Rekalty's Avatar Senior Member

[Q&A] Jonathan Morin and Dominic Guay on Reddit - Jun 16th

https://www.reddit.com/r/watch_dogs/...guay_thursday/

They're done answering questions for now, already pretty busy at E3. I'll update the OP if they reveal any new useful info - Ubi-Elyon put together a recap, which is posted below, my own "most important" answers and comments have been moved to my next post.

1. How is the exploration and are there more interiors than in the first game?
    We have interiors for shops, restaurants, key areas, missions, etc. There are plenty, more and bigger ones then in WD1, but we did not try to create all the interiors of the Bay, so our focus remains on exteriors exploration. We indeed try to keep our mission interiors available even when not in missions, to enrich the world. Funny story, I did not got to Alcatraz for two months. Went back last week: that prison is pretty cool, nice tourist trap. One big change in direction in WD2 for exploration is that now we give more value to exploring in the world instead of relying too much on icons. When you look at our map you see the name of places: Coit Tower, Alcatraz, Pier 39, etc. You drive there, you look around, talk to people, use Network Hacking to have your "scripts" look for Informations of Interests, etc. While icons still are useful, we want players to discover content while immersed in the 3D world. I'm a big explorer myself and already our new designs have been a lot more fun for me. –Dom

2. Are City Hotspots still in the game?
    Hotspots are not coming back, but we have something more fun instead. Hint: Tourist app + camera app. -Dom

3. is there any situations in the game that can occur where you lose your followers?
    We do not want you to have long term punishments for your actions (like losing followers). There is still consequences to how you play, but the game does not hold "grudges" against you. Gaining followers will have you progress in the narrative and it will also grow your ability to hack. –Dom

4. Is the reputation system returning?
    Reputation is not part of WD2. We wanted to avoid making you feel at odd with the game tone because of scoring mistakes. Instead we have the world narrative respond to DedSec operations with debates always representing both sides. It fits more with the vibe of a dedsec hacker exposing all truths. WD2 is a huge game and if you combine all free roam and online content it is safe to say that it's a bigger game than the first one. Money is your mean to get ammo, cars and 3D printed tools which includes weapons and drones. It will ace a better impact but the most meaningful aspect of our progression is followers. We have a few radial hacks yes, the mass hack on communications shown at E3 is one of them. And we have others... –Jon

5. Will you have the ability to punch/attack civilians at will? If so, will it have a negative impact of some sorts?
    Yes. Doing so could cause them to fight back, attract other civilians to defend them, have cops called on you, attract nearby cops to intervene.

6. Can we expect Easter Eggs?
    You can expect some more.

7. We've only seen two player co-op so far (on screen), can we expect free roam lobbies to return with more than 2 players?
    There is no such thing as a free roaming lobby anymore since the whole world can be a natural lobby at any time. As you play in solo, you can meet other players in the world and have fun together. Coop team size is limited to 2. Also, more then 2 players can together, but that will imply PvP. (more on that later).

8. Any microtransactions?
    No in game currency. No Pay to win. We do indeed plan for some customization packs available through first party stores but those do not have gameplay impact. Note that there will already be hundreds of varied custo items available in game at launch.

9. Are we able to hit the Civilians with the Thunderball or fists?
    We are able to hit citizens with the fists. –Jon

10. Will the Focus mechanic return?
    Focus is not coming back. The main reason being it removes that exploit for detecting someone is in your game. –Dom

11. When you steal money, will you be able to give money back like in AC2?
    No we cannot give back money in the game. But you can decide to not steal it in the first place and make money by other means in WD2 such as through activities & protected areas in free roam for examples. –Jon

12. With co-op, can you play ANY mission with your friends or only select ones?
    You cannot play ANY mission. You can only play certain Dedsec Op / missions. The reason is that some narrative missions were not well suited for coop. Our coop missions are made to be replayable: objective can be changed, opposition ramped up, etc. However, the way our game is structured, you still gather followers when you play these, so aside from a few key narrative moments, you can finish the game by playing only coop.

13. Can you elaborate on some of the different styles of clothing we can get from stores?
    We try to cover a very wide array of clothing styles / shops. You want Marcus to wear a suit and tie? Sure. Beach bum? Urban? Your call. And that's how others will see you online.

14. Will the PVP be as seamless as co-op or will it have loading screens like WD1?
    PVP now supports bi-directional seamless. –Dom

15. Will we be able to invade people's games still?
    Yes! (and even if they are playing in coop... -Dom

16. Will there be vehicle customisability?
    You can acquire skins for you vehicles. (these will be also seen by other players online) -Dom

17. Are there any "dark" aspects to the game? This is something I loved about WD1.
    I believe you mean "serious" topics. Yes, while the game is lighter in tone, we still focus on many relevant topics. While Marcus is a more optimistic character than Aiden, him and Dedsec will still face hardship and confront some very serious situations. -Dom

18. Any DEDSEC app for Android and iOS?
    Hey. As of now, we have no plan for a companion app. We wanted to focus all our efforts on the main experience. –Dom

19. How far along in development is the game at the moment?
    We are alpha (all game content and features done in some form) and working toward Beta (polish, debug, more production value). We shrunk the Penthouse mission you saw so it was faster to show but it is the "real game". –Dom

20. How in depth is the weapon customization?
    You can chose your weapon skin as for the mechanical customization they are more into which gun you chose. We offer many different variant of the same class with various functions/upgrades.-Jon Dedsec weapons can be customized and upgraded. -Dom

21. Is there a skill tree and experience system?
    The skill tree is called Research Tree this time since it represent the Dedsec Hive Mind for us. You get followers and through them you can level up to get research points. Then you can spend them in the tree to push for new hacks and knowledge. As for the money, it is used for the 3D printer which offers guns (both lethal and none-lethal) and drones. – Jon

22. Is weapon customization in the game?
    You can chose from a variety of weapons through 3D printing and they are many versions of each guns (with or without silencer and that sort of things). You can also skin your guns and cars. –Jon

23. Did you improve the driving system?
    We redid the entire driving model to make it more responsive, accessible and fun. We added far more Dept into hacking and play styles.We went for a more open narrative focusing a lot on the fantasy of hacking as well as the impact of technology in our society. And on popular demand we kept the seamless invasions and added coop. It is also worth noting that the new added dept in hacking plays a big part in pimping up the invasion gameplay loop. –Jon

24. Will there be a custom soundtrack option for the media app?
    No (not that we do not think it is a good idea...) – Dom

25. How AI works?
    Some AI changes i think are pretty cool. We now have systemic multi faction fights. So you can have two factions fighting, cops coming to intervene and you in the middle of all this. Cops can come for you, but also for any other person in the city. Cops can also come to investigate "fuzzy" situations, trying to decide who is causing trouble. –Dom

26. Will the game be always online?
    You can play without an internet connection. You can also customize your multiplayer settings to make sure online fits your taste. –Dom

27. Will we be able to buy and own cars?
    You can buy cars in dealerships. You can them order them through your car on the demand app. –Dom

28. Will the online free roam be back?
    Not like in WD1. You can either invite a friend in your game through the in-game phone or invite another player you meet in the world directly and enjoy free roaming together. There's a lot of things to do: missions, exploration which allows you to find more quests (operations) and key intels that will grow your character and quite a few other things. There are also various city events that will keep you busy. PVP is back with online invasion. And we have another cool seamless online PVP i can't wait (but am not allowed yet) to talk about. - Dom

29. Could you tell us anything about Josh?
    Josh is my personal favourite. He is the genius coder of the group. He can be socially weird sometimes creating very cool dynamics within the group. He's the guy building the drones. When this little social misfits is in your team you are winning for sure. –Jon

30. What made you decide on the radically different tone of Watch_Dogs 2, when compared to the brooding, revenge driven vigilante story of the first game?
    Each time we start a game we first define the world in which it will happen. The Bay Area is filled with smart creative minds who are not afraid to break the preconceived rules to redefine the way we live our day to day lives. This really "hacker" mindset inspired us to go for a younger hacker who was not afraid to challenge the way our society uses technology. So this younger more rebellious take this time is a logical extension of the vibe we perceived when visiting and digging into our new colorful and vivid setting. –Jon

31. Will there be actual radio stations in WD2?
    Yes they are radio stations in WD2 which you can play on your phone and that will also run in cars. –Jon

32. When using the phone, can you still scan the crowds smoothly and swich easely over?
    Great question. The line you see is selecting the hacking target automatically without any required inputs else than the stick. Then you can decide to tap the shoulder button to execute the quick hack of this target. Or you old the button and then all 4 face buttons transform into options. It is during that moment that the profiler appears. If you want to scan the profiles without holding the button it is possible in security cameras as well as in network hacking. - Jon

33. Will San Francisco Police Department follow the protagonist on water if the chase comes to that or will there not be boats this time around?
    Yes we have cop boats in WD2 . –Jon

34. Any comment on performance, optimization, for PC in particular?
    I'm not that fancy and i'm not PR, just a dev. On WD2 the team is very intent on making sure all the configs we support get good perf at launch. For this we need to work with hardware manufacturers on which drivers we are dependent and we are also doing aggressive configuration testing. It is not trivial, but I want to make it clear that we do care a lot about it. We have a whole team dedicated for the PC version and they come in every day with the passion to make the game great on your rig. They follow your comments online very closely. It's at the top of our list for PC, right above "make sure driving with a keyboard + mouse works well". -Dom
     1 people found this helpful

Frag_Maniac's Avatar Banned
    Originally Posted by Rekalty Go to original post
    They are intent on making sure all configs supported gets good performance at launch.
    You know that doesn't mean much, if all platforms end up looking the same, right?

Edited the OP with the assistance of Ubi-Elyon, moved my own notes and comments down here.

Getting followers levels you up (at certain amounts) and give you "Research Points" that are used in the "Research Tree" (their name for the Skill tree in WD2) to unlock new hacks, knowledge and abilities.

Killing civilians will not hurt your follower count, there will still be consequences, but the game doesn't hold a "grudge" against you. (Makes sense, or you would end up being unable to reach max follower level, due to your own actions.)

Reputation system will not be returning in WD2. The world should feel like it naturally responds to dedsec operations. (Not just make it a binary good vigilante/bad vigilante like before, sounds good to me.)

Focus will not be coming back, main reason being, it could be used as an exploit to see if you were being invaded. (And in my opinion, not every game needs its own version of bullet-time, so I'm fine with this.)

Hotspots will also not be returning, but something more fun instead (their words) - Hint: Tourist App + Camera App. (Possibly, taking selfies at landmarks and uploading to tourist app?)

There are no free roam lobbies anymore, since the whole world can be a natural lobby. Co-op team size is limited to 2 players, more than that would imply PvP - more on that later.

PvP now supports "bi-directional seamless" (I'm assuming that means no loading screen when you're invading someone.)

Not every mission can be played co-op, only certain Dedsec Op / missions. Co-op missions are made to be replayable, objectives can change, opposition ramped up, etc. Replaying these missions will keep giving you followers when replaying them, you can "finish" the game by only playing co-op content.

No in game currency/pay2win. They plan to have customization packs available though stores, purely cosmetical/no gameplay impact.

As for clothing, there will be a very wide array of clothing styles/shops, be it suit and tie, beach bum, urban, and so on.

Development is currently Alpha (All game content and features done in some form), working towards Beta (polish, debug, more production value. Penthouse mission was shortened for the sake of E3/gameplay footage, full mission will be in release.

Cars can be bought in dealerships, ordered though CarOnDemand App. You can acquire skins for cars, but that's the only customization/upgrades for them. (I do like this change, more things to spend money on, in the first game you magically got access to a car, just by entering it or "hacking" access from an npc.)

You will have access to a variety of weapons though 3D printing, many versions of each gun (with/without silencer, and so on) - Also skins for weapons. Dedsec weapons can be customized and upgraded. (Would like to have more info about which "dedsec weapons" we get, and how much actual customization/modification will be available, but it's still early, nice to at least hear there's some kind of it in the game.)

They currently do not have any plans for a companion app, wanting to focus all their efforts on the main experience. (While I would like some kind of linked app, given the theme of the game, even more so for WD2, would make sense to have some kind of Dedsec app, but I can't claim that it's a bad thing that they're wanting to focus on the main game.)

You can not give money back that you stole from npcs. (Yes, this was an actual question.)

PC optimization is not trivial, but they want to make it clear that we do care about it, they have a team dedicated to the PC version (and they apparently follow my comments very closely?... That's not creepy at all :P) They are intent on making sure all configs supported gets good performance at launch. No PC requirements released at this time, will be as soon as they are locked down.

There are radio stations in WD2, can be played on your phone and in cars. Custom music is not supported.

Cops now have boats and will chase you in water as well. (No more escaping easily just by getting into a boat and sailing into the sunset!)

The game will have plenty of interiors, more than the first game. These span from shops, resturants, to key areas, missions and so on. They didn't attempt to create every interior of the bay, their focus remained on exterior exploration. They do try to keep mission interiors available even when not in missions, to enrich the world.

As for your online/multiplayer persona, you create a "fake id" early on, which is how other players will see you, wearing the clothes you have on as Marcus. (No word if we'll always see ourselves as Marcus, or if we will also see us as our online persona when online.)

The synergy between the various hacks is exciting to the devs, it means far more awesome plan execution and fun ways to explore the systems from the players standpoint, they're looking forward to seeing what we'll do with the tools/hacks provided. (As seen in one of the gameplay trailers, throw bomb unto hood of car, rig it to explode on proximity to enemy, remote control car to drive it into a group of enemies, triggering the explosive, blowing up the car and anyone nearby, and that's just a "primitive" example.)

Ubi-Ligario's Avatar Community Developer
    Great recap Rekalty!

Ubi-Ligario's Avatar Community Developer
    Great recap Rekalty!

Originally Posted by Ubi-Ligario Go to original post
    Great recap Rekalty!
    Thank you, I do try! Been reading the Q&A again, pretty sure I caught the most important stuff, please let me know if I missed anything.

Thanks Rekalty, excellent summary!

Getting followers levels you up (at certain amounts) and give you "Research Points" that are used in the "Research Tree" (their name for the Skill tree in WD2) to unlock new hacks, knowledge and abilities.

Killing civilians will not hurt your follower count, there will still be consequences, but the game doesn't hold a "grudge" against you. (Makes sense, or you would end up being unable to reach max follower level, due to your own actions.)

Like the idea of followers as a universal currency for progress that will tie various activities together. And I for one appreciate forgiving games over "realism". I hate when games put a wet blanket on fun. Dishonored suffered a bit from that which annoyed me. I mean I really don't like rats. This system sounds better lol.

Reputation system will not be returning in WD2. The world should feel like it naturally responds to dedsec operations. (Not just make it a binary good vigilante/bad vigilante like before, sounds good to me.)

Focus will not be coming back, main reason being, it could be used as an exploit to see if you were being invaded. (And in my opinion, not every game needs its own version of bullet-time, so I'm fine with this.)

Hotspots will also not be returning, but something more fun instead (their words) - Hint: Tourist App + Camera App. (Possibly, taking selfies at landmarks and uploading to tourist app?)
    Reputation system was pretty bad, not gonna miss it. It's such a gamey thing, much prefer more natural response. Focus being removed is unexpected. Don't like the reason being MP tbh. I wonder especially how hacking in car chases will work now because I'm def not fast enough to that without focus. A little worried about this one. Hotspots were meh, so not gonna miss them.

As for clothing, there will be a very wide array of clothing styles/shops, be it suit and tie, beach bum, urban, and so on.

You will have access to a variety of weapons though 3D printing, many versions of each gun (with/without silencer, and so on) - Also skins for weapons. Dedsec weapons can be customized and upgraded. (Would like to have more info about which "dedsec weapons" we get, and how much actual customization/modification will be available, but it's still early, nice to at least hear there's some kind of it in the game.)

Nice with some clothing options. Not ususally big on that sort of thing, but WD1 was a bit too barren in this regard even for me. Also in a warmer city there should be more options. This 3D-printing feature is so weird and exciting lol. I really wonder how deep it goes. Def is a unique twist on things.

There are radio stations in WD2, can be played on your phone and in cars. Custom music is not supported.

Cops now have boats and will chase you in water as well. (No more escaping easily just by getting into a boat and sailing into the sunset!)

The game will have plenty of interiors, more than the first game. These span from shops, resturants, to key areas, missions and so on. They didn't attempt to create every interior of the bay, their focus remained on exterior exploration. They do try to keep mission interiors available even when not in missions, to enrich the world.

The synergy between the various hacks is exciting to the devs, it means far more awesome plan execution and fun ways to explore the systems from the players standpoint, they're looking forward to seeing what we'll do with the tools/hacks provided. (As seen in one of the gameplay trailers, throw bomb unto hood of car, rig it to explode on proximity to enemy, remote control car to drive it into a group of enemies, triggering the explosive, blowing up the car and anyone nearby, and that's just a "primitive" example.)
    Yes, yes (how the hell will I ever escape now?), yes!, soo looking forward to this last thing. Awesome!

Ubi-Elyon's Avatar Community Manager
    Dear sushiglutton,

Everytime I look at your signature and profile picture I start to be hungry. OMG. You can't do this, really.

*Sorry for the OFF TOPIC*

Originally Posted by Ubi-Elyon Go to original post
    Dear sushiglutton,

Everytime I look at your signature and profile picture I start to be hungry. OMG. You can't do this, really.

*Sorry for the OFF TOPIC*
    In my defense I do it to myself all the time ! But I'll try to refrain from posting around lunchtime (don't ban me if I do pleeeease).

25. How AI works?
    Some AI changes i think are pretty cool. We now have systemic multi faction fights. So you can have two factions fighting, cops coming to intervene and you in the middle of all this. Cops can come for you, but also for any other person in the city. Cops can also come to investigate "fuzzy" situations, trying to decide who is causing trouble. –Dom

This one is for you Shobbit!

Black_Widow9's Avatar Community Representative
    Thanks for posting this! It definitely answers a lot of questions I've seen.

kansas_dude's Avatar Banned
    How many (in all) missions, side missions/quests are there in WD2?

Are there any sports in WD2 (tennis, bowling, ping pong..ect.) that Marcus can play?