🛈 Announcement
Greetings! Ghost-Recon forums are now archived and accessible in read-only mode, please go to the new platform to discuss the game.

"Season Pass"

As is the will of the evolution of computer games, season pass is the 'in thing', but rumours of Rainbow 6: Siege season pass wording stating 'One year' of access rather than the usual 'unlimited access' has gotten my alarm bells ringing.

Before now, the price of keeping me entertained has steadily risen from a modest outlay, to what is now quite a significant outlay in respect to earnings. I was once of the opinion that DLC should be free, but am happy to concede the point in the respect of development time and the costs therein.

However, for that DLC to be time limited seriously alienates me from the whole gaming platform. In business terms, I get it. Software licenses in the business world work that way. But gaming has never worked that way. It certainly shouldn't go down this route I am seeing of:

1) Pay £80 for special edition with Season Pass
    2) Charge for unlockable content (if you don't want to spend time earning it)
    3) Annual 'season pass' charge to continue using content

I hope the rumours I am hearing, are proven wrong...or a U-turn is made. It had been my intention to place a pre-order this month for The Division, but I have now put that on hold pending clarification on the Season Pass terminology.

I hope / would like it clarified that Wildlands doesn't plan to adopt such a strategy!?

SuperBiscotCOT's Avatar Senior Member
    Also what do you think a season pass for GR WL will bring ?
    New weapons, new camos, new part of the map, boosters, ...

I have to admit that I don't realy know what kind of content for GR WL can be included in a season pass. Maybe some of you have good ideas ?

The Seasonal thing is not necessarily new.. Destiny is doing it as well but they made it a hardcopy release with The Taken King to advertise it as more than just a separation between Year 1 and Year 2. Rumor pipeline also suggests Black Ops III will also be the first Call of Duty title to do this as well. With that being said though, I am 100% on board with a Season Pass for Wildlands.

When a game like Wildlands has a fixed budget, and expectations to meet at launch, there needs to be a way for more money to come in to increase the longevity and shelf life of the title. That's why, back in the early 2000's, rentable servers were the big thing. Now, it's micro transactions and yearly Season Pass content cycles.

Im not huge on PVP anymore as much as I used to, so I am looking forward to more story elements to play with friends, a cool new piece of tech to use in the field, or even just some cosmetic garb to make me look slick. Im a simple man, it takes so little.

Its the way of Gaming that EA has pushed and all other devs are following - get the customer to pay $60+ for a game, and then an extra $5-20 a month for "new content"

Remeber when they use to release a full game for $40-50 on the Orginal Xbox? and now it can't be done.... or they're getting lazy and money hungry?

SuperBiscotCOT's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by Ghost Sniper33 Go to original post
    Its the way of Gaming that EA has pushed and all other devs are following
    I will just correct your sentence : the devs don't realy choose this it's more the marketing guys

Originally Posted by SuperBiscotCOT Go to original post
    I will just correct your sentence : the devs don't realy choose this it's more the marketing guys
    Fair enough, its a bit of Both, Dev's don't have hard deadlines anymore - its get the game 80% done and have DLC waiting on launch day

Marketing guys figured out we're all suckers who keep paying

and yes as much as I complain I'll more then likely end up paying over $100 for this game and all its extras because I'm a sucker hoping it'll get better

briangade's Avatar Member
    The more I hear of this game the more I'm leaning towards not getting it at all or wait until a hefty price drop.And that makes me sad, on paper this should be my kind of game but here we are.

After the season pass to Unity and watch dogs I'm done,there is no more trust to be had.

I really hope Ubi will release information down the line that will make my fears go away,so I can get back on the yay train again.

ES-Ulukai's Avatar Senior Member
    If it was for me, no dlc or season pass, just modding tool for the community and I'll be happy to pay for add-ons like Desert Siege and Island Thunder for Ghost Recon one. Because give real content for a game and for a justified price.

The Witchers 3 alone offers you between 25 - 150 hours of gameplay, free dlc for the owners and the season pass offers you 2 add-ons for a total of 30 hours gameplay for 25€/$

The SDK it self guarantee the longevity of a game for the changes it offers for solo and multiplayer ! Add to this dedicated servers that you can host or rent and boom the game is played for years !

Originally Posted by Ghost Sniper33 Go to original post
    Its the way of Gaming that EA has pushed and all other devs are following - get the customer to pay $60+ for a game, and then an extra $5-20 a month for "new content"

Remeber when they use to release a full game for $40-50 on the Orginal Xbox? and now it can't be done.... or they're getting lazy and money hungry?

You're right, it used to be buy once, get the lot.

Games today, aren't the same as they were. Cinematic trailers, live-motion capture, big-budget voice actors all contribute to the rising costs. I don't mind paying a reasonable sum for all this goodness. But I do begrudge potentially then paying an annual or monthly fee to then access additional content, that used to be all bundled with the game from the get-go.

Now, not only do I have to pay this princely sum for myself, but then also for my teenager if he wants the game on whatever platform is flavour of the month.

I just want value for money.

Originally Posted by M_Ulukai Go to original post
    If it was for me, no dlc or season pass, just modding tool for the community and I'll be happy to pay for add-ons like Desert Siege and Island Thunder for Ghost Recon one. Because give real content for a game and for a justified price.

The Witchers 3 alone offers you between 25 - 150 hours of gameplay, free dlc for the owners and the season pass offers you 2 add-ons for a total of 30 hours gameplay for 25€/$

The SDK it self guarantee the longevity of a game for the changes it offers for solo and multiplayer ! Add to this dedicated servers that you can host or rent and boom the game is played for years !
    These days though the two Microsoft platforms are tight-knit so something like this would be absolutely amazing to see, so long as the content was vetted. But therein lies the rub.

Resources would need to be dedicated to this, which incurs cost, but that's a good cost that I suspect many of us wouldn't mind paying for.
    I asked for the same thing with GRAW2 once GRFS got delayed. The request was not helped in those days by the way Microsoft validated application submissions, so it was never likely to see the light of day. Now though, you'd think this approach would be achievable.