Is it worth the extra money?

I've been looking into getting a new guitar for my collection. The model I have my eye on is the Tak Matsumoto custom. The Epiphone version runs about $800 and the Les Paul version can run up to 5K. I'm no masterclass musician. I mainly play for fun. 800 bucks is nothing to scoff at, but I want to make sure I'm getting the best for my money. If you had to pick one, which do you think the best value is?

bb_hood99's Avatar Member
    Well, Gibson guitars are always expensive and I wouldnt call them "good deals" per se because they are generally overpriced. $5000 on a new guitar is alot of money, however you would be getting a really nice guitar.
    However 800$ on a chinese made epiphone? Just dont... 800$ for a chinese guitar is too much. Dosent matter how nice it is, realistically its a 200-400$ guitar. You can probably find one used for around 300$ if you wait. Paying alot for a gibson is one thing, but paying alot for a chinese epiphone is not a good idea. At least thats my advice.

The Epi itself uses burstbuckers, that alone is over $200. Since they were limited run Japan only instruments the lowest I usually see them go for is about 700.

Originally Posted by nefariousnero Go to original post
    The Epi itself uses burstbuckers, that alone is over $200. Since they were limited run Japan only instruments the lowest I usually see them go for is about 700.
    Its still a chinese made guitar though. Its the type of guitar you can get used for around 300$.

BazzTard61's Avatar Banned
    I don't agree. Epiphones are great instruments and great value,especially compared to Gibsons.

Play one and judge it on it's build quality and playability not some xenophobic notion that everything made in China is inferior. USA made costs $5000 and is not worth it.

Originally Posted by BazzTard61 Go to original post
    I don't agree. Epiphones are great instruments and great value,especially compared to Gibsons.

Play one and judge it on it's build quality and playability not some xenophobic notion that everything made in China is inferior. USA made costs $5000 and is not worth it.
    It doesnt matter how nice it is or how 'good' of a value you may think.. chinese guitars are 2-400$ guitars. 800$ for a chinese guitar is way too much.

Originally Posted by bb_hood99 Go to original post
    It doesnt matter how nice it is or how 'good' of a value you may think.. chinese guitars are 2-400$ guitars. 800$ for a chinese guitar is way too much.
    Good luck with that. Used ones all seem to go for well over $500 except for one beat up one on Ebay that is listed for 426.67. Guitars, anything really, are worth what people will pay for it. Here is one on the cheaper side on Reverb: https://reverb.com/item/1921117-epip...c-custom-ebony

Originally Posted by bb_hood99 Go to original post
    This is incredibly elitist and narrow-minded. But to each his own I guess..

Originally Posted by nefariousnero Go to original post
    I've been looking into getting a new guitar for my collection. The model I have my eye on is the Tak Matsumoto custom. The Epiphone version runs about $800 and the Les Paul version can run up to 5K. I'm no masterclass musician. I mainly play for fun. 800 bucks is nothing to scoff at, but I want to make sure I'm getting the best for my money. If you had to pick one, which do you think the best value is?
    So back to the actual question I'm not sure how to answer. If you just want a good guitar to play RS with and jam on at home I'm sure the Epi will do fine. Get a good setup and it will probably be great. If you just want "the best" or are a collector, or a huge Tak fan then you might only be happy with "the best." It's really more about what you want.

Originally Posted by rsratnip Go to original post
    This is incredibly elitist and narrow-minded. But to each his own I guess..
    No, its not. Guitars are worth what they are worth, and chinese guitars are 2-400$ guitars. It doesnt matter what ebay says, stuff is always cheaper when you buy used locally. Ebay BIN prices are inflated, any moron knows that. It doesnt matter how awesome you think something is either. Chinese guitars are not worth 800$ and definitly not good deals at this price.

That beat up one on ebay is not 'beaten' up at all. After you take out shipping and ebay fees the seller is basically getting 350$ for it. Same thing with the one on reverb. After fees and shipping from japan its a 300-400$ guitar.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... Last ►►