personally i am interested in WWII air combat history and IMO, FB gives the affect of air combats of these days very well and moreover in jet sims it's like a click-and-shotdown, u do not have much to do, to take down a foe.

your oppinions please

personally i am interested in WWII air combat history and IMO, FB gives the affect of air combats of these days very well and moreover in jet sims it's like a click-and-shotdown, u do not have much to do, to take down a foe.

your oppinions please

Interest in Vintage aviation and the fact that aeronautical engineering progressed more in WWI and WWII than at any other time in its short history.

Those are the main reasons for me.

Zayets's Avatar Senior Member
    Real men fly planes without an engine.

Zayets out

No magic missiles, no radar & no engagements beyond visual range - all this sci-fi stuff turns me off. I like this man & machine thing you know.

S!

M0NS

"So when Diogenes perceived that he was greatly excited and quite keyed up in mind with expectancy, he toyed with him and pulled him about in the hope that somehow he might be moved from his pride and thirst for glory and be able to sober up a little. For he noticed that at one time he was delighted, and at another grieved at the same thing, and that his soul was as unsettled as the weather at the solstices when both rain and sunshine come from the very same source."

(Dio Chrysostom "Discourse" 4.77-78)

I want to fly. Not spend time trying to figure out how to use the XYZ air-to-air radar. If I were into that I'd buy a VCR and try to program it.

cheers/slush

hotspace's Avatar Senior Member
    More fun...

Hot Space

Nervous? Yes! First time? No, I've been nervous lots of times!!!

Originally posted by Beebop_54:
    1. You can see what you're aiming at.
    2. Once you get past Mach I every aircraft starts looking similar.
    3. You rely on a human instead of a computer.
    4. Propellers keep you cool.

what do you want to tell by saying "Once you get past Mach I every aircraft starts looking similar ?" i dont get it? uh?

http://www.il2airracing.com/

F19_Ob's Avatar Senior Member
    When I get the chance I use to fly really near, behind and slightly below an enemy for long periods. bouncing is fun but a superlong bounce is even funnier.

Recently I closely tracked a 109 unnoticed in a p40 for some time and since I had no ammo so I tried to chop his tail with my prop. I got propstrike and he flew away without noticing, I had a long glide to my airfield and landed normally.
    U cant do that with a jet.

cheers

The Korean War had jets yet they didn't have "magic" missiles and radar.

The Vietnam War had jets yet they didn't have "magic" missiles if you look at PK results. In fact, w/ the Phantom, it's even more of a tail chase than WW2 aircraft because there was no gun (until the E) and the sidewinder required specific parameters behind the enemy aircraft.

I'm not sure aeronautics increased that much more in WW2 than any other time. Speeds went from 200 mph to about 500 mph. It's after WW2 during the cold war that speeds reach Mach2, missile warfare is developed and we go to the moon.

I prefer jet combat but there isn't any simulation out right now that has a good balance between eye-candy and playability in a complete wartime environment.

If you've never read it, do yourself a favor and get your hands on Drendel's "...And Kill MiGs" for some really great air-air dogfights during the Vietnam War. Excellent read and many of those were really intense dogfights that I'm sure anyone can appreciate.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... Last ►►