jenkki's Avatar Trials Developer

The Trials HD Riddle Revealed

Originally Posted by jenkki
    Two and a half years ago, Trials HD was released for Xbox LIVE Arcade. Little noticed at first were various strange clues, hidden in deep parts of the game. Seemingly related to science, history, and unexplained mysteries, the brief clues hinted at a larger riddle buried within the game.

Over the last two years, the Trials Community has debated, speculated, and argued over each bit of evidence. What follows is a very special video created by FatShady, a dedicated member of Trials community and one of the many who contributed to the riddle's solution.

Rather than put the solution into our own words, this video will set up the riddle and reveal each clue and how it fits into the riddle.

Regarding the riddle, RedLynx's Creative Director Antti Ilvessuo had this to say: "You could say I created the riddle, but what I really did was set the rules out. The game was played by the players, the riddle was discovered by them. I just started it. That was one really the key here." He then walked Fatshady through the riddle a few months ago, after which FatShady started the long process of creating this awesome video.

The answer and riddle were thought out like three years ago. Now here is the official answer.

So please sit back and enjoy, help us close the door on Trials HD, and help us get ready for the next chapter in the Trials story -- Trials Evolution, launching April 18.

Re: The Trials HD Riddle Revealed

Well done RedLynx.

Now the never ending question and curiosity of the "Christmas Tree Riddle" can begin.

Oski's Avatar Senior Member

Well, we got pretty close.

Brilliant video thanks

Good job, everyone, especially FatShady for being the driving force behind the effort to solve the clues! And thanks, ANBA, for an awesome and mysterious riddle that has kept us intrigued this whole time!

So was there a forum member or someone who came closest to producing this correct question/answer?

I admit in some ways I'm a bit disappointed that so many of the clues seem to have such specific answers, but then get lumped into massively broad categories like "people who discovered things" (a group which could contain about a billion people).

In addition, let me be the first to say: as a mathemetician, I strongly disagree with the video's interpretation of the constant 'e':

This number (2.718) is significant because while it is a constant, it lacks a specific and finite answer. It is never ending.
    and later
    Finally, as with 'e', we know that there isn't always an exact answer. All we can ever do is get infinitely closer to the unattainable answers that we seek.
    There are a lot of cool things about the constant 'e', but "lacking an exact answer" is most definitely not one of them.

e (and pi and sqrt(2) and all irrational numbers) DO have exact answers, very well understood by mathemeticians. You are correct, the decimal representations of them can never be written out completely, and irrational numbers (and transcendental numbers, which are a subset of the irrationals) have lots of other interesting properties.

If "you can never write out the whole number" was your clue, you might as well have just used the number 1/3! You can never write out the entire number in decimal representation either, 0.333333333333...

Originally Posted by MegaTrain
    Good job, everyone, especially FatShady for being the driving force behind the effort to solve the clues! And thanks, ANBA, for an awesome and mysterious riddle that has kept us intrigued this whole time!

So was there a forum member or someone who came closest to producing this correct question/answer?

I admit in some ways I'm a bit disappointed that so many of the clues seem to have such specific answers, but then get lumped into massively broad categories like "people who discovered things" (a group which could contain about a billion people).

In addition, let me be the first to say: as a mathemetician, I strongly disagree with the video's interpretation of the constant 'e':

This number (2.718) is significant because while it is a constant, it lacks a specific and finite answer. It is never ending.
    and later
    Finally, as with 'e', we know that there isn't always an exact answer. All we can ever do is get infinitely closer to the unattainable answers that we seek.
    There are a lot of cool things about the constant 'e', but "lacking an exact answer" is most definitely not one of them.

e (and pi and sqrt(2) and all irrational numbers) DO have exact answers, very well understood by mathemeticians. You are correct, the decimal representations of them can never be written out completely, and irrational numbers (and transcendental numbers, which are a subset of the irrationals) have lots of other interesting properties.

If "you can never write out the whole number" was your clue, you might as well have just used the number 1/3! You can never write out the entire number in decimal representation either, 0.333333333333...

Where were you when I was making the video huh???

I will be the first to admit that i have no idea about this stuff and given the very tight time constraints of a video that is intended for a broad audience, I think it got the job done. But im happy to trust you that you are technically correct.

Originally Posted by vladiiiiiiii
    Was the Christmas Tree supposed to be a hint of when Trials Evolution was originally going to be released?
    That was was popped straight into my head too, great minds

Nice one shady, though this kinda thing is not normally my cup of tea, I can still appreciate the huge effort and achievement you guys went through in trying to solve this

That was such a fitting tribute to something a lot of THD players that have dedicated so much time to this riddle, you more than did it justice with this video FatShady! I'm actually quite glad that the riddle wasn't QUITE solved before the answer was released. Coming so close without getting to the answer is kind of a great end to this, with the way that the trials community reacted to the riddle relating to the answer itself.

I think FatShady should definitely get to go to the RedLynx studios and be giving a small, hand-carved trophy in a ceremony to commemorate his effort. I know a lot of other people have contributed as well but you can't deny he's been more involved than anyone else!

T4KShadow's Avatar Senior Member

It all seems so obvious and clear now, hoe did we not get it? Also how long has FatShady known about the answer?

I knew those had something to those things, 4 on this video I have never seen, which was cool. Off to Youtube to find these new ones for the next 8 days. I do think it would have been a little better if the answer was actually obtainable without extensive help from the creature. I realize the base of people exposed is large but there are tons of factors to come to a conclusion out of all of it. Such as the roman numeral bit/ without a key the answer is not possible such as Egypt hieroglyphs. We "think" we know what they mean but we have no idea if we are actually right. I hope there is something like that in this new one just try to make it possible to at least to come to a conclusion with each clue, leaving it up to the imagination to piece it together. Bravo

Edit** I wish I did not see it... The DNA sequence is not possible

With experience it was the first thing I looked for when it said DNA I am not down playing the awesomeness of the Riddle. Simply informing....

All DNA sequence's has one common codon. A codon is a 3-chain of amino acids such as TAC, GGT, CGT, so on...... Infinite possible combinations. There is a key factor (codon) that must be present which is the TAC in the code which is not present. The absence of TAC means it is not DNA at all: rather a collection of amino acids. TAC is the "START" line for replication which is required for DNA replication, which pairs with ACT; that is DNA's sequence Reciprocal in 5' to 3' (prime). So even if someone with experience with (DNA, RNA replication) would see this it is not very likely going to be associated with DNA. Not to say it wasn't possible, but unlikely.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last ►►