As a devotee of the 'IL2' series since day 1, I follow this forum and others daily. I rarely post due to time constraints however.

One thing I have noticed up to now in the 'IL2' game varients is a lack of 'activity' at ground installations, particularly airfields. I realize that the new 'Pacific Fighters' screen shots are WiP and perhaps not fair game, but my guess is that the obsevation will remain valid even when the game is released.

Since little moving men are often seen escaping from burning ground vehicles or even abandoning them prior to attack, would it not be possible and relatively easily coded to have them moving about on airfields, servicing static a/c, appearing and disappearing from structures, etc etc? Expanding on that, would it not be logical to have them doing the same on the 'Pacific Fighters' carrier decks?

Finally, when a plane lands and taxi's to a stop on the tarmac area, wouldn't it be logical and realistic to have a happy, thankful ground crew move to surround the a/c and welcome the brave pilot home? :]

Rick West

As a devotee of the 'IL2' series since day 1, I follow this forum and others daily. I rarely post due to time constraints however.

One thing I have noticed up to now in the 'IL2' game varients is a lack of 'activity' at ground installations, particularly airfields. I realize that the new 'Pacific Fighters' screen shots are WiP and perhaps not fair game, but my guess is that the obsevation will remain valid even when the game is released.

Since little moving men are often seen escaping from burning ground vehicles or even abandoning them prior to attack, would it not be possible and relatively easily coded to have them moving about on airfields, servicing static a/c, appearing and disappearing from structures, etc etc? Expanding on that, would it not be logical to have them doing the same on the 'Pacific Fighters' carrier decks?

Finally, when a plane lands and taxi's to a stop on the tarmac area, wouldn't it be logical and realistic to have a happy, thankful ground crew move to surround the a/c and welcome the brave pilot home? :]

Rick West

"Finally, when a plane lands and taxi's to a stop on the tarmac area, wouldn't it be logical and realistic to have a happy, thankful ground crew move to surround the a/c and welcome the brave pilot home? :]"

It would be logical, realistic and welcome. I'd love to see something like this, but I'm pretty sure something like that won't be put in FB/AEP though.

I don't see how a crowd of gingerbread men would make the experience more enjoyable. If they would make that crowd as realistic as the soldiers you see in call of duty per exemple, that would eat too much fps. I think there's a lot of issues to be adressed before making crowds of soldiers on the ground (tracers, fires on the ground, muzzle flash, size of objects like boats and buildings...).

[QUOTE]Originally posted by rick_475:
    If they would make that crowd as realistic as the soldiers you see in call of duty per exemple, that would eat too much fps.QUOTE]

Since the flight is over what difference would eating some FPS make? No flame, just asking..... ;]

GT182's Avatar Banned
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>by Tara_King..... Since the flight is over what difference would eating some FPS make? No flame, just asking..... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I believe eating up more FPS in having so many ground personel running around would make the game almost unplayable, unless you have a very highend pc to handle it all. The more going on in-game is what causes most of the lag and lock-ups you experience while the game is running. Even with just GP it could eat up FPS. In a COOP mission you have more than just one a/c to take care of.

"GT182" / "Stab/JG51_vonSpinmeister"
    www.bombs-away.net
    "Fly to Survive, Survive to Fly"

[QUOTE]Originally posted by GT182:
    In a COOP mission you have more than just one a/c to take care of. QUOTE]

Ok, I hadn't considered anything other than offline solo play which is what I do most (my online play is mostly in Aces High). So in that regard I agree completely.Such ground activity is unnecessary and unwarrented. However, for offline play, in my humble opionion, it would be a sweet addition to an already beautiful virtual environmentand game experience.

I think that many / most serious IL2 FB and potential Pacific Fighters players do have the high end PC's able to handle such potential memory / CPU usage. If not, the game is so configurable to every players systems ability, why not just add another switch to enable or disable such ground activity?? The switch could be in the basic game config section or in one of the excellent player created Manager Mods most of us use.

I think in my case they will be picking up aircraft parts from a big hole in the airfield and trying to find my missing wooden leg and glass eye

Well lets look at it from our greedy perspective.

Lets say they put some activity on the ground that consists of men working, running, etc. We look at it and say "Great!" A couple weeks later we start saying "With the guys running around, why not have squads of soldiers on both sides fighting battles like the tanks do?" Then if they gave us that, we would ask for those battles to include other things like muzzle flashes and grenades flying by, etc etc.

Knowing us, we would keep asking for the smallest little detail to be put in, our ideas for things like this would never stop. One would have to draw the line somewhere and I think they did that at the right place with most parts in this game.

Of course I would love to keep seeing improvements like this. Yet Im just being realistic. Nothing wrong with wishing though. We are a greedy (yet grateful) bunch here lol.

My sick and twisted mind would probably beg to shoot my "happy ground crew"

MWUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Haha no seriously I would maybe like a ground crew on planes to take you off and land you thats it... It would be cool if a dude would stand there and tell you where you must pitch your wings, like in real life, and if you were coming in too fast he would give you the break symbol or wave his arms telling oyu to cut engine or pull out a bazooka and blow you away... no wait thats the BF1942 part of me talking...