pacmanate's Avatar Senior Member

So, Rino and I decided to brainstorm some ideas for the evolution of Assassin's Creed

Now and then, Rino and I decide to seemingly randomly brainstorm ideas and concepts for Assassin's Creed and today we played around with the next AC game being like "The Witcher." It would be interesting to see how many of you would support our ideas (so far) for an actual EVOLUTION of Assassin's Creed so here are some of our ideas.... so far!

1. Something Assassin's Creed has tried to do over Unity and Syndicate is make the "Open World" comprise of 1 City. Sure, you could class Versailles in Unity as the 2nd City but that place had no activities whatsoever, honestly it baffles me why they even let you go back there seeing as it's just filled with chests. Something that Rino and I loved about previous AC games is that there are multiple cities. They actually FEEL different from one another. I know the developers have tried to keep this in making Paris and Syndicate very large so each borough feels like a different place, but it doesn't seem to work for me.

This is where the idea comes in, related to The Witcher. Why not actually have an Open WORLD. Something Rino and I would like to see is multiple cities seamlessly integrated with a Frontier, some small villages, underground tombs. This sounds SO appealing to me and actually, isn't far off AC1 basically having no load times between the 3 cities and the Kingdom. Along with this you could have bandit raids similar to The Witcher, help travelers, do quests for other people. In short, actually feel like you are in a huge world with freedom to go wherever you please.

2. Exploration and collectibles, the bane of Assassin's Creed. Honestly, there are better ways to encourage exploration rather than bulking your game out with 600+ chests and a bunch of other useless map cluttering crap. Taking inspiration from The Witcher again, how about rewards being swords, short blades, different types of bows (assuming bows is an addition in this fantasy AC we are creating).

In practice, you find a treasure map in a city or find it once looting a dead guard. Upon reading the map you see you have to go to a point in the Fronteir. Climb on your horse and seemlessly exit the city into the outside world. You think it's all going to be easy as per, but neigh! The map leads you to a bandit settlement where you have to kill or sneak past everyone and find an entrance to an underground tomb. Again, there are more obstacles in your way as bandits are down here too. This situation however allows you to explore and parkour in a completely new place in search of a reward that will actually BENEFIT you, and lets be honest, how is this not more fun that finding 1/600 chests and getting a pointless reward?

So what do you guys think? Would you support the idea of an Open World being an actual world and for exploration/collectibles being tied in a different way?

D.I.D.'s Avatar Senior Member
    I'm into multiple cities. What I don't like so much is being Bear Grylls. I don't want to be a rural explorer, and I don't want to be in the countryside for too long. I don't want to be crafting a bigger rucksack from mongoose hides, or strangling a pelican to make a nicer pair of trousers.

I'm playing The Witcher 3 right now, and it's finally earned its place. It took 19 hours before I got a single fight that felt remotely troublesome or reaction-based (Werewolf mission, when I was at Level 4), and past the 20 hours mark until I got a quest that felt interesting (Keira). Until then it was beautiful landscapes broken up by irritating menus and appalling world structure (Armorers of different levels with very specific abilities and stock? Who thought this was fun?). I don't want to have swords I can't use until I reach a certain level. I don't want tonics that have to be made out of several rare ingredients. TW3 gets away with a hell of a lot, and the thought of AC designers being enamoured with it makes me nervous.

I hate this "journeyman" wilderness thing. I want to be an assassin. I want interesting missions where I head into a big building with a complex interior and have to beat enormous odds to reach my target. I want exciting chases when I'm getting out of there (or sweaty-palmed stealth to get out unseen, I don't mind).

I do like TW3's information gathering. The only thing I like about looting is the rare moment you find (or buy) books and scrolls which you then read and get new abilities, new missions, etc. That's really good. I'd like that in AC.

pacmanate's Avatar Senior Member
    That's why I didn't mention leveling or skill trees, I'm not up for that stuff in an AC game and never will be. And that's also why I didn't mention crafting. Most of the stuff in your post I didn't even mention as things that I want in AC so that's 3 of your Witcher issues out straight away

m4r-k7's Avatar Senior Member
    Yep agree with all your points, especially point 1. From the 4chan guy it sounds like there will be villages, boat travel, wilderness, sandstorms etc so our wish may come true. I am imagining AC 3 but on a more seamless and bigger scale. I have always wanted the AC 1 style on a larger scale - Great and unique cities seperated by an explorable kingdom. I hope they encourage the use of parkour throughout the world though even though horses will be present.

(if this whole rumor turns out to be true of course)

I'm a fan of the multiple cities idea, I believe I mentioned it already in an earlier thread earlier last week.

Paris and London, especially Paris, were lovely but after sometime you get that claustrophobic feeling, a feeling that everything is slowly becoming old.

It would also be nice if different cities = different type of enemies. One piece of Syndicate criticism I agreed with is that all enemies are the same, you cannot really tell who is stronger than the other.

As for the Witcher, I played it for a few hours, it's overwhelming, not sure I would be interested in something that huge in AC, or maybe yes, it all depends on how well it's done at the end of the day.

D.I.D.'s Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by pacmanate Go to original post
    That's why I didn't mention leveling or skill trees, I'm not up for that stuff in an AC game and never will be. And that's also why I didn't mention crafting. Most of the stuff in your post I didn't even mention as things that I want in AC so that's 3 of your Witcher issues out straight away
    Good, I'm glad you're in charge of exactly where the game is going with this Witcher influence then. I shall rest easy.

dxsxhxcx's Avatar Senior Member
    I'm with D.I.D on the "journeyman" issue, I don't hate it (this is a must in RPGs but Assassin's Creed isn't one and shouldn't try to be), but IMO Assassin's Creed shines in urban environments and not rural ones, seamlessly going from one city to another would be cool, but not a requirement for me, I'm all for some missions in the countryside, but I don't want them to become a chore after some time, the focus should stay in the cities.

I've been saying for some time that I want multiple cities back, never really liked the concept of one huge city per game, IMO this will also do wonders for the story (and its pace) as well, so I'm all for it.

About collectibles and rewards, yes, IMO we should have a lot less collectibles (specially the pointless ones such as chests and flags) and the ones that are kept, should have a little story attached to them. Quality over quantity should be the norm here.

The story was always a selling point for me in AC, so I don't mind if we have fewer weapons to choose, I don't mind having more optins to choose either, but I don't think they should waste much time here, I don't need 52 types of swords (just for variety' sake), give me 4 or 5 and I'll be perfectly fine with it. Sometimes less is more.

ps: Crafting should never return to this franchise.

cawatrooper9's Avatar AC Forum Moderator
    1. People have been wanting multiple cities back for a while now. I personally really hope they return, but I hope we get a wilderness also worth exploring.

2. I think it would be cool if chests (alongside money and crafting materials) had new unique weapons. It would be much better than, for instance, finding a Viking Sword fragment and needing a dozen or so more before it actually meant anything.

In my opinion, Rogue went way too crazy with collectibles. There were so many collectibles for different things- the Viking Sword stuff, the Templar Crusader stuff... having so many different collectibles basically forced the good old "McDonalds Monopoly" principle- you might get the majority of what you need to complete something, but you'll probably not get it all, and it's all or nothing. Besides, by the time someone had found all of the collectibles of a type, they'd almost assuredly beaten the short Rogue campaign. So yeah, no more of that please.

Originally Posted by cawatrooper9 Go to original post
    In my opinion, Rogue went way too crazy with collectibles. There were so many collectibles for different things- the Viking Sword stuff, the Templar Crusader stuff... having so many different collectibles basically forced the good old "McDonalds Monopoly" principle- you might get the majority of what you need to complete something, but you'll probably not get it all, and it's all or nothing. Besides, by the time someone had found all of the collectibles of a type, they'd almost assuredly beaten the short Rogue campaign. So yeah, no more of that please.
    In all fairness I always found the problem of the "way too many collectibles" a no-problem but I do agree with the "give me a reason to go after it" conclusion. Just like "The Truth" in AC2.

Funnily enough Rogue is the only game where I gave up chasing all those collectibles you mentioned, also because some are in some very awkward places.

But in the end, I definitely agree with the idea of collectibles that give you something other than money in return, something you can actually use.

One other nice feature I would love to see is to have main missions introduced in a trailer-like fashion. Not sure how feasible it is but one thing AC fans always agree on are how jaw-dropping trailers are. Having that type of cinematic before a main mission would be nice instead of a "simple" cutscene.

I strongly approve both of those points !

My guess is that the map will have the Nile going through the center and you can use it for transportation. Then there will be some places like Abu Simbel, Karnak and Memphis along the Nile you can visit (just as the frontier it will be a heavily compressed version ofc). Then there will be some desert areas. The desert will probably be a bit like the oceans in AC4 in that they are home to random events like say caravans, bandits and what not. And there will be sprinkled some oasis, or other smaller settlements/tombs etc. I really hope for the bringing back of tombs. More focus on adventuring a la PoP and a bit less stealth/combat.

As for your second point I couldn't agree more and have been very vocal about that in the past . When you explore you should find either resources (generic rewards for generic activities) or handcrafted gear (handracfted rewards for handcrafted activities).

Page 1 of 7 123 ... Last ►►