I was watching the old Wildcat movie and noticed that sparks flew up from the contact of the hok and deck!

I was watching the old Wildcat movie and noticed that sparks flew up from the contact of the hok and deck!

I see them too now that you found them.

Hmmm lets see, metal hook + wooden deck = sparks?

Seem fanciful but its ok with me. Would make sense on the Illustrious Carrier.

heywooood's Avatar Senior Member
    decking is bolted down... there might be sparks.

"the real slim shady"

It's Wood from the great Steel Tree of Northern California, the only ones that didnt burn down.
    They worked a lot better than the alluminum trees found in florida

Actionhank
    ~Aaron White

IIRC, even the wooden decks on the US carriers had metal fittings running across them to provide drainage and tie-down cleats. Another neat attention to detail item from the team.

Blotto

"Speed is life." - Anon
    "Sight is life. Speed is merely groovy." - "Junior"

Gentlemen, Gentlemen its OK its no big deal.

Now if there were sparks and ricochets when you shoot up a delta wood plane (or a Mossie) then I would be upset.

Seriosusly, I don't think of myself as much of a whiner. (In fact I've been mulling over a NO WHINING contract that I was going to post, that we could all sign. Kind of like DARE.)

If I could make something better I would. PF is great. I LOVE it. I'm gonna get all misty unless I stop.

There are tie-down rails spaced evenly with a certain amount of wood planks between them running port and starboard. Unless you're seeing constant "sparkage", you could get a good spark or two as the hook engages the arresting gear at touch down.

BSS_Vidar
    Blacksheep 1

Yellonet's Avatar Senior Member
    Every eighth "plank" is made of metal and has holes so that could be used to mount the straps that the crews tied down the planes with.

Edit: Didn't read BSS_Vidar's post

BfHeFwMe's Avatar Banned
    Would spark sliding on the cable also, unless every landing is straight and perfectly centered on it.