cawatrooper9's Avatar AC Forum Moderator
    Originally Posted by Sorrosyss Go to original post

In a way, the assassination of Caesar will be a timely example for The Hidden Ones that being publically visible for such an event is a pretty bad idea for them. The tenet to "hide in plain sight" is so very apt here, and it is a lesson that Aya will likely help train into future assassins for passing on to generations to come.
    Interesting thought, especially considering how big of a historical event is, yet how Aya managed to sidestep the spotlight pretty well in hindsight.

Sorrosyss's Avatar Senior Member
    Uprising #11.

And so we enter the Endgame. This really is it now, with Assassins, Templars and Instruments all converging in one place - the rebirth location of Juno. By all accounts her body now appears to be completed, and we have a multitude of questions as to the exact physical attributes that it contains. Could she survive a Hidden Blade strike? Has the Shroud given her an advanced healing factor? Will she somehow escape the facility and disappear out into the wider world, or will this finally be her end?

Elijah certainly looks likely to be playing a part in this, be it as Aita or from his own mind. The exact motivations behind this are unclear, beyond the fact that he was effectively tortured previously. Perhaps Aita knows that deep down he simply cannot be resurrected in the same fashion as Juno, being the broken echo that he is, and now ultimately wants revenge upon her in some fashion. It's certainly unknown exactly what he is going to do at this point, but he is clearly planning to undermine the resurrection in some fashion.

Charlotte's part in all of this has been foretold ever since her first appearance in the comics in 2015. She has come a long way since then, but how will she ultimately be able to stop Juno? Is it truly going to be down to the Koh-I-Noor to land the killing strike upon Juno? It is difficult to see any other weapon that could be that effective certainly.

One thing is for sure though, by the closure of the next and final issue, the Modern Day landscape of the Assassin's Creed universe will have drastically changed in one direction or another. I look forward to finding out.

2 people found this helpful

Origins #3.

It was nice to see the relationship between Brutus and Aya resulted in him coming back to rescue her. Very telling that she chose not to betray him either. In terms of the lore now, Brutus's part is to flee to Crete. But how will Aya turn around Rome? Perhaps this truly is the point that we see her adopt the new name of Amunet, in a way to reset the board for herself.

This issue very much focused on the battle with the hippos, so there was not that much here in terms of story progression. However, it seems pretty clear now that the next and final issue will feature Amunet finally eliminating Cleopatra, a lore event we have known about since Assassin's Creed 2 nearly nine years ago. It will certainly be a nice footnote to the story of Aya, if this will indeed be her last lore appearance in the franchise.

Uprising #12.

And so it ends. There was a series of conflicting emotions for me at the end of this issue. I mean on the face of it, we were all pretty much expecting Juno's demise for awhile now, but Charlotte as well? That was a bit of a surprise, and given the journey she has gone through since 2015, I really did feel she was becoming a strong and competent leader of the Assassins. I liked her a lot. Hell, I'm sure alot of fans might have preferred her over Layla for Origins even. But I digress.

I suppose one has to question the validity of the final pages of this comic though. The continuity of events versus the same scene in issue 9 do not seem to tally up. Juno has visibly different clothing on between the issues (her shoulder pads for one), and with Charlotte giving an odd narration over the final issue about her being inside a dream, you cannot help but question which version of events is actually playing out here. We already saw part of one illusion after all.

As for Juno. Well... is this her true end? On the face of it you must assume so. She was not only stabbed through the throat, but evidently blown up as well. That should be it, surely? Eight years of narrative build up, to two minutes in a body, and then dying. Ubisoft wrapped up the story they weren't able to get into the games, but in a way we should at least be thankful for this fan service, and that this medium actually allowed us to see the conclusion to her story. But that being said...

Juno herself states that her body has been infused with the power of the Shroud. We all know that the Shroud can heal wounds quickly, so theoretically the blade wound should be no different. Yet what about the explosion? You'd think that would be too much for her to survive as well, but we know the Shroud protected Gramatica from a similar explosion in a sound file from Syndicate. Could Juno therefore have survived? It felt to me that it has been left as a vague dangling possibility, just in case Ubisoft decided that they did still want to do anything with her. But in terms of the canon, without any other information to go on we must assume therefore that she did indeed perish in an Australian desert lab. Goodbye Beloved.

Elijah is certainly an odd character to me now though. He not only managed to override Aita within himself, but thanks to his actions resulted in Juno's death as well. But who is he now really? We all know he is Desmond Miles' son, but the way he speaks of Aita as being a ghost was curious to me, it almost suggests he have might even have another entity inside of him. His sudden heelturn and revenge plotline really did come out of nowhere for me, so it was a little jarring to see this play out. Still, he escaped out into the wider world with the Koh-I-Noor. I fear that's not the last we will see of that diamond or him. His comment about the end of the lineage felt like a kind of hint that this is the last Sage we will see in the franchise. The lore suggests otherwise, that Sages will continue to appear, but perhaps with Juno's essence gone they will merely remain inert. Whichever way, I'm willing to bet Ubisoft is happy to write them out at this point.

One would like to assume that Galina and the remaining Assassins escaped Berg and the Templar special forces during the explosion, but we at this point do not know if they were captured or perhaps even killed. It will be interesting to see where the Modern Day element goes from these events going forwards. The Instruments leadership has been destroyed, and their goddess defeated. Their influence is now gone from this world, and in turn you must conclude that the Templars have ultimately netted a big win by cleansing themselves of the cultists. The Assassins have again taken heavy losses, and have little to show for it by comparison.

But what now? As of this moment, there are no new Titan Comics announced to follow Uprising. The Origins comic does not evidently contain Modern Day elements, therefore it would appear that Layla Hassan's story is the only one currently playing out in the Present Day. (Well, save for the expected third issue for the Conspirations series) I would not be surprised if we perhaps see some new announcements at the main Comic Con in July though.

Overall, I enjoyed Uprising as a series. The focus on the Modern Day was so very welcome. It had a lot of fun and fan favourite characters, many of which I thoroughly enjoyed. We had some great one liners, fun set pieces, a fantastic Isu era flashback, and some of the biggest lore changing events within the Modern Setting in many years. It was a pleasure to cover this series, but I sincerely hope there will be something else to follow on from here. As Juno can't be dead... right? RIGHT?
     2 people found this helpful

cawatrooper9's Avatar AC Forum Moderator
    Spoiler:  Show

Just in case she really is dead... sorry for your loss, friend!

Ichrukia56's Avatar Member
    Writing 101 if you do not see the person (Charlotte) died then they are not dead

Origins #4.

The Origins comic comes to a close, and with it the end of Aya's sojourn outside of the game narrative. There was a fair few narrative threads to tie up in this issue, and the vast majority of them concluded where we expected them to from existing lore. That being said, Cleopatra was supposed to have been killed by a snake, therefore it was a bit surprising to see her committing suicide instead.

Another strange lore oddity was the mention of Brutus supposedly surviving the Battle of Philippi, where historically he met his end. In the AC universe, his followers attempted to use a Shroud of Eden to resurrect him but it was seemingly not successful. Or was it? This mention may well pave the way for some new lore for the character, and with the rumours of the next Assassin's Creed being set in Rome it would not be too much of a stretch to wonder if there is a connection here.

Overall, the comic set out to tell the story of how Aya became Amunet, and in that regard it succeeded. We saw how exposing yourself publically for an assassination is a very bad idea, and in turn we can understand how this lesson became ultimately incorporated into the Tenet to "Hide in plain sight." Cleopatra met her end as we knew she would, but I can't help feeling that this would have been far more effective as a single level within the game itself. Ultimately, the comic series brought little new to us from a lore perspective, and it was slightly frustrating that it did not go into the more interesting aspects to some characters - namely Brutus's strong connection to the Isu Vault which he regularly visited. It did feel like a missed opportunity to explore that aspect in the end.

The collected novel is intending to release in September for those interested. The english version of Conspirations (renamed as Conspiracies) is coming up next, but the French version has already been extensively covered previously. As such, there are currently no other new Titan releases on the horizon. If any new series are coming soon, we should probably expect to see something announced at the upcoming San Diego Comic Con in July. For those who have followed all these summaries since 2015, thanks for your time. Hopefully I'll be back with a new analysis soon!

Ohi guys! I wanted to ask: wasn't titan to collect the two chapter of the "Conspiracies" french comic in a volume? I read something about it sometime ago but now can't find anything online...

If you are referring to the collected two volume Conspiracies paperback, it's currently scheduled for release on November 27th.