15 Tips to Optimize your Tracks

I put together a list of track building optimization tips that I got from the developers at RedLynx. They are listed below, and I made a video to explain how to do everything.

Video Time Codes
    Tip #1 - 00:40 - PS4, objects and logic; Xbox One, effects
    Tip #2 - 01:13 - Statics Overlay
    Tip #3 - 01:40 - Max number of objects in view
    Tip #4 - 02:25 - Screen tearing and lag
    Tip #5 - 04:00 - Effects
    Tip #6 - 07:11 - Interval Triggers and Curve Data Sources
    Tip #7 - 11:09 - Glue Groups
    Tip #8 - 12:54 - View Distances
    Tip #9 - 14:18 - Physics Bubble size
    Tip #10 - 15:26 - Physics Type, Decoration Only
    Tip #11 - 19:56 - Shadow Positions
    Tip #12 - 21:03 - Vectors and Data Sources
    Tip #13 - 22:44 - Visibility
    Tip #14 - 23:39 - Lights
    Tip #15 - 27:15 - Area Condition

Optimization Tips
    1. In general, PS4 can handle more objects and logic. Xbox One can handle more effects.

2. Use the Statistics overlay as much as possible when doing a test run. The closer any of the bars get to red, the worse your track can perform, especially on other formats.

3. Try to ensure at all times that your maximum number of objects in view does not exceed 2000.

4. If you get screen tearing or slight lag on your system, you can pretty much guarantee that it will perform worse on another format.

5. Excessive use of effects, especially overlapping one another can cause framerate issues.

6. Multiple Interval Triggers and Curve Data Sources can cause lag if there are too many active at once. Enable any animation logic when it is needed rather than at the start of your track. Disable all logic once it is out of camera view or is not seen again.

7. Multiple or complex glue groups can cause a respawn delay on any system.

8. Reduce the view distances and shadow distances if your track allows. Reducing shadow distance can sometimes help a lot without even reducing visual quality.

9. Don’t increase the physics bubble size!

10. Make water planes decoration only unless the player hits them.

11. Lots of shadows near to the driving line can cause lag at times. Alter the sun direction slightly or move objects away. Complex trees can make this issue worse.

12. Vectors and data sources changing the properties of many objects can cause heavy lag.

13. Making many objects become visible or invisible at once can cause a freeze.

14. Turn lights on and off as needed. Glue lights together and place the pivot point on the driveline to help ensure they stay on.

15. Use Area Condition to decrease the view distances whenever possible. This may help when using complex animations in smaller areas of a track.

Originally Posted by SwampBalls Go to original post
    I put together a list of track building optimization tips that I got from the developers at RedLynx. They are listed below, and I made a video to explain how to do everything.

Video Time Codes
    Tip #1 - 00:40 - PS4, objects and logic; Xbox One, effects
    Tip # - 01:40 - Max number of objects in view
    Tip #4 - 02:25 - Screen tearing and lag
    Tip #5 - 02 - 01:13 - Statics Overlay
    Tip #34:00 - Effects
    Tip #6 - 07:11 - Interval Triggers and Curve Data Sources
    Tip #7 - 11:09 - Glue Groups
    Tip #8 - 12:54 - View Distances
    Tip #9 - 14:18 - Physics Bubble size
    Tip #10 - 15:26 - Physics Type, Decoration Only
    Tip #11 - 19:56 - Shadow Positions
    Tip #12 - 21:03 - Vectors and Data Sources
    Tip #13 - 22:44 - Visibility
    Tip #14 - 23:39 - Lights
    Tip #15 - 27:15 - Area Condition

Optimization Tips

10. Make water planes decoration only unless the player hits them.
    Nice video, didn't know that about shadowing on the drive line itself.
    One thing though, you said in the video it's better to turn everything deco only if you don't come in contact with it. I think there was a thread on the old forum about this, but I think it was mentioned there that it only matters if the object is inside the physics bubble. If it's outside the physics bubble it doesn't really matter what physics type its settings are. It doesn't check objects outside the bubble what physics type its settings are.

I'm not 100% sure about this, but the value for 'active objects' in the statistics overlay decreases when decreasing the physics bubble.

Originally Posted by Rishaan Go to original post
    Nice video, didn't know that about shadowing on the drive line itself.
    One thing though, you said in the video it's better to turn everything deco only if you don't come in contact with it. I think there was a thread on the old forum about this, but I think it was mentioned there that it only matters if the object is inside the physics bubble. If it's outside the physics bubble it doesn't really matter what physics type its settings are. It doesn't check objects outside the bubble what physics type its settings are.

I'm not 100% sure about this, but the value for 'active objects' in the statistics overlay decreases when decreasing the physics bubble.
    You're right, I do remember an Evo video when Shogun talked about that. I tend to overdo things once in a while. :-)