Improving the player experience - update on cheating

Player experience is and always will be at the center of everything we do and we are constantly looking at ways to improve it. Cheating has been a source of frustration for our community as some individuals have been gaining an unfair advantage in the game by using third-party software at the expense of our loyal players. In order to address this situation, last month we announced a series of new measures that have since brought significant results but also new learnings.

We recently shed some light on our online architecture in a special Podcast. While some of the game decisions are made client-side, there are constant server checks in place. This ensures that even in the situation where a player would be able to modify his client data, the servers can detect it. The array of these checks has constantly improved since the launch of the game which allowed us to catch a great amount of cheaters. Of course, this doesn’t mean that cheating is a thing of the past and we stand ready to react quickly, should new cheats be developed.

As a direct result of this improved cheat detection, last month we announced “the biggest wave of suspensions and bans to date”. This marked the beginning of an intensive campaign during which actions were taken against a total of over 30,000 accounts, including 3,800 permanent bans. This led to a significantly improved experience, particularly in the Dark Zone.

Following this campaign of suspensions and bans, it also became clear that while huge progress has been made in terms of cheat detection, our 14 days suspension on first offense policy has not been dissuasive enough. Judging from your feedback, and based on what we witnessed when cheaters came back to the game, we have now decided to push our policy one step further: we will now start applying permanent bans on first offense when players are caught using cheat engines and we will communicate clearly when new ban waves are taking place.

We are committed to constantly improve your experience in the game, and this begins with ensuring a positive and fair environment free of noxious players willingly violating the rules. We will take all steps necessary to track down cheaters and make sure they cannot spoil your enjoyment of the game.

See you in game!

The Division Team
     2 people found this helpful

Nice. What about the list with exploits? Where is it?

Let me start by saying I ABSOLUTELY HATE HACKERS IN THIS AND OTHER GAMES!!! They have ruined my enjoyment of the Darkzone in The Division on so many occasions I can't recall!

So whilst I agree with the new policy I have some MAJOR concerns!

I personally know of ONE (with maybe a second player) that have been banned who CATEGORICALLY does not cheat. As far as we can ascertain his ban has come as a result of one of the following:

1) Been in a group with a hacker (Guilt by Association)

Problem A) This is game has its own Matchmaking System that pairs you with players you don't know and unless a random player is using hacks that you can actually see (eg Teleporting) its almost impossible to tell. Consequently the "Guilt by Association" is grossly unfair.

2) False Positive - Fallen through world at some point and has falsely reported as teleporting.

Problem B) There are many points in the world where this occurs. I don't believe that you can tell the difference between a bug in game, that you allowed to make it into a released game, and a Teleport hack (short of watching a replay of the footage)

3) False Positive - Too many headshots / too many headshots occuring in a short amount of time

Problem C) This infers Massive/Ubi are using some game analytics. These have been proven many times over to report false positives and ergo are in themselves unreliable. Plus in the case of my buddy (online only and probably +100hrs played with in The Division) he is simply amazing with a Marksman Rifle and Scope.

4) Ban Appeals Panel/Committee

Problem D) This only came up following my friends discussion on Live Chat with a Support Agent (he was also telling us what was happening in Team Speak @ the same time). They upheld his ban..... I can't help but wonder if this "Panel" even exists.... and is perhaps a way for the Support Agent to get rid of annoyed players with as little stress as possible.

Does such a committee/panel exist and if so does it ACTUALLY review the evidence fully OR is it just in fact a CURSORY look at the case?

Final Point
    Even in the worst countries in the world they have a justice system that allows you to "know the charges which you stand accused of" and "the day/date on which they occured". The system/process as it currently stands fails to deliver even the most basic of this information.

I can't help but feel that you are opening up the possibility of some VERY LARGE Lawsuits regarding your overall implementation. I know in the UK that your "ToS" do not supercede the laws of the land and in the USA class action lawsuits have been started for less........

could we really get ban unknowingly teaming with a hacker? how could we know for sure something must be done here

Hi,

To dispel some rumors that have been flying around, I'll answer some questions regarding bans:

1) Being banned by being in a group with a cheater: Doesn't happen. The system only checks individual accounts and doesn't account for things that happen in group. I.e. if cheats aren't detected on your account, you won't get banned by being in a group with a cheater.

2) Falling through the world: Does not show up in the system as a speed/teleport hack, so no, you will not get banned for this.

3) Too many headshots during a short amount of time: If you are a remarkable aim, you still will not get flagged as a cheater for too many headshots in a timeframe.

It's important to note that our system will only flag things that just aren't possible. Additionally people don't get banned for a single instance of what could constitute cheating, the only people getting banned are so because cheats have been detected repeatedly and regularly.

4) Players requesting for appeals that are reasonable get reviewed again by our developers. There have been overturned bans, but they are pretty rare as most times the team finds that cheats have in fact been used, even upon closer inspection.

We are of course continuously optimizing our tools to constantly adapt and detect the latest cheat methods, while also making sure to limit the risks of false positives.
     3 people found this helpful

Originally Posted by Natchai_Ubisoft Go to original post
    Judging from your feedback, and based on what we witnessed when cheaters came back to the game, we have now decided to push our policy one step further: we will now start applying permanent bans on first offense when players are caught using cheat engines and we will communicate clearly when new ban waves are taking place.
    AMEN to that! Better late than never. Hackers should't be allowed to be part of any multiplayer video game community.

Lately I expierience alot of lag could it be due to all the new changes and inplementations?

That is total trash.

Originally Posted by Natchai_Ubisoft Go to original post
    Hi,

To dispel some rumors that have been flying around, I'll answer some questions regarding bans:

1) Being banned by being in a group with a cheater: Doesn't happen. The system only checks individual accounts and doesn't account for things that happen in group. I.e. if cheats aren't detected on your account, you won't get banned by being in a group with a cheater.

2) Falling through the world: Does not show up in the system as a speed/teleport hack, so no, you will not get banned for this.

3) Too many headshots during a short amount of time: If you are a remarkable aim, you still will not get flagged as a cheater for too many headshots in a timeframe.

It's important to note that our system will only flag things that just aren't possible. Additionally people don't get banned for a single instance of what could constitute cheating, the only people getting banned are so because cheats have been detected repeatedly and regularly.

4) Players requesting for appeals that are reasonable get reviewed again by our developers. There have been overturned bans, but they are pretty rare as most times the team finds that cheats have in fact been used, even upon closer inspection.

We are of course continuously optimizing our tools to constantly adapt and detect the latest cheat methods, while also making sure to limit the risks of false positives.
    I read this statement you made and its clearly a broken system you have operating. I never cheated once in this game, i fell through the map about 5 days ago on the way to a HVT and the day after i am banned for 14 days. So explain to me why im banned for playing with a friend legit gaming not hacking/modding/cheating in anyway, not being abusive to other players because we only chat via skype so explain why im banned? I was banned because your system is broken, you only have to check my account to see i have nothing in my gear or weapons to show im hacking, etc. My rogue kills are at 23, my game time is over 350 hours yet you think im gonna cheat and risk losing over £60 worth of game (yes i was stupid and bought a season pass) to gain some gear set items or to better others in the DZ. I think you need to reveiw your anti cheat system and actually provide evidence to suppor the bans not the same dribble you keep feeding me "code of conduct" crap. You have no proof to backup the ban you put over to me and i highly doubt youll remove my ban. I did request a full refund for the game and season pass lol since then Ubisoft have blanked me totally.

Originally Posted by ScarphaceUK Go to original post
    I read this statement you made and its clearly a broken system you have operating. I never cheated once in this game, i fell through the map about 5 days ago on the way to a HVT and the day after i am banned for 14 days. So explain to me why im banned for playing with a friend legit gaming not hacking/modding/cheating in anyway, not being abusive to other players because we only chat via skype so explain why im banned? I was banned because your system is broken, you only have to check my account to see i have nothing in my gear or weapons to show im hacking, etc. My rogue kills are at 23, my game time is over 350 hours yet you think im gonna cheat and risk losing over £60 worth of game (yes i was stupid and bought a season pass) to gain some gear set items or to better others in the DZ. I think you need to reveiw your anti cheat system and actually provide evidence to suppor the bans not the same dribble you keep feeding me "code of conduct" crap. You have no proof to backup the ban you put over to me and i highly doubt youll remove my ban. I did request a full refund for the game and season pass lol since then Ubisoft have blanked me totally.
    Well... DID you file an appeal?? If so... the ONLY thing you can do is wait... and see what the outcome is... or by all means, continue to scream your innocence here on the forums and how you've wrongfully been banned... Oh yeah, aren't you the one that's going to sue them as well?? How's that coming by the way??

Quote Originally Posted by Natchai_Ubisoft View Post
    Judging from your feedback, and based on what we witnessed when cheaters came back to the game, we have now decided to push our policy one step further: we will now start applying permanent bans on first offense when players are caught using cheat engines and we will communicate clearly when new ban waves are taking place.

HUGE THANKS !!!

Page 1 of 11 123 ... Last ►►