Chuck_Older's Avatar Banned
    I wasn't really disagreeing with you, I was just pointing out that with an auto, it is relatively easy in the old car hobby to define "original condition" and what it means.

Due to a military aircraft's use and life-cycle, "original" condition would be hard to ascertain even a few years after manufacture.
    That's all I'm saying. I appreciate your skill in aircraft building. I don't make aircraft, but I have made many parts for US Navy aircraft. I made some 2/3rds scale parts for Lockheed once (inlet duct leading edge), and then they claimed that they made them later on. Oh well, it only took three tries to get right.

Wave bub-bub-bub-bye to the boss, it's your profit, it's his loss~ Clash

pourshot's Avatar Senior Member
    Dont know about the spitfire but how about a mustang instead

Thunder Mustang

Ride It Like Ya Stole It

I wonder if these people would be able to quote you.
    http://www.spitfirebuilder.4t.com/catalog.html
    I remember reading in a newspaper about a company who made reproduction Spits about ten? years ago and I think they were selling for about â£1000,000. then.

Taylortony's Avatar Senior Member
    hey chuck i want having a pop either, i was just trying to get accross a lot of parts get manufacured locally and to this extent the whole thing can be, its not difficult, the main prob with a spit is the spar as it is a tapered square tube with a tapered square tube inside it and one in that etc etc

Quoting Taylortony "in its life it has had the engine and chassis replaced the odd wing the interior maybe a chassis, well is it still an original"

Good point!
    I have an old axe that is just like that!
    150 years old and still as good as new.
    The handle has been replaced 3x, the head only 2x and still you'd swear it looks as if it was made yesterday!!

Burma Banshees! 10th AF 88th, 89th & 90th FG
    Dad was a Crew Chief in the 88th.

Huxley_S's Avatar Senior Member
    So you could have a couple of rivets out of an original spit... build the rest from schematics and call it an original, restored aircraft... kinda

FB Music and Campaigns @
    http://www.onemorewild.org/huxley

Taylortony's Avatar Senior Member
    nope because to get a rivet out you destroy it by drilling , basically yes, it is the data plate that is worth the money as they use that to give it its history, u take a gate guardian, you replace the wing due to corrosion, then a spar, a rib or 10, a frame, another skin, engine needs replacing, overhauling etc, oh all instruments need renewing, wiring is new, gear needs overhauling, replace the wheels, tyres ,all the controls, the bearings, the fabric, the fin, repair replace the systems...... sooner or later you have got rid of 99% of it on the way and what you end up with is a new plane with the old plate on it with the odd original bit , but who can say they were not new in the 1950 60 70 80's ..............

PBNA-Boosher's Avatar Senior Member
    um, if you have the money, I'd imagine:

a few millions

Regarding the y2*K Spitfire in BC, I'm curious as to what kind of a rudder it originally had: Broad-chord (pointy) or standard? I wonder if the RAF/RCAF replaced shot up standard rudders with the broad chord ones during the latter part of WWII.

BTW, I remember visiting the warplane heritage museum in Hamilton a few years back, where the tour guide noted that all the bolts in a particular restoration had to be specially manufactured as they were no loger being produced. And then he quoted the cost....