Thoughts on unique gear?

Just wondering who thinks that when higher levels are reached and more and more exotic and interesting high rarity levels are available Ubisoft will have something planned to distinguish their more extravagant loot?

For me in loot games that are somewhat comparable to this, destiny and borderlands. They have the advantage that the game world is rooted in fiction and therefore they have the option to create quality looking guns that have a really special design that's all sorts of colours or is on fire or whatever. My worry is that with the division being set in reality (admittedly a bullet sponge reality) how boring is it going to be when you're exotic M4 looks the exact same as the starting grey gun? Same goes for armour pieces.

Cheers guys,

Thoughts?

Tallsoldier's Avatar Senior Member
    Well the high end weapons that you could buy in the safe house had unique looks.

Surely it will come down to the power that gun deals out.
    I'd be more than happy with my rifle looking like all the others, if it packed an extra punch

True but it's always nice to have something that looks as powerful as it is, and I haven't seen any of the guns from the safeguards yet, didn't think you could preview from vendors, is it the same for armour?

Originally Posted by Philofax1992 Go to original post
    True but it's always nice to have something that looks as powerful as it is, and I haven't seen any of the guns from the safeguards yet, didn't think you could preview from vendors, is it the same for armour?
    This is a part of the problem with the game being set in a modern or near-future setting though. You take a real Colt M4 carbine for instance, how much can you do with it? Extended mag, attach some stuff on the side like a laser or a light, some kinda scope or holo sight, maybe paint it a different color. But that's already in the game. An M4 is an M4, it doesn't have a magically enchanted version that spits lightning bullets or something like that, as is the case if you were playing a similar shooter RPG like Destiny or Borderlands. Naming it in the Tom Clancy's franchise, questionable as that alone is, they hamper themselves with their own setting in making equipment look interesting.

Originally Posted by Philofax1992 Go to original post
    Just wondering who thinks that when higher levels are reached and more and more exotic and interesting high rarity levels are available Ubisoft will have something planned to distinguish their more extravagant loot?

For me in loot games that are somewhat comparable to this, destiny and borderlands. They have the advantage that the game world is rooted in fiction and therefore they have the option to create quality looking guns that have a really special design that's all sorts of colours or is on fire or whatever. My worry is that with the division being set in reality (admittedly a bullet sponge reality) how boring is it going to be when you're exotic M4 looks the exact same as the starting grey gun? Same goes for armour pieces.

Cheers guys,

Thoughts?
    Destiny / Borderlands both share something The Division does not have - SCI-FI elements.
    Have you gotten the high-end weapons? They are quite unique in their appearance (some more than others), Liberators has a different colour than your standard AR, Pakhan is gold plated with a diamond at the end of the iron sights...

I managed to get a superior ACR with Self-preserved (.5% heal on crit) and Accurate (20% increase to accuracy) and I don't care how plain it looks, being able to go toe to toe with 3 people when I rock Firearm/Vit stats and dropping 2 before I go down >>> looks.

Originally Posted by CC-RAPTORJEEBUS Go to original post
    Destiny / Borderlands both share something The Division does not have - SCI-FI elements.
    Have you gotten the high-end weapons? They are quite unique in their appearance (some more than others), Liberators has a different colour than your standard AR, Pakhan is gold plated with a diamond at the end of the iron sights...

I managed to get a superior ACR with Self-preserved (.5% heal on crit) and Accurate (20% increase to accuracy) and I don't care how plain it looks, being able to go toe to toe with 3 people when I rock Firearm/Vit stats and dropping 2 before I go down >>> looks.
    Fair enough, hopefully it'll keep up with the unique high level stuff then, the setting definitely makes it hard to do sci do stuff as you said. Haven't managed to get the exotics yet, didn't want to go mental with it only being beta. Going to do that at full launch haha

Really?!

If you want a gun that is on fire (and let everyone around you know you have a special weapon) go play Destiny and quit complaining! If you want a near realistic experience (and having the tactical advantage of others not knowing if your weapon is souped up) then play the Division... and quit complaining!

Originally Posted by CHL3334 Go to original post
    If you want a gun that is on fire (and let everyone around you know you have a special weapon) go play Destiny and quit complaining! If you want a near realistic experience (and having the tactical advantage of others not knowing if your weapon is souped up) then play the Division... and quit complaining!
    Who's complaining? Just asking what people thought about it, I have no issue with any of the creative choices made by Massive, I do however understand the appeal of unique looking gear in a game of this kind. It's not sci fi and therefore completely understandable that guns would mainly differ in stats opposed to aesthetics. You've missed the point here mate, was just seeing what people's thoughts were on this kind of thing. Admittedly I said it could be boring to have minimal variation in gun stylings but I never questioned the games foundations or claimed I would prefer destiny's over who's the division is going for

SgtDmX's Avatar Member
    There's been discussions about high level appearence in clothing though.
    Maybe we'll see clothes with a level requirement in the future?
    A set of clothes/weapon skins that drop from certain bosses etc, making it a set,
    that you can only use if you meet the level requirement. That could be one way to do it.