View Poll Results: This is a request not complaint being a huge Bomber fan I feel we need all of the Bombers flyable.T

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Flyable Bombers

35 94.59%
  • Vs Flyable Fighters

2 5.41%

I think in next patches, B5N and Avenger will be flyable.

Four engine bombers is very difficult of modelling, but... is possible...

Is a great dream...

VW-IceFire's Avatar Senior Member
    Flyable bombers would indeed be great...but there's a downside too. Even the A-20 was under development for a very long time and it only has a couple of stations.

The development of a B-17 would in effect be the effort of building more than 10 single seat fighters. That effectively would in theory, remove all of the USAAF fighters present. So add in the rest of those bombers and bamo...you just have a bomber sim. Not everyone wants to fly bombers either...although I do symapthize with your cause (I'm a bit of a low alt tactical fighter-bomber guy myself). Realism is important too.

I would think many bomber guys would be happy with the B-25, A-20, and G4M being flyable...since those were the workhorses of the Pacific. And then there is the Beaufighter, not really a level bomber, but a twin engined ground pounder nonetheless...I look forward to flying many missions in that plane. So few seem to mention it.

RAF No 92 Squadron
    "Either fight or die"

[This message was edited by VW-IceFire on Mon September 13 2004 at 09:31 AM.]

Tater-SW-'s Avatar Senior Member
    Yeah, cockpits are harder than the planes themselves, and some gunner stations are as complicated as a full cockpit. I think I read gibbage saying that the blisters in the PBY were as tough or tougher than whole fighter cockpits.

So even a medium bomber needs cockpit, bombadier/nosegun, turret, tail gun, 2xwaist gun. Sheer back of envelope stuff here, but say the bomber external is 1.5 times as hard as a single engine plane. Cockpit is as hard as the external. Call gun stations 1/2 as hard as external for arguments sake. Fighter is 2 units, med bomber is 1.5+1+5.5=8 units, that's the work of 4 fighters. Large bombers might be more like 4.5 fighters.

Not saying I wouldn't like to see as many flyable bombers as possible, but it's an awful lot of work. <S> to all the modellers out there.

tater

I agree and understand that the bombers would be a difficult task to manage, but hey! Someone may be willing to get a little "Bomber modelling team" together in the near future?
    I wont hold my breath, but i will vote for bombers!

Actionhank
    ~Aaron White

xTHRUDx's Avatar Senior Member
    a suggestion that was brought up in the past that the community seemed to like was to build just the cockpit and the bombardier's station and leave the gunners spots as AI. this would reduce the build time and get them in the game sooner. the gunners stations could be added later.

Same as Hank here. Quite the nightmare, but I would think that there is something of a loyal legion here who would shell out the money for such an expansion. Any takers for this project?

Al - SF, Calif

"Defense Dept regrets to inform you that your sons are dead cause they were stupid."

Tater-SW-'s Avatar Senior Member
    The AI-only gunner spots is a good idea, hadn't thought of that. I imagine that a larger bomber cockpit is also harder to do since you can see both crew stations even if you can't occupy the copilot.

tater

Very good points from all. If development is an issue then, I prefer having the attack planes flyable first (Vals, Kates, Devastator, Dauntless, Avenger, etc.) the medium bombers next and lastly the biggest targets in the sky (B-17 and B-29), ha ha.

I want to take out a ship, and the attack planes are where it's at!

LW_Black4