toymachinesh's Avatar Senior Member
    Between The Buried and Me.

I''m not into the vocals either...

flynlion's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by toymachinesh Go to original post
    They are 100% Progressive rock, so explain why they aren't

http://www.metalsucks.net/2010/07/22...3-queensryche/
    I've never been much of a metalhead, and to me these tunes sound way more metal than they do progressive rock. I'd call it "slightly proggy hair metal" for lack of a better term. But I still might do as Working Man suggests and dig into their catalog a bit, maybe find something a bit less hairy

toymachinesh's Avatar Senior Member
    I'm no Queensryche expert but Eyes of A Stranger is definitely a Prog Metal song to me

The_Working_Man's Avatar Senior Member
    QR's hair has always been big, so there is that. But what makes the "hair" label so frustrating to me is that, aside from New Wave bands, nearly all musicians have long/big hair! That's not what makes a "hair" band.

Complex arrangements and time signatures/changes are also a prog trademark. I'm no music expert either, but i don't hear a lot of that in the QR songs i know. "Thinking person's metal".... definitely.

Originally Posted by The_Working_Man Go to original post
    QR's hair has always been big, so there is that. But what makes the "hair" label so frustrating to me is that, aside from New Wave bands, nearly all musicians have long/big hair! That's not what makes a "hair" band.

Complex arrangements and time signatures/changes are also a prog trademark. I'm no music expert either, but i don't hear a lot of that in the QR songs i know. "Thinking person's metal".... definitely.
    Agree, those complex arrangements and time sig changes are a big part of what I love in prog rock I don't hear much of that in QR either (though I'm willing to look around a bit more). I think it's mostly the vocals that kinda put me off and remind me of hair metal, at least in these 3 tunes.

Not every band has "hair"

thequickmind's Avatar Senior Member
    Operation: Mindcrime is one of the classic progressive metal concept albums. Their style has evolved and changed over time, but they are definitely considered a progressive band.

Originally Posted by thequickmind Go to original post
    Operation: Mindcrime is one of the classic progressive metal concept albums. Their style has evolved and changed over time, but they are definitely considered a progressive band.
    Thanks, that's one album I'll have to check out Hopefully it's more prog than metal.

rcole_sooner's Avatar Moderator
    Mindcrime is not progressive. It is not proggy at all. I don't like progressive metal (not sure what it is, but I don't like it ) and I like Operation Mindcrime. One of my favorite albums of all times.

TuftyMcTavish's Avatar Member
    Ha! Prog Rock Metal Hair or not, Operation: Mindcrime is one of my absolute favourite albums of all time and I am just loving blasting this out of my speakers right now. The neighbours probably hate me already. I'm going to destroy the chair I play guitar in by bouncing my left foot to the beat of the music, crooning away horribly, all while mangling these songs on my guitar. Good times are being had.

Definitely my favourite DLC release of the year so far, replacing Megadeth.

I recently swapped over to playing lead guitar after a fair while chugging away at rhythm. I wasn't good enough to do much with Silent Lucidity before, but I seem to have levelled up a bit since then. keep meaning to try the rhythm track on these but I always forget. The bass just grooves along and sounds really sweet too. I'm also tempted to give that a go, but TBH my bass is a bit cheap and nasty (I was curious) and I've not put much effort into that instrument yet.

Gosh, I have so many great songs in my personalised Rocksmith DLC library I never know what to learn next. I get so far in one song and then have a go in another, and before long I've forgotten what I was learning. Not a bad problem to have.