Did they speak in their native tongue or did they speak English? If they spoke English then did they have lessons when they arrived in 'Blighty' or had they already learnt the language at home?

Sorry in advance for my ignorance...

S! Simon
    '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '''''
    Download the USAAF & RAF campaign folders here.

Download "North and South" including the Japanese speech-pack here. *NEW*

Did they speak in their native tongue or did they speak English? If they spoke English then did they have lessons when they arrived in 'Blighty' or had they already learnt the language at home?

Sorry in advance for my ignorance...

S! Simon
    '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '''''

AFAIK Polish squadron spoke english.

I do remember reading though in one book that the Poles constantly chattered away to each other in their native tongue during combat, much to the annoyance of their Brit flight leads...

I'm afraid I don't recall the book's title or author though... if it comes back to me I'll post here.

---------------------------------------------------------
    Per Ardua ad Astra

"Repeat please!"

Lasst das Hollentor offen,
    Es FRIERT HIER OBEN!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Moo.Cow:
    I do remember reading though in one book that the Poles constantly chattered away to each other in their native tongue during combat, much to the annoyance of their Brit flight leads...

I'm afraid I don't recall the book's title or author though... if it comes back to me I'll post here.

http://mysite.freeserve.com/ilsigs/Spitfire.jpg
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    Per Ardua ad Astra<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cool!
    I'd really like to see if you could substantiate that please mate...

S! Simon

extreme, havn‚¬īt seen Dark Blue World ?
    before they czech pilots went to combat, they had to learn english.

Boandlgramer

The first Time i saw Chuck Yeager, i shot him down. Petrosillius Zwacklmann (Held ).

Wachtmeister Dimpfelmoser in Verfolgung von R√¬§uber Hotzenplotz, der auf sch√¬§ndliche Weise Oma‚¬īs Kaffeem√ľhle in seinen Besitz brachte.
    Gut, dass es Wachtmeister gibt , unbestechlich und tapfer .

Extereme one - If you haven't seen Dark Blue World, stop what you are doing right now and get to your local video/DVD rental shop and get it. As Boandl.. said, the pilots have to take English lessons before they are allowed to fly (much to their frustration). There's a great scene where one of the pilots tries to leave his class in a fit of frustration over some of the idiosyncrasies of the language and the matronly teacher blocks his way explaining that he's doing his bit to stop the Nazis, and she will not allow him to stop her doing hers.

Cheers guys.

Let me ask you this then:-

Is it a silly idea I had then of using a Polish regiment and 'dressing the planes' in RAF skins so that we'd hear Polish chatter from our accompanying flight?
    Based on the above responses it does seem a silly idea - but I can't come to terms with my Polish buddies of 316 Squadron speaking with Scottish, English and South African accents...

S! Simon

Most polish aircrew did not speak English when they arrived in UK, although a lot spoke French, they were predominately trained in Blackpool, my forum photo left is my father and it was taken in Blackpool. They mostly knew the basics of flying English when they flew in the RAF, however tended to revert to their native tounge when excited !! Much to the annoyance of their British flight instructors.

http://img26.photobucket.com/albums/...on%20Wijaszko/