🛈 Announcement
Greetings! The Division forums are now archived and accessible in read-only mode, please go to the new platform to discuss the game

An idea about going Rogue that I haven't heard before

So how about this.....
    Keep friendly fire as is, but change the flagging mechanic.

I see a lot of players complaining about being baited into going rogue. I personally dislike the current (do enough damage to someone) system for rogue flagging. It allows players to bait others by shooting at them 1 or 2 times first or by shooting a turret to get it to fire on them. I say why not do flagging this way instead.

If you cause any damage to another player or gadget that they control a prompt pops up telling you to hit a keybind (or button) to call them in as a rogue agent. Even if your character is killed by the attacker the Call in button remains active. This prevents baiting and makes ALL players accountable for their fire. I also think that the timer you get to leave rogue status should not reset to full unless you damage another player, If you are fleeing and are attacked the timer should just keep ticking down.

I don't think this makes the DZ any safer as some said that a FF toggle would have done. All this does is remove baiting and make players own the shots they fire.

Just an idea

No thanks rogue system is fine the way it is one of the worst ideas on here also don't like going rogue by being baited don't shoot back not that hard also when friendlies are around and you don't want to go rogue on accident here's a good idea WATCH YOUR FIRE ITS NOT THAT HARD learn different ways to the situation

Haven't heard that one yet either. I don't have any issue with it now. I'll reserve judgment on a 'fix' till I know if there is something broken

A valid point. I will admit that i have no clue what the controls are for the consoles, but there has got to be a way. ie: hold the aim button and press another one.
    Just spit-balling ideas. I just know that while a lot of people dismiss the concerns of others about baiting it will keep a lot of players from even trying out the DZ, I'm pretty sure that those same people will be thinking "good riddance". Is that really the right attitude to have. I mean even if a player is the type who is always rogue, don't you need others to prey on.
    If the only real downside (that i can see) is that you need to hit an extra keybind (or button combination)......I think that is a good trade off when faced with losing participating players.

YenRug's Avatar Member
    I think one of the simplest solutions for rogue baiting is this:

If you shoot a "friendly" player you are marked as an aggressor, but only to them, the amount of damage caused has nothing to do with this status, simply that you struck them.

Any non-Rogue player can shoot someone marked as aggressor without becoming Rogue themself, unless they cause enough damage to kill them.

By doing this, shooting someone with a low powered weapon and goading them into shooting you will not cause that other player to turn Rogue, unless they go so far as killing you.

Originally Posted by Smileyguy24 Go to original post
    No thanks rogue system is fine the way it is one of the worst ideas on here also don't like going rogue by being baited don't shoot back not that hard also when friendlies are around and you don't want to go rogue on accident here's a good idea WATCH YOUR FIRE ITS NOT THAT HARD learn different ways to the situation
    Really.....don't shoot back. That's your solution. That is just silly to me
    I do agree with watching the fire however. I'm all for just not having my suggested keybind if any damage flags for rogue. To me it's just clunky to let someone attack me first and not be able to return fire without being penalized. Yes, I know it's not hard to just not shoot back, but its just a clunky mechanic. Why should I be the one to take the penalty when i didn't fire first.

SgtDmX's Avatar Member
    Originally Posted by YenRug Go to original post
    ...If you shoot a "friendly" player you are marked as an aggressor, but only to them, the amount of damage caused has nothing to do with this status, simply that you struck them... Any non-Rogue player can shoot someone marked as aggressor without becoming Rogue themself, unless they cause enough damage to kill them.
    I kinda like it. You can retaliate, but if you go too far, you'll be flagged as rogue.
    This could get rid of most of the baiting by shooting a few times with a weak weapon.

It's a good idea to keep in mind for later, if this turns out to be a problem in official release.

Originally Posted by Fatal dab Go to original post
    Send a single shot back, easy. I'd have *******s shoot me and I'd just do the same back to tempt them. I think the rogue system is fine as is, but they need to make turrets only target Rogue & AI, maybe not even collide with friendly agents
    I hear what your saying, but really just view that as a waste of time. As said above I would just prefer everyone own their shots.
    First shot flagging or Triggered flagging but this in between thing just feels like a mess.

I mean you may enjoy the little tag/tag-back game but I would much prefer a more one and done solution. All personal prefs I guess.

SgtDmX's Avatar Member
    Originally Posted by Fatal dab Go to original post
    Send a single shot back, easy. I'd have *******s shoot me and I'd just do the same back to tempt them.
    This is you ignoring the problem. This shouldn't happen at all, and there is probably a good solution to prevent this.
    It's stupid to allow players to shoot eachother, without any sort of consequence.

Like YenRug said, if someone shoots you, even for 1 damage, they will be flagged somehow and you will be able to retaliate without going rogue, as long as you don't kill them. You'll have the option to punish them as you see fit, for being careless or trying to bait you. If it was an accident, they'll learn from it. If it's baiting, they can't really complain if the player decide to shoot them down to 5% health.

Or as Vorath0501 said, zero-tolerance to hurting other agents. You hurt me, intentionally or by accident, you're now a rogue. Any negative side-effect from this can be ironed out later, when we see how it will work out (there will be a huge wave of whiners that couldn't watch their fire, you know it).

I just can't get behind the retaliate but don't kill option. May just be me, but if you shoot me you should go rogue and i should be able to kill you without penalties.