"Forget Prince of Persia, it will never come back" - Ubi employee says

Okay so seems like there is a pretty plausible rumor going on all around the internet: a Ubi employee says there won't be a new main AC game this year. He was also asked about Prince of Persia and this is what he had to say:

Forget Prince of Persia. It will never come back. The reason why AC exists at all is because PoP meant Ubi has to pay for license, since they don't own the IP. AC is Ubi's own IP, so merchandising and all that **** is theirs to keep. PoP is financially not worth it.
    Source: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost...86&postcount=1

When it comes to owning the IP he's only partially right if I know correctly: the IP is owned by Jordan Mechner so yes, Ubi has to license that from him in order to develop a new game but it is Ubi that owns the Prince of Persia name since they bought the Broderbund portfolio.

Anyway I'd say this opinion holds some water but I can't imagine that a whole franchise would be dropped simply because it needs a license. That would be dumb.

"I can't imagine that a whole franchise would be dropped simply because it needs a license. That would be dumb. "
    Yes that would be ******ed!
    If they dont want to make a new POP they should sell the game to other company like the Sony Computer Entertainment.

Grafferu's Avatar Senior Member
    Damn, 2 contradictory pieces of information at once =)))
    ''POP lives''
    ''POP is dead''

"Jordan Mechner " how much license fees you have asked from ubisoft ?

Seems ubisoft are scared to pay you .

PERSIAforTW's Avatar Member
    The license fees explain why Ubi wanted to replace Pop as it's main franchise and why AC has gone annual after its financial success but that really is a lame excuse to completely drop a franchise that has had success and has a lot of unexplored potential.I mean if that's the case then EA should drop all its licensed titles ,Telltale should go out of business and Shadow of Mordor also "isn't worth the trouble financially"

Please, dont hate me for saying this,but i think the main problem here is that Jordan Mechner doesnt want new PoP game.Looks like he dont even want to talk about it ....

PERSIAforTW's Avatar Member
    BTW Tom Clancy's games are all lincenced. No problem with fees there, they make at least one every year and they even introduce new franchises like the Division

So back to this thread, the developer was right about AC 2016. I don´t see why he would be wrong about POP.
    Farewell.

I guess I need to give up my life since there's no POP. This title means a world to me. Goodbye!

Regards,
    Solo

Facebook:
    https://www.facebook.com/tariq.mulla.73

Google:
    https://plus.google.com/u/0/+TariqMulla

There can be only 1 PLATFORMER game and that one is AC... They want to kill the AC Francise by releasing this movie out of it, let's hope it will be a failure like every other movie after game and they concentrate about PoP