1. #131
    zaxcv4321's Avatar Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,068
    Originally Posted by The_Working_Man Go to original post
    I don't think anyone is defending Skillet here, as much as questioning/challenging the label itself that you continue to use in describing their music. Honestly it seems a bit of a strawman to label their music as such and then commence to light mockery that they would make that type of music.

    In the discussions I alluded to above, I'm pretty sure I recall your agreement that trying to put music into the various categories does little more than incite tribalism, yet in this case you seem content to choose your side rather than thinking critically about the suitability of the label for the songs in question. I get that other people might be using that label as well, but it doesn't seem like you to blindly follow along without seeking to validate the initial conditions of the argument.
    Maybe you can refresh me on what you think the argument is: I perceive some lose language, some overreacting, some attempts at humor, but no real logic, conjecture or anything that warrants critical thinking or a "strawman" charge. Maybe it is a combination of me underthinking and you overthinking the content in the thread. I don't see enough to consider this a debate, let alone something that warrants sides in an argument.
    Share this post

  2. #132
    The_Working_Man's Avatar Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Kansas City, USA
    Posts
    3,836
    Originally Posted by dro45 Go to original post
    Maybe you can refresh me on what you think the argument is: I perceive some lose language, some overreacting, some attempts at humor, but no real logic, conjecture or anything that warrants critical thinking or a "strawman" charge. Maybe it is a combination of me underthinking and you overthinking the content in the thread. I don't see enough to consider this a debate, let alone something that warrants sides in an argument.
    Maybe so. In post #121 you refer to a perceived questioning and defense of Skillet regarding the "Christian Metal" label. That's what I'm referring to as well.

    In case you were asking from a litteral perspective "Why the label of Christian Metal?" It's marketing. It tells people what they should identify with and like and buy. The artists just make the music, they don't put the label on it. The label is the record company's way of pushing an opinion into people who are too dim to form their own, whether it fits the music or not.
    Share this post

  3. #133
    The_Lexx's Avatar Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    338
    Considering the group themselves have been quoted as saying they believe they have been called to spread the word of Jesus, I think they certainly fit the label of Christian Hard Rock. They look like a lovely bunch of kids doing their thing for the Lord.

    God Bless them all.

    Share this post

  4. #134
    toreyj01's Avatar Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    444
    Originally Posted by The_Working_Man Go to original post
    Maybe so. In post #121 you refer to a perceived questioning and defense of Skillet regarding the "Christian Metal" label. That's what I'm referring to as well.

    In case you were asking from a litteral perspective "Why the label of Christian Metal?" It's marketing. It tells people what they should identify with and like and buy. The artists just make the music, they don't put the label on it. The label is the record company's way of pushing an opinion into people who are too dim to form their own, whether it fits the music or not.
    Well, this doesn't go for Catholics (we listen to just about anything) but for some of the stricter Christian sects they aren't encouraged to listen to a lot of Rock and Roll which is brandished as immoral and can sicken the soul. So if someone labels themselves as being Christian friendly thats music they can buy and enjoy.

    And there is definitely enough Christians out there who feel this way that labeling your band Christian means a nice dedicated target audience with little competition. If you want Christian Metal, you're going to buy Skillet. And I have no problem with this, it beats what they were doing in the 80s when they were trying to censor music (the PMRC) they found demonic, like the song "Sugar Walls", The funny thing was those labels they wound up getting on albums just helped us buyers know which albums were the good ones.
    Share this post

  5. #135
    zaxcv4321's Avatar Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,068
    Originally Posted by The_Lexx Go to original post
    Considering the group themselves have been quoted as saying they believe they have been called to spread the word of Jesus, I think they certainly fit the label of Christian Hard Rock. They look like a lovely bunch of kids doing their thing for the Lord.

    God Bless them all.
    I state this partially as an agitator, but also with a glimmer of sincerity:
    Who would be offended by a hard-rock/heavy-metal group with completely agnostic or vague lyrics that labels themselves as:
    "Reason Rock".

    Their mission: to make rock music and spread the word of reason, rationality, logic, mathematics, science, and compassion for your fellow creatures.
    To evangelize the core concepts of humanism and freethinking, and celebrate the beauty of the scientific method.

    Reason Rock!!! Who is with me?
    Share this post

  6. #136
    MartynQ's Avatar Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Fife, United Kingdom
    Posts
    820
    Originally Posted by dro45 Go to original post
    I state this partially as an agitator, but also with a glimmer of sincerity:
    Who would be offended by a hard-rock/heavy-metal group with completely agnostic or vague lyrics that labels themselves as:
    "Reason Rock".

    Their mission: to make rock music and spread the word of reason, rationality, logic, mathematics, science, and compassion for your fellow creatures.
    To evangelize the core concepts of humanism and freethinking, and celebrate the beauty of the scientific method.

    Reason Rock!!! Who is with me?
    I'm in favour... of course, for full disclosure, I am a mathematician, so will always be positive about spreading the word of reason, rationality, logic, science, compassion and especially mathematics.
    Share this post

  7. #137
    Mr_Scrogger's Avatar Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    U.S. Texoma
    Posts
    200
    Ahh... Good ol' School-House Rock. Almost as good as the Saturday morning cartoons they were interspersed between. I doubt many here will remember those, but I still have many of those shorts stuck in my head.

    *wanders off singing "Conjunction junction, what's your function?"*
    Share this post

  8. #138
    flynlion's Avatar Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,137
    Originally Posted by Mr_Scrogger Go to original post
    Ahh... Good ol' School-House Rock. Almost as good as the Saturday morning cartoons they were interspersed between. I doubt many here will remember those, but I still have many of those shorts stuck in my head.

    *wanders off singing "Conjunction junction, what's your function?"*

    Share this post

  9. #139
    zaxcv4321's Avatar Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,068
    Originally Posted by MartynQ Go to original post
    I'm in favour... of course, for full disclosure, I am a mathematician, so will always be positive about spreading the word of reason, rationality, logic, science, compassion and especially mathematics.
    There is a small percentage of us that know the beauty, power, symmetry and poetry of theoretic mathematics.

    If there is anything popular culture desperately needs, it is for mathematics and science to become sexy!
    Share this post

  10. #140
    Danny-Ramone's Avatar Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Lancashire, UK
    Posts
    1,904
    Share this post