything is fine.

Feedback

In parallel with main quest, extensive story quests and small side quests, I think the idea of storytelling in Anno would have some amazing role play impact, improving this game even more. Such stories should be implemented in form of a pop up menu that will appear at certain moments through the game, similar to main story trailers, presenting you the different stages of the Moon Licencing Program. Their role should be simply as a small distraction / break from the game, and should provide some fun to read events as well. Such stories should be treated similar to achievements and they should not only in special circumstances. For example build 5 research stations on an isle and all of a sudden a story will break out.

Spyros_I's Avatar Junior Member
    I like the stories, they remind me of the old game Outpost 2: Divided Destiny (1997). A nice RTS back then with in-game stoies that resembled a Sci-Fi novel.

I really like background stories, it ads much more life into the game. Stories should be tied to quest. For example the dairy of a moon refugee who ended up on the refugee camp near the Novikov Crater. How long before the next part of the orbit short story comes out?

Hi guys,

thanks for your feedback.
    If everything works out as planned, we will publish the next part tomorrow.

Cerisino

The new part is online now.
    In the same thread.

Enjoy reading.

Cerisino

Spyros_I's Avatar Junior Member
    Thanks. But I it's a bit short, only 4 parts. i guess we'll have to see how it connects with the expansion.

7/20

So the DLC is coming out on 7/20 and it's already 7/18 evening. Is it safe to say you'll just release the entire story tomorrow?

They doesn't have to release them all at once.