🛈 Announcement
Greetings! Far Cry forums are now archived and accessible in read-only mode, please go to the new platform to discuss the game.
    I'll be getting a Radeon 9600XT or 9800Pro. Right now I have a motherboard which only supports 4X. I don't have the budget to get an Audigy 2 ZS, so I'm thinking about spend my leftover cash on a motherboard (thinking the 8X would show performance increase). Not to mention the Sound Blaster LIVE level of sound quality it will give. So, is the motherboard worth spending on?

I'll be getting a Radeon 9600XT or 9800Pro. Right now I have a motherboard which only supports 4X. I don't have the budget to get an Audigy 2 ZS, so I'm thinking about spend my leftover cash on a motherboard (thinking the 8X would show performance increase). Not to mention the Sound Blaster LIVE level of sound quality it will give. So, is the motherboard worth spending on?

A new motherboard is always a great ideal.

but it's not likely to give you any performance jump because of the AGP speed. In fact, there is almost no difference in 4x and 8x. Which is why the PCI-e stuff offers so little (at least on paper)

http://www20.tomshardware.com/graphi...0/pcie-02.html.

OBTW, you know a search on this board would have shown you 1 or 2 threads on this already.

No cool points for you today

Dale

__________________________________________________ __________

Have your voted ?

[1]Rate the Forums Tech Support

[2]Why did you buy this game ? SP or MP ?

[3]Which Video Card Do You Own ?

I constantly got "Your query matched too many posts" even after narrowing my search topic. :P The ones i got from a search engine was like a year old. Thought Farcry would make use of the 8X AGP.

So, are you saying there will be no noticeable difference upgrading from a brookdale to a prescott motherboard? All i'll be getting is surround sound out of the upgrade?

hmm, did you narrow you search to look only in the Far Cry forums ?

I can't say that it will make no differenc, a newer motherboard may have some tweaks and enhancements to the AGP and bridges that might make things a little better than the one before.

But based on what I see going from an Intel 850EMV2 which is a 4x AGP to the Intel D875PBZ which has an 8X agp, there was almost no difference in performance (less than 5 fps). Seeing that I did a format re-install and memory upgrade, it's hard to narrow it down to just the AGP making a difference. Based on Tomshardware's numbers, the difference will be minor if any. You will not get twice the performance you're getting now if that was what you were hoping.

You might look at your system now and make sure you have the latest chipset drivers and such to see if that helps.

Oh, no. I'm not hoping to get a double performance increase out of the mobo upgrade. However, I was expecting to see a noticeable one. From reading "motherboard round-up" comparison articles from sites like Tomshardware, I've seen them making comments about how this manufacturer, or that chipset pulls ahead of another counterpart. So then I thought brookdale and prescott is not even within the same level of technological generation, thus will have an even larger performance increase. Maybe I'm wrong.

Considering your point, I think it be best not to make the upgrade. Probably will spend the money on extra memory. Heck, I might just get a soundblaster live! which costs about the same as the motherboard here.

If you do get a performance boost, it'll be becuase of a better/faster chipset not the AGP 8x interface... What board do you have now?

-ABIT NF7-S (nForce2)
    -Mobile Barton 2600+@2.3GHz
    -Radeon 9800 Pro @ 420/380
    -2x512MB Corsair XMS @ 2-2-2-11
    -Audigy2 Platinum

"Intel Corporation 82845MP Brookdale" is displayed in the Model Value using Sandra 2004.
    I'm guessing, it doesn't have a surround sound capability. Getting that capability from the onboard sound of a new mobo would be nice, but if there's no "noticeable" performance increase, it just ain't worth the money IMO.

So, overall (I'm not just talking about the AGP 8X anymore), will there be a nice boost in performance?

If you are not upgrading the CPU or memory, hardly any (if any) increase at all. If you are upgrading CPu and Memory, it would be hard to know where the performance increase came from