Popping and static noise observation. PS4

My solution and how I came up with it.

I have been having a really frustrating time with the realtone cable intermittently. Sometimes when I was playing, and with increasing frequency, the notes from my guitar would snap, crackle and pop almost like static. The game also showed animated static sparks coming from the amps on the screen. This made it difficult to tune, note recognition was terrible in-game, and I really wasn't enjoying the game or getting better for awhile. At other, less frequent times, the notes seemed very crisp and clean.

I had read numerous threads about the issue, including the one about re-calibrating, with very limited results. I tried changing cables (I already had two,) and that seemed to work once but the problem came back. I tried switching the plug I used on the front of the PS4, and I thought I had found that the problem was the USB on the game machine itself, but the problem came back. However, I have finally found a pattern (I hope.)

After a thorough basement cleaning when guests were coming over, I had unplugged the cable and hung it up to keep things neat. The next time I played, the notes were crisp and clean, but not the time after that. It turns out that when I left the cable plugged in while not it use, I would have static the next time I played and when I unplugged the cable it would be clean sound when I did plug in. I also noticed an almost imperceptible difference in the temperature of the little square box inline on the cable and the rest of the cable itself.

(When I turn off the PS4, I always leave it in "Rest Mode" to charge the controller which may also contribute to the issue.)

I believe (hope) that leaving the cable plugged in to the PS4 is allowing voltage to heat up the components of the cable and hurting its performance. Unplugging the cable between uses appears to have solved my problem.

Sorry for the long post, but I thought it might help someone else in the future.

rcole_sooner's Avatar Moderator
    The on screen graphics (sound waves coming from the speakers) have nothing to do pops and crackles from the guitar/cable.

Pops and crackles happen. Figuring out why is harder. It could be a loose connection/jack on the guitar. It could be a bad cable. It could be dirty volume pots on the guitar. It could be a lot of things.

Make sure the cable is snug in the guitar and the jack is not loose. Test this connection by gently trying to wiggle the cable plug at the jack on the guitar. If it makes the noise then there is a loose connection.

Maybe just try moving the cord around to see if movement causes the noise, if so then there may be an issue with the cable. Maybe a simple as static from the carpet ... you can try wiping the cable with a dryer sheet or putting something under the cable to keep it off the floor (especially carpet). Or it could just be weak or broken wires in the cable ... which would mean needing a new cable ... or fixing the cable by soldering a new plug on (as the wires usually break at the guitar 1/4" plug end).

The trick is figure out what specific actions cause the noise to happen.

Originally Posted by rcole_sooner Go to original post
    The on screen graphics (sound waves coming from the speakers) have nothing to do pops and crackles from the guitar/cable.
    It certainly seems to show far more sparks when I am having issues with pop and crackle. I think it is a visual representation of the noise and not a cause.

The trick is figure out what specific actions cause the noise to happen.
    Thank-you for your reply, but I believe you have misunderstood my post and I will try to edit it for clarity. My post was meant to tell others my solution for the issue, in case they had run into a similar or identical set of circumstances.

rcole_sooner's Avatar Moderator
    Yeah, I am just gonna disagree.

I just don't see how what you posted is a real solution to anything.

It actually sounds like you have some environment issues that need sorting out. like static and such.

I can guarantee you the screen graphics are only showing any signal from the guitar, and not indicating noise vs clean signal.

No matter what I say. you can contact ubisoft support if you want "real" support. The link is in my sig.

Maybe a simple as static from the carpet ... .
    That has been my issue with these cables especially during the winter months. I walk across the carpet to pick up the cable a lighting bolt jumps from my finger tips and the electronics in the cable are fried. Snap, Crackle and Pop is all you hear after that happens. I have created a grounding plate that the end of the cable lays on to discharge the static electricity before I touch my cables.

Predictable and repeatable

Just to prove to myself that I am not crazy, I decided to test my above theory with a video camera. Below you will see the clarity of the sound from my guitar through the Rocksmith cable first when just plugged into the PS4, then when left plugged in over night and finally, after then being unplugged over night. The videos also show that I was mistaken about the increase in the virtual sparks coming from the virtual speakers. The only difference between these tests is the plugged in / not plugged in overnight. Same guitar, same room, same position of the cord and how it lay in the room and its proximity to other electronics and furniture. I grounded myself each time.

In addition, I tested the temperature of the cable with an infrared thermometer at the USB plug, the Ubisoft plastic section in the middle, and the guitar end (on the plastic, not the metal.)

The Day one temperature showed only a maximum of 1.2 degrees Celsius variation between all three sections of the cable after making the video and playing for about a 1/2 hour. However, on the second day, after being plugged in all night, I measured a temperature difference between the guitar end and the other spots of 5.4 degrees (Ubisoft) and 4.7 degrees (USB). These are not huge numbers, but a definite difference.

In the first video, notice the sound is fairly clean and the meter doesn't show much movement in the frequency:

In the second, after being plugged in all night, the notes seem to have a lot of static, and the frequency jumps around on the meter (at times it has been worse than this):

And lastly, the notes are back to being crisp and clear after the cable was unplugged all night:

Not the solution to every ones problems, but also not my imagination.

bradiam's Avatar Senior Member
    Out of curiosity, what are the power save settings on your PS4 set to? You can have it shut off the USB ports after 3 hours, have them always on, or have them always off when in rest mode.

If they are always on, that would mean that they are always providing a charge to your cable when the console is in rest mode. I don't know that this would cause the issues you are mentioning, but it could be worth looking into.

In regards to the cables being a bit fragile, I have mine run from the console into a cheap korg tuner, and a separate cable coming out of there to my guitar. That way my cable never sees much movement. I don't know how effective it is, but I am still using the same one I got on launch day of RS1 with no issues.

A solution that works for me

(Edit - First solution is wrong, the second one maybe better)

I had the same problem with my first and new cable that is 3 days old. Reading this thread, I figured there was static building on the wire without a way to ground it. You just need to release this static to a piece of metal.

So I tried to ground it. I did by unplugging the round and weird connector near the USB end. There is 3 thickening in the wire at the USB end, the connector is the first one. I then touch my aluminum amplifier with the metal part of the connector. Any piece of metal that is large and nude (no coating) should do the trick. This release any free charge in the wire and did solve my problem.

Maybe grounding via the jack end of the wire could also do the trick.

Let me know if it solves the problem for you too.

Edit :

After facing the problem again, I found that my said "solution" does not work at all. So I kept looking. I found that a smilar problem exist on PC and is software related. Something like the buffer is filling to fast. Sources :

https://www.reddit.com/r/rocksmith/c...ts_worse_over/
    http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php...ration-and-FAQ (trouble shooting section at the end)

Playing on PS4, we don't have the liberty to play in the configuration. It seems a RS update could solve this?

Edit 2 :

Since the problem on PC seems to be related to the computer being unable to process all the sound information quick enough, I thought that maybe the PS4 could have the same problem. So in the last few days, I've tried to turn off my PS4 between my play sessions instead of leaving it on standby so that it's running a minimum of processes. I'm not 100% confident that it is solving the problem entirely, but up to now it seems to work.

I've also read somewhere that starting the PS4 in recovery mode could work.

Hi Some members of the rocksmith community on ps4 have talked about this. I originally thought maybe it was the cable or a guitar however I have this game one xbox 360 and ps4(where all my dlc is unfortunatley). If I unplug the realtone cable and plug it into the xbox no pops at all. So it is someting with rocksmith and the ps4.
    Here is a half assed fix. It helps but does not fix the problem.
    Start rocksmith up
    2. hit ps button to bring up menu
    3. Goto Settings
    4. Goto Sound and Screen
    5 goto Audio Output Settings and hit x button to go into it.
    6. Hit primary Output Port hit the x button to go into it.
    7. Hit the HDMI option to turn it on. then goto the Digital out (optical) option to turn it back on. Toggle this on and off a couple times and then leave it with your Digital out(Optical) selected then go back out and into the game your static will be much less or even gone. you may have to do every time you play the game and sometimes more than once while you are playing.

I learned about this from someone on Learning With Rocksmith community on ps4. Not sure what causes the problem but I know this is a ps4 issue(original) not sure about pro.

Thank you!!!

I did all you suggested and it WORKED! You are not mad... it IS the static build up in the cable. I was leaving mine plugged in 24/7. Followed your advice and put the cable away every night. What a relief! With head phones on it's insane.

Eternally grateful. Rob