I would like to ask whether Pacific Fighters will also offer the chance to fly the Brewster Buffalos, Glenn Martin bombers and Do- 24 and Catalina flying boats from the Dutch Air Force (ML-KNIL) and Naval Air Arm (MLD), based in the Dutch East Indies (Java, Borneo, Sumatra and so on). And whether there will be maps included of this area. It would make the game even more interesting, since it is a little known theatre of war were a lot happened. Please don't forget the Dutch!!! Not only the Japanese, British and Americans fought and died in the Pacific!!!

I would like to ask whether Pacific Fighters will also offer the chance to fly the Brewster Buffalos, Glenn Martin bombers and Do- 24 and Catalina flying boats from the Dutch Air Force (ML-KNIL) and Naval Air Arm (MLD), based in the Dutch East Indies (Java, Borneo, Sumatra and so on). And whether there will be maps included of this area. It would make the game even more interesting, since it is a little known theatre of war were a lot happened. Please don't forget the Dutch!!! Not only the Japanese, British and Americans fought and died in the Pacific!!!

Well the P-36 is going to be flyable AFAIK so thats an aircraft which the Dutch flew in the Pacific.
    Hopefully we'll see more aircraft the Dutch used there.
    Also you may want to try and post this on the Pacific Fighters forum to get more responses.

Assuming I am not yet senile, I remember seeing Brewsters in Pacific paint schemes in some of the screenshots from E3.

It has also been discussed before on the PF forum. So, I am pretty sure you are going to get your wish; in spaes.

All the best, Don

I hope so. Nothing will make me happier than some attention paid to the Dutch defence of the Dutch Indies and Singapore. That is one of the bad things of being a small country, nobody is paying attention to you. And my countrymen did what they could with the little they had.

[This message was edited by jacko38 on Sun May 30 2004 at 05:30 AM.]

Well I'm from the USA, and I'm paying attention ...that's what 'Forgotten Battles' is all about...I visited your wonderful nation , many years ago, when I was in the United States Navy...beautiful country, beautiful people.

If you do not already have it, you might want to read "Buffalos Over Singapore'. It includes some information on the Dutch Brewsters in this theater of operations. You can find it here (long link, so you'll have to copy and paste into your browser, rather than klicking on the link):

http://www.historicaviation.com/hist...DbIhKz2Mv4yYJI(0CppkxPt)?ID=7099

I also found an excellent Dutch paint scheme/custom skin for IL2 FB for the Buffalo, which I will be glad to send you. I'll even put your name on the side of the canopy if you like. Just let me know what you would like, and an address to send it to, and I will be glad to do it for you.

All the best, Don

Very decent of you, Don, thank you. Yes, I would like to have that Buffalo skin. No need to get my name on it though, I'm a bit of a detail freak and would like to keep it as historically accurate as possible. My e-mail adres is j.limpt@planet.nl

Will be fun to try this new skin against the Japanese Zero. Thanks again for your generous offer.

The book you recommend looks very interesting indeed. My source for the details of the air war over the Dutch Indies are two big volumes by P.C.Boer, which cover up all operations of ML-KNIL from Singapore to the Moluccans. Only available in Dutch, I'm afraid, but very complete.

Nogmaals dank,

Jack

GerritJ9's Avatar Senior Member
    Those two Dutch books actually have summaries in English and Indonesian. They were published in the late 1980s so may no longer be available, but for those willing to try to order them, they are:
    1) De Luchtstrijd rond Borneo, ISBN 90 269 4253 2.
    2) De Luchtstrijd om Indië, ISBN 90 269 4160 9.
    Author of both books is P.C. Boer, publisher is Van Holkema en Warendorf.
    I have ordered Buffaloes over Singapore and can't wait!!!!!!!......... but I have to.

I hope you checked the price at Amazon.com too, Gerrit, it is usually lower than at other book sites.

I am modeling the CW-21B both cockpit and external, however I am not sure if Java will be included in PF, making the plane pretty much homeless.