UbiSkyBear's Avatar Community Manager

Questions For Developers

Do you have any gameplay questions for our development team?

Post them here!

Let's keep in mind to be respectful and stay on-topic.

How do I know how many deaths I can have or in what time I have to finish track to still get mark A?
    Why is there no option for ghosts or clasic coop?
    Will there be later added track editor?

RidingMower's Avatar Member
    Hello readers,

My inclement reaction to TOTBD was a complete shock that it was actually really real. The title was leaked before the reveal event at E3 but my own imagination could not apprehend it would ever be something real. The idea bringing these two vastly different games together to make one is something way too crazy for myself to believe. Seriously nuts and even now playing it, I'll get this raging hard question about the sanity of the persons' within its existence for being.

Having some Trials editor attempts before. Seeing the pieces used in TOTBD is very inspiring. Can almost see how the levels would come together but way more sophisticated and grander than my understanding. This seems such a grand endeavor for RedLynx and I applaud you all at RedLynx for your hard work and putting yourself out there. Bringing me to the reason as to why I've decided to come here making this post to you. I believe this game was made with lots of hard work and I'm grateful, thank you.

I like that it's something unique. Being something different and stepping out of the comfort zone probably wasn't easy. I commend your efforts. You're awesome for giving this experience to everyone especially want to thank you because of this also. I find solace and fun in this game. Reason to play this game will differ for many. Tastes to like or not to like also. You've made something people out there will really have a love for.

*Was going to post this in the reaction w/ TOTBD thread but it's locked. Brought it here because the question of your sanity with its development remain.
    Cheers

There is a small gameplay related thing I've been wondering about since starting the first track;

For every mission in the game, there's a time limit. While I understand this time limit was implemented to calculate the score at the end of the track, I do wonder why the rating system isn't more similar to the other Trials games? No (directly visible) time limit, just complete the track as fast as you can. Then, based on your time and the amount of faults you've made, you get your score. Since your score is calculated by how much time you have left at the end of the track, it's pretty obvious the time you needed to complete the track is involved in the process as well. Why is it not the other way around, so it would be more like Trials HD, Evolution and Fusion?
    Plus, I personally was pretty close to failng a handful of missions because I nearly ran out of time. I would've liked it more if there was no visible time limit on the track, but rather an 'invisible' one (like in Trials Fusion, there's a 30 minute limit and you get notified after 15 minutes for the first time).

I'm sure this was a design choice made for some reason, so I'd appreciate it if a dev could explain it to me

Originally Posted by Premium Maniak Go to original post
    How do I know how many deaths I can have or in what time I have to finish track to still get mark A?
    Why is there no option for ghosts or clasic coop?
    Will there be later added track editor?
    Hi. I'm one of the game designers on the project, so I can answer these for you

Whenever you finish a track, in the results screen you can see how many points you need for the next grade. There's no particular death requirements. You get points depending on time left, and each death is a penalty. So being a bit slower but with less deaths can get you the same grade as quicker but with more deaths (the fastest with least deaths is still what'll get you maximum grade of course).

There are ghosts in the game They are not, however, visible on first playthrough of a track.

No track editor for Trials of the Blood Dragon. Fusion is still a thing, and we didn't want to divide builder community between games.

@RidingMower, thank you

@Toamss, it's actually an interesting question, because the design of the scoring system has went through several big iterations.

In general, though, we wanted levels to feel more intense, and countdown timer instead of a more lenient-feeling 0-upwards timer helps with that.

xzamplez's Avatar Senior Member
    If your intention is to widen the audience of Trials with this game, is it not indicative of the content we will see in the next installment of Trials?

You will most likely say that you will have features in the game that appeal to both types of audiences, but that has yet to have been done without sacrificing features for the fans of traditional Trials. The fans that made Redlynx what it is.

WebScud's Avatar Junior Member
    Are there any plans to add tutorials? This is my first Trials game and I can't figure out the physics of the bike. I'm stuck very start of the third level.

En0-'s Avatar Trials Developer
    Hello,

Originally Posted by xzamplez Go to original post
    If your intention is to widen the audience of Trials with this game, is it not indicative of the content we will see in the next installment of Trials?

You will most likely say that you will have features in the game that appeal to both types of audiences, but that has yet to have been done without sacrificing features for the fans of traditional Trials. The fans that made Redlynx what it is.
    This has been answered in another thread and this game has to be taken as what it is: a spin off. So, no, it's not representative of where the next installments are going.

Cheers,

En0-'s Avatar Trials Developer
    Hello WebScud,

Originally Posted by WebScud Go to original post
    Are there any plans to add tutorials? This is my first Trials game and I can't figure out the physics of the bike. I'm stuck very start of the third level.
    When we did the playtests during development to check the difficulty. We haven't identified this part as a problem.

Could you confirm we're talking about this level?
    https://youtu.be/OvH28rh5Q4Y?t=7m49s

If yes, I think the video shows quite well what to do. Does it help?

Best Regards,

Eno