🛈 Announcement
Greetings! The Division forums are now archived and accessible in read-only mode, please go to the new platform to discuss the game

Nothing more than a complicated slot machine.

I decided that I wanted to get the pattern for the First Wave Vector with 204 item level from the Dark Zone, but I was only Dark Zone rank 66 on Monday. Tuesday/Wednesday is my weekend, so I put my nose to the grindstone. Despite a massive population of hackers and glitches (wall variety and impossibly high gear score variety) in the way, I was able to get those nine levels after only two days while playing legit in a den of cheaters.

After the grind, I had the materials to craft 40 Vectors on hand. I made all 40, then broke down all but the best two, which gave me enough parts to make six more. I broke down all but the best two and was able to try one more time. When all was said and done, the Vector I kept was actually only 200 damage from the minimum roll, but it rolled Brutal, Responsive, and Fierce. Not my ideal combination of talents, but the best three I had gotten. And therein lies the problem.

The point of this story is to show that I am not just complaining about not being given something for free. The systems are in conflict with not only each other but also the developer's stated design goals. This game does not reward you for working hard at it. It is nothing more than a complicated slot machine, and when you do win, your prize is being able to pull the arm fractions of a second faster in the future.

The loot drops are RNG. The loot you craft is RNG. Recalibrating is RNG. Whether or not you have the currencies to craft/recalibrate is not only RNG, but you have to choose between one or the other. You either get frustrated that hard work does not always equal a pay off, or you get lucky early and can never actually upgrade no matter what you do.

I was going to write more to explain my points, but I realized I no longer care. This will probably receive responses calling me a crybaby, but this post is not for the players. I want the developers to see why having no end game, no pay out, and no plan is costing them a player who played for 350 hours, spent extra for the season pass, and would have been willing to pay real money for even quality of life improvements like a larger stash is quitting. I loved this game, but between the bugs, the cheaters, and the soul crushing RNG, that love is gone. This game does not care about me having fun and it certainly does not value the time I put into it.

I have had the same experiences; I have crafted the exact same item supposedly with random results and gotten the exact same item exact same stats 7 times in a row. How is that random?

Velisity's Avatar Member
    There are people that have been playing World of Warcraft for 11 years and have been killing a raid boss in the game once a week every week to get a mount to drop for them and they still haven't gotten it. We call it the "Wrath of the RNG God."

You knew that the game was based on RNG when you started playing it. You took a chance over and over again. You'll keep trying because that's what this game is about. RNG and Killing stuff. I feel your pain, I do. Just keep trying, or when you make a gun wait a bit before trying again. If you got everything you ever wanted in the first day of trying the game would get way more boring for you.

Right there with you. No longer motivated to log in...usually only because friends nag me because they need somebody to play and everybody else is playing something else.

Monday was the straw that broke the camels back after I spend over 500k to re-roll a stat to my preferred primary stat and nothing I rolled on the 240 piece actually went over 520. I have 64k credits left. And this is not the first time....and I just can't be bothered to go collect enough cash and do that hamster wheel again.

I crafted over 27 M1A's and none of them are better than my superior one with only 2 talents...rolled 14 AUG's...and none of them came close to my lvl182 MP5. I now need more DivTech.

Can't be bothered.

Originally Posted by Velisity Go to original post
    There are people that have been playing World of Warcraft for 11 years and have been killing a raid boss in the game once a week every week to get a mount to drop for them and they still haven't gotten it. We call it the "Wrath of the RNG God."

You knew that the game was based on RNG when you started playing it. You took a chance over and over again. You'll keep trying because that's what this game is about. RNG and Killing stuff. I feel your pain, I do. Just keep trying, or when you make a gun wait a bit before trying again. If you got everything you ever wanted in the first day of trying the game would get way more boring for you.
    Sorry, but ... are you really comparing one vanity item with the ENTIRE design of Division's loot system ?

Originally Posted by Velisity Go to original post

Nope. Most people will just buy a game that is actually rewarding.

The people that drop the same boss for 11 years for a mount are simply not right in the head. If it gives them enjoyment...more power to them. But "it is simply RNG" is one of the weakest and lamest excuses I have heard to justify what simply amounts to a abysmal reward system.

Yeah, the changes to the crafting have been a major step back. They put in a Diablo level random stat system and don't back it up with the require amount of mats to support the system? Very frustrating. Artificially extending the loot grind != a fun game mechanic. Must be the bean counters at Ubi making Massive do these ridiculous changes.

il DOWN li's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by DarienStegosaur Go to original post
    I decided that I wanted to get the pattern for the First Wave Vector with 204 item level from the Dark Zone, but I was only Dark Zone rank 66 on Monday. Tuesday/Wednesday is my weekend, so I put my nose to the grindstone. Despite a massive population of hackers and glitches (wall variety and impossibly high gear score variety) in the way, I was able to get those nine levels after only two days while playing legit in a den of cheaters.

After the grind, I had the materials to craft 40 Vectors on hand. I made all 40, then broke down all but the best two, which gave me enough parts to make six more. I broke down all but the best two and was able to try one more time. When all was said and done, the Vector I kept was actually only 200 damage from the minimum roll, but it rolled Brutal, Responsive, and Fierce. Not my ideal combination of talents, but the best three I had gotten. And therein lies the problem.

The point of this story is to show that I am not just complaining about not being given something for free. The systems are in conflict with not only each other but also the developer's stated design goals. This game does not reward you for working hard at it. It is nothing more than a complicated slot machine, and when you do win, your prize is being able to pull the arm fractions of a second faster in the future.

The loot drops are RNG. The loot you craft is RNG. Recalibrating is RNG. Whether or not you have the currencies to craft/recalibrate is not only RNG, but you have to choose between one or the other. You either get frustrated that hard work does not always equal a pay off, or you get lucky early and can never actually upgrade no matter what you do.

I was going to write more to explain my points, but I realized I no longer care. This will probably receive responses calling me a crybaby, but this post is not for the players. I want the developers to see why having no end game, no pay out, and no plan is costing them a player who played for 350 hours, spent extra for the season pass, and would have been willing to pay real money for even quality of life improvements like a larger stash is quitting. I loved this game, but between the bugs, the cheaters, and the soul crushing RNG, that love is gone. This game does not care about me having fun and it certainly does not value the time I put into it.
    The game doesn't have systems working against each other. It had systems working against YOU.
    That's the core of rng.

The odds are stacked to the dealer so that you can't consistantly get what you want.

It's done purposefully to extend play time.

The logic is to give yiu something to do. Something to chase.

By some people getting lucky you see what is possible and play even more to try to keep up.

I enjoy the grind. Lots of people don't and it really confused me why they choose these types of games.

Every rng based game has these exact types of complaints on the forums . Some may have more than others but they all have em to some degree.

If after this short a time it's already gotten to you I strongly suggest you look into another game to play. I think you'd enjoy something else a lot more .

Originally Posted by il DOWN li Go to original post
    The game doesn't have systems working against each other. It had systems working against YOU.
    That's the core of rng.

The odds are stacked to the dealer so that you can't consistantly get what you want.

It's done purposefully to extend play time.

The logic is to give yiu something to do. Something to chase.

By some people getting lucky you see what is possible and play even more to try to keep up.

I enjoy the grind. Lots of people don't and it really confused me why they choose these types of games.

Every rng based game has these exact types of complaints on the forums . Some may have more than others but they all have em to some degree.

If after this short a time it's already gotten to you I strongly suggest you look into another game to play. I think you'd enjoy something else a lot more .
    Because most RNG game suffer the same problem and Division suffer the most! It is lack of affix diversity! D3 is much more now as more funny sets and item added after ROS
    The grind should be fun at the beginning but complete 100 times with same method and get same result is BORING !

I agree, far too much RNG in the crafting design. I would rather have higher mat requirements to craft non-RNG gear than the current system, at least that way I would know what I was getting rather than just pissing away my mats.

Recalibration should also be: a) less random and b) able to be done on more than 1 slot. Hell, make it expensive, its not like I have anything to spend normal currency on anyway.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last ►►