View Poll Results: Multiple factions per team?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • You can play as different faction than your team

18 48.65%
  • You can not play as a different faction then your team

17 45.95%
  • I do not care

2 5.41%

Playing as different factions in a team

While I have not played this game I have gathered that one team can not have multiple factions in it. I think this is a setback to preferable multiplayer as it could be hard to find good players or at least friends who want to play the same faction. This is why I think you should be able to play as any faction you want in gameplay irrelevant to your team. Realistically different people would have different fighting styles where some would be more defensive and some would be more offensive. Each team could have a piece of armor like a helmet or a cloth or whatever that could identify them as part of a team if the colors are not enough.

Thanks.

MisterWillow's Avatar Senior Member
    Absolutely not.

It undermines the entire premise behind having factions in the first place. It just becomes the Red Team vs the Blue Team without any of the underlying subtext or flavour that comes from having a team of Knights fight a team of Vikings.

The major theme of the game is clearly three warring armies fighting against one another, and you, as a player, picking a side to be on, based upon a philosophical or other underlying identification or connection with what Jason has repeatedly called 'warrior legacies'. Every bit of media I've seen, every interview, has been Jason or another representative expressing a desire for the player to look inside themselves and find what faction they identify with, what expresses their inner warrior, and what they value in combat. Are you a Knight that values the chivalric tradition of protecting the weak, a Viking that values the freedom of expression that comes with any good brawl, or a Samurai that values immense discipline and respect for the art itself? That's the sort of vein the dev team seems to want to tap into---or at least that has been Jason's very impassioned pitch.

The other important, but more of a background, theme figures itself very strongly in the age-old question of 'who would win in a fight?' and that question is negated completely once you allow a Samurai to fight alongside a Knight, and the two of them to fight alongside a Viking, since it does nothing to answer that question lingering in the back of every player's head---as it then just becomes four people fighting each other, and one team winning, rather than the Vikings besting the Knights (because, let's be honest, that's what will happen {yes I said it, come at me }) <------ There see that? A jibe like that would be reduced nearly, if not entirely, to meaninglessness if I had two Knights on my team.

If you're having problems finding people to play with in your desired faction, check the forums and make some friends. I'm hopeful that activity will pick back up in the faction-specific threads once more info/gameplay is released concerning everything (and certainly around beta/release time), so that shouldn't be too much of a problem. We also aren't sure how you're going to pick a faction in-game---I suggested they do it a bit like Planetside 2 a while ago---so it could be easy to play a few rounds with friends as a Samurai and then have everyone switch to a Viking (the winning faction) after a while, so that everyone gets to play who they want to, and I'm hoping it's simple to switch, because even though I have a very obvious Viking bias, all three factions are intriguing, and I'd like to try everyone out---which isn't an unpopular position around here, either, as I've seen multiple posts saying either they want to play everyone or are undecided and want to try a couple to find a preference.

Originally Posted by VernalBreak Go to original post
    Realistically different people would have different fighting styles where some would be more defensive and some would be more offensive.
    That's why there are classes within the factions. Some are probably going to be offensive (Oni), some will be balanced (Warden), some will probably be more oriented to distance (polearms), or soaking up damage (shield-bearers), but they all will probably also have analogues in other factions, and each faction, given the limited amount of information we have, seems to have differences that make them distinct from one another, even if they have classes that vaguely correspond with each other---Samurai are faster, Knights are more defensive, Vikings will probably be more aggressive---further reducing the need to mix the factions within teams.

Layer_13's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by VernalBreak Go to original post
    While I have not played this game I have gathered that one team can not have multiple factions in it.
    In the closed alpha, you can choose any hero of any faction to play as in the lobby. The matches are red vs blue, not faction vs faction. So, if you want, your team can consist of half Chosens and half Legions. There's no restrictions.

But that's for the dominion mode. There might be other game modes that are faction restrictive.

MisterWillow's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by Fatal-Feit Go to original post
    In the closed alpha, you can choose any hero of any faction to play as in the lobby. The matches are red vs blue, not faction vs faction. So, if you want, your team can consist of half Chosens and half Legions. There's no restrictions.

But that's for the dominion mode. There might be other game modes that are faction restrictive.
    That could also be entirely for testing purposes, though. There's only two playable classes, and it's probably easier and faster on both ends to allow people to pick and play whichever of the two choices available they want than segregate the factions and have you as a player wait to be paired with three others of a matching faction.

It should depend on what you are playing.

A casual bit of dominion? sure.
    Some sort of ranked/faction based matchmaking? Probably not.

Though we've yet to see more of what For Honor has to offer, in a game with 3 varying factions, I would be surprised if there wasn't some sort of 'faction warfare' mode.
    It's been done several times in other games, Something like where players fight for a specific faction, battles won and lost determine territory gained/lost on a global territory map.

At least, that's something I'd want

Originally Posted by Fatal-Feit Go to original post
    That honestly would be the most logical solution to the situation. Allow a match to be set to either restrict factions or have a free-for-all. I don't see a downside from a player perspective in allowing both options.

No

This will undermine team tactics against a special Class plus will reduce the historical accuracy of the game.

If the game was ever supposed to be historically accurate vikings would not be fighting samurai. Adding the ability to play as who you want is making the game no less historically accurate.

New game mode for mixed teams?

I don't think the aspect of mixed teams is completely out. What about a new game mode called something like "Rebels" or "Banished" where disgraced warriors fight with there enemies to gain control or power? I would really enjoy playing as my character (#IamSamurai) whilst still having the traits of the knight and the viking to back me up. This game mode would be enjoyable and I hope you take my idea into consideration!!!!!

Yes of course! Why not? AS AN OPTION. I hope, there will be detailes options for hosting a match. There should be as many options and possibilities as possible. When you don't like mixed teams, then just don't join or host such matches...

The fixed factions are a stupid argument. When ever have these three factions fought in history against each other (ok, vikings and knights to a certain degree in the early middle ages, but there there were no heavyly armored knights and twohanders were invented and used in the high middle ages)? Homogeneous teams are as logical or unlogical as inhomogeneous ones.