DLC for all platforms

I have Rocksmith 2014 on PS4 and PC. Love to play,
    I am disabled, and have bought number of songs for my PS4. And they say that i cannot transfer any songs to my PC,
    I would have to purchase them again for my PC.
    To me it's like buying a car with no wheels, STUPID!
    Now tell me if I am wrong, once you buy something , you have the right as you wish.
    All of them are RIPPING folks off, and they know it. IT"S JUST GREED!
    All games made should be played on any platform .
    All these company's make billions each year.
    They are going to price them self''s out of a job.
    It's like ever thing else, only people can put a stop to high prices and company's like this ripping folks off.
    Looks like they would think about their customer's, not their greed!
    I for one will not buy anymore songs from any of them.
    Everyone that plays, should write them and do the same!
    DGC

rcole_sooner's Avatar Moderator
    You are wrong.

You purchased a right to use the game/songs on a specified device (other limitations apply too), you do not own the game or the songs.

This applies to any game and DLC out there (along with many other products) not just this game and DLC. Really read the licensing agreement.

Dan, use to use the analogy of buy a refillable drink at McDonalds, you would not be able to refill it across the street at Taco Bell. It is not a perfect analogy, but close enough.

The free drink refill analogy works really well but another thing to consider is that it's just not reasonable or cost effective for the very small minority that bring up this issue every couple of months. You do understand that each platform makes "X" of dollars per every DLC they sell so Ubisoft would have to add "X" x 3 to every song to cover this cost. So a song that currently sells for $2.99 would then increase in price to $4.99 (or more) per song. As a Steam user I have zero interest of buying a console and I absolutely would not pay more because a few self entitled console users want cross platform compatibility. Then you have the issue of purchasing a song on one platform then having each company keep track of what they sell and have to cut checks to the other two platforms so everyone gets paid. That just isn't going to happen.

dm_gsxr's Avatar Senior Member
    How about a music analogy as it's not consumed like soda is.

The Black Keys created Gold On The Ceiling.

They distribute the song to Amazon and Apple to sell.

For technical reasons, the song is only playable on a Kindle if bought from Amazon, or an iDevice if bought from Apple.

It happens you have a Kindle and an iPad and you want to listen to Gold On The Ceiling on both devices.

You're not going to go to The Black Keys and demand they force Apple to give you the song on your iPad just because you have it on your Kindle. And good luck approaching Apple and demanding they give you the song because you have it on your Kindle.

Heck, even the soda thing sort of works. You're not going to go to Coca Cola Corporation to tell them to let you refill your Taco Bell cup at McDonalds.

You should be going to Apple or McDonalds and trying to convince them. In this case, you should be contacting Steam. Convince them that because you have it on the PS4, you should get it for free on Steam. They have the distrobution platform and rights.

Carl

The thing is each store (Sony, Microsoft, Steam) has exclusive rights to sell the software to certain platforms. They won't exchange one product they don't sell for a product they do. It's like you bought a Target house brand box of granola and go to Safeway and ask to exchange if for a Safeway house brand cereal. Maybe they even come from the same factory but they are going to say we don't sell Archer Farms (Target brand) granola. You'll have to exchange that at Target. It may not be ideal but that's the way it is.

the ugly part of capitalism - the analogies are a waste of time and insulting. We all know it's a form of profiteering.

flynlion's Avatar Senior Member
    I want my vinyl copy of Quadrophenia to work in my CD player.

Actually, it sorta does, if I rip it and burn a digital copy. Never mind

Originally Posted by dm_gsxr Go to original post
    How about a music analogy as it's not consumed like soda is.

The Black Keys created Gold On The Ceiling.

They distribute the song to Amazon and Apple to sell.

For technical reasons, the song is only playable on a Kindle if bought from Amazon, or an iDevice if bought from Apple.

It happens you have a Kindle and an iPad and you want to listen to Gold On The Ceiling on both devices.

You're not going to go to The Black Keys and demand they force Apple to give you the song on your iPad just because you have it on your Kindle. And good luck approaching Apple and demanding they give you the song because you have it on your Kindle.

Heck, even the soda thing sort of works. You're not going to go to Coca Cola Corporation to tell them to let you refill your Taco Bell cup at McDonalds.

You should be going to Apple or McDonalds and trying to convince them. In this case, you should be contacting Steam. Convince them that because you have it on the PS4, you should get it for free on Steam. They have the distrobution platform and rights.

Carl
    Steam and Sony have worked together before - Portal 2 on PS3 had a free steam code and cross-platform multiplayer. Or, I could go to the supermarket and buy some 'DRM free' coca cola and pour it into any vessel I choose. These analogies are a bit silly.

Also, iTunes purchases are DRM free these days, so you can play your songs on a Kindle or android device. Autorip from Amazon is also easily transferred to iTunes.So that analogy doesn't really hold up.

Not sure why everyone is jumping on the poor guy just because he suggested his DLC licence should be more consumer friendly. As consoles and PCs become more and more alike, it only makes sense that we start to see the garden walls erode.

If I buy the song on steam, steam gets money from the sale. This helps keep them in business and pays for the network bandwidth to download the song and storage place on Steam's servers. If I could just go to Xbox Live now and download it for free because I bought it on steam, who keeps Xbox lives lights on? It is really simple economic there. In a way the soda analogy is actually perfect. Yeah one song to one person might cost Steam .003 cents in storage and bandwidth space just like that refill might cost Taco Bell .03 cents but after 100,000 or 1,000,000 refills or downloads it starts adding to real money real fast.

I have bought Rocksmith on Xbox One last year, i got all my song from my 360 transferred, As I download on One now, I realized I cant do the opposite: One to 360, if I download all my new pack on my 360 again, am I gonna be able to get them on my One for free or that deal is over?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last ►►