I'm mostly familiar with the Russian family of bombs, from the FAB-250 to the FAB-100 and whatnot, but there are several stores (many of them featured on the Il-2 itself) that I'm not familiar with.

First off what is the M-13?

Also, what is the PTAB 2.5 (It appears to be some type of small fragmentation bomb.....perhaps an early attempt at an anti-personnel cluster bomb?)

What is the cassette?

Also I don't know what the difference is betwee the RS-82 and BRS-82 as well as the RS-132 and BRS-132.

Finally what is the AO-10....some type of very small bomb?

I'm mostly familiar with the Russian family of bombs, from the FAB-250 to the FAB-100 and whatnot, but there are several stores (many of them featured on the Il-2 itself) that I'm not familiar with.

First off what is the M-13?

Also, what is the PTAB 2.5 (It appears to be some type of small fragmentation bomb.....perhaps an early attempt at an anti-personnel cluster bomb?)

What is the cassette?

Also I don't know what the difference is betwee the RS-82 and BRS-82 as well as the RS-132 and BRS-132.

Finally what is the AO-10....some type of very small bomb?

Korolov's Avatar Senior Member
    M-13 - napalm rockets.

PTAB 2.5 - Anti-tank bomblet (loaded into cassettes and dropped over the tops of tanks.)

Cassette - a box like assembly that is used to load small bomblets into.

RS-82 & 132 - Regular HE rockets, 132 being more powerful.

BRS-82 & 132 - Penetration/AT rockets.

AO-10 - 10kg bomblet.

The AJ cassette uses phosphorous bomblets.

That sounds more like anti personel to me what good is phoshorous on a tank ?

Korolov's Avatar Senior Member
    AJ-2 is a anti-structure/light vehicle weapon - not used on armor.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tHeBaLrOgRoCkS:
    That sounds more like anti personel to me what good is phoshorous on a tank ?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tanks of that era were vulnerable to molotovcocktails and phosphorous, especially when it ran into the engine- or crewcompartment.

But if they really used phosphorous on tanks? That's a good question?

rgds

Hmmm now that I think about it all weapons are anti personel really aint they. Just that one sounded more suited to the task

Thanks for the info guys.

I'm also wondering about the VPR-250...or something like that.

It's like to huge tubes and when you hit the pickle button this stuff comes out the back kinda looking like bomblets and they create huge flames.