Originally Posted by Grumble Volcano Go to original post
    Also TheRiffRepeater has confirmed no The Hellion just like Asylum didn't include Remnants.
    ]
    That's devastating. Absolutely crushing.

I realize the argument will be (is); "We could only licence Electric Eye, The Hellion would have counted as a second song" or something to that effect. My argument would be then to move on to another Priest song that doesn't have a synonymous intro. I can guarantee (well not guarantee, but pretty d@mn sure) that Electric Eye has NEVER ONCE been played on the radio anywhere, that The Hellion wasn't used as the intro, as it's supposed to be.

Uncle Dead1y's Avatar Member
    More Priest? Nice!

Dragonteeth-SE's Avatar Member
    If the leak is true, then..
    No. Thank you, but.. No.

Those songs actually made me put on swedish pop songs instead.
    Not the good kind. Damn you.

Originally Posted by thxphotog Go to original post
    That's devastating. Absolutely crushing.

I realize the argument will be (is); "We could only licence Electric Eye, The Hellion would have counted as a second song" or something to that effect. My argument would be then to move on to another Priest song that doesn't have a synonymous intro. I can guarantee (well not guarantee, but pretty d@mn sure) that Electric Eye has NEVER ONCE been played on the radio anywhere, that The Hellion wasn't used as the intro, as it's supposed to be.
    I really hope they tried to get The Hellion and ran into an actual licensing issue and it's not something dumb like "Well all the Facebook App requests just said 'Electric Eye' not 'The Hellion/Electric Eye" so it's not important to try to get the intro." I want to believe nobody was that out of touch or apathetic and there were somehow licensing issues that weren't a problem for Rock Band or Guitar Hero. I normally try not to complain about DLC, but it really is a bummer to have one of my favorite songs finally show up and have it be gimped like that (and with practically no chance of ever getting the full version.)

DanAmrich's Avatar Rocksmith Dev Team
    I realize the argument will be (is); "We could only licence Electric Eye, The Hellion would have counted as a second song" or something to that effect.
    Yes, that is exactly right. For 40 seconds, we're looking at the same fee as a full-length song. The band sees it as a different composition and licenses it accordingly. We wanted it, and inquired, then thought about it and made the call that, even though that first song on the album is very cool and definitely sounds great leading into "Electric Eye," it's not more important than the second song on the album. Disappointing, but just not something justifiable.

My argument would be then to move on to another Priest song that doesn't have a synonymous intro.
    We are not going to completely skip a highly requested song for this reason.

I can guarantee (well not guarantee, but pretty d@mn sure) that Electric Eye has NEVER ONCE been played on the radio anywhere, that The Hellion wasn't used as the intro, as it's supposed to be.
    This does suggest a question: If the first song is impossible to divorce from the second song, why doesn't the band see it that way?

Radio makes its choices out of a sense of convenience and flow. (I say this as someone who used to be an on-air DJ.) The album starts with The Hellion, which goes right into Electric Eye -- which means a DJ can cue up the beginning of the album, and it's super easy for them.

But the two works are listed as their own compositions. Here's the Spotify link to the song. Here's the album on Amazon. The band named them differently and lists them individually.

I don't know how you would convince the artist that they are wrong to classify their two songs as two songs in this case. I don't think "but I always hear them together" is going to be compelling enough to get them to change their licensing rules.

DanAmrich's Avatar Rocksmith Dev Team
    I realize the argument will be (is); "We could only licence Electric Eye, The Hellion would have counted as a second song" or something to that effect.
    Yes, that is exactly right. For 40 seconds, we're looking at the same fee as a full-length song. The band sees it as a different composition and licenses it accordingly. We wanted it, and inquired, then thought about it and made the call that, even though that first song on the album is very cool and definitely sounds great leading into "Electric Eye," it's not more important than the second song on the album. Disappointing, but just not something justifiable.

My argument would be then to move on to another Priest song that doesn't have a synonymous intro.
    We are not going to completely skip a highly requested song for this reason.

I can guarantee (well not guarantee, but pretty d@mn sure) that Electric Eye has NEVER ONCE been played on the radio anywhere, that The Hellion wasn't used as the intro, as it's supposed to be.
    This does suggest a question: If the first song is impossible to divorce from the second song, why doesn't the band see it that way?

Radio makes its choices out of a sense of convenience and flow. (I say this as someone who used to be an on-air DJ.) The album starts with The Hellion, which goes right into Electric Eye -- which means a DJ can cue up the beginning of the album, and it's super easy for them.

But the two works are listed as their own compositions. Here's the Spotify link to the song. Here's the album on Amazon. The band named them differently and lists them individually.

I don't know how you would convince the artist that they are wrong to classify their two songs as two songs in this case. I don't think "but I always hear them together" is going to be compelling enough to get them to change their licensing rules.

Dan, I guess that's also why Asylum didn't include Remnants in the first Disturbed pack then?

Dan, just wondering if there wasn't enough requests/interests for another Priest pack vs a single song...?

Well I'm glad we got 'Holy Wars and Punishment Due", I know Dave considers them two distinct compositions, maybe he thinks they sound better together ?

Stang616's Avatar Member
    Originally Posted by Grumble Volcano Go to original post
    Dan, I guess that's also why Asylum didn't include Remnants in the first Disturbed pack then?
    It's probably also the reason why we didn't get "We Will Rock You" and "We Are The Champions."

zaxcv4321's Avatar Senior Member
    I love the solo for Electric Eye - just listened to it.

I really like the phrasing, and the stuff that is fast seems to be there for more than just showing off technique - it sounds necessary to the narrative.
    There is a kind of haphazardness and control there that I don't hear in a lot of guitar solos - really exciting stuff.

I am looking forward to learning why this solo works so much for me.

I heard the Hellion as well. But if given a choice between only having one or the other, I am glad that we are getting Electric Eye, even though the Hellion sounds so epic,